Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

GRANDSTAND AT RIAT

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
paulziets

GRANDSTAND AT RIAT

Post by paulziets » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:01 pm

Having just received an email from RIAT reminding all that tickets are running out, it has got me thinking about getting a grandstand ticket for either Saturday or Sunday.

I already have my entrance tickets for both days and would like to hear from forum members whether they think it is worthwhile and if there is enough elbow room to use a camera and 100-400mm lens without falling foul of nearest neighbours on the grandstand.

Regards,

Paul

Mike

Re: GRANDSTAND AT RIAT

Post by Mike » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:03 pm

Moved to the UK Airshows section.

Chris Melaisi

Post by Chris Melaisi » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:14 pm

Hi Paul,

this will be my third year at the grandstand, it is really worth paying the extra for the view you get, it's great not getting heads in your photos!
This year will be my first year with an SLR, i have previously used a bridge camera there and have had no trouble with space.
as you have a 100-400 you could go to the very top row, this will allow you to stand up as obviously your not blocking anyones view!
So basically you will have more room on the top row or aisle seat (Aisle are very annoying a lot of standing up for other folk to get past)
Hope this is of some help,
Chris. :thumb: :thumb:

paulziets

Post by paulziets » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:19 pm

Mike: Appology for posting to the wrong section, thanks for correcting this.

Chris: Thanks for your feedback. I attended RIAT 2010 with my better half and we brought our own chairs for the day we were there. Last year I got rained out and left before anything even flew. This year I am by myself and attending from Park and View on Friday through to Park and View Monday. Following your advice, I have just taken the plunge and bought a grandstand ticket for Sunday. Hope to see you there.

Regards,

Paul

jingernut

Post by jingernut » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:23 pm

What are the sales for the Grandstand like on the day? I am not sure which day I will be attending at the moment and "might" have a look at the Grandstand if I can find some money.

beefsteak

Post by beefsteak » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:45 pm

The Grandstand offers great views , true, but there is always the problem caused by 'enthusiastic' ATC cadets who stand at the tops of all the entrances , thus restricting some of the taxying /take off shots that you should get. (Don't get wrong , I'm not knocking them as they do a great job and that's where they are told to stand) There also seemed to me to be a lot more 'Toing and froing' compared to the FRIAT grandstand

To get a good seat at the back you'll have to get there very early as these are (for obvious reasons) the ones which get snapped up (On a first come first served basis) first.

IMHO if the FRIAT stand was put where the public grandstand is it would be perfection personified ............................. :whistle:
Jim Bowen, on "Bullseye" :- In which state of the U.S.A. is Dallas, Texas ??

mrlovepantsuk

Post by mrlovepantsuk » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:20 pm

I love the grandstand compared to standing on the crowd line, would prefer the FRIAT stand but finances don't allow. One thing though can't understand why the Grandstand isn't in line with the FRIAT stand as you cant really see the aircraft properly until they have passed it.

Return to “RIAT”