Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RIAT post Mildenhall closure

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
peasus911

Re: RIAT post Mildenhall closure

Post by peasus911 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:10 pm

If Mildenhall guys and gals are still at Fairford for the show does that mean we get all of the Burger stands that we all loved in the Mildenhall heyday. That would put a big sock in the food outlets that were ripping everyone off :clap:

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:47 pm

In a word, no!
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

Bob DeBilda

Post by Bob DeBilda » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:58 pm

peasus911 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:10 pm
If Mildenhall guys and gals are still at Fairford for the show does that mean we get all of the Burger stands that we all loved in the Mildenhall heyday. That would put a big sock in the food outlets that were ripping everyone off :clap:
We can but hope ! What a result that would be.
If not then why not the guys from Croughton who did such an excellent job for years at RIAT?

Rory76

Post by Rory76 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:04 pm

Isn’t it just the Rivet joints moving over from Mildenhall, with the tankers heading to Ramstein?

Redflag17

Post by Redflag17 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:42 pm

USAF want more tankers, so if they get them expect Mildenhall to stay open. but that decision is likely to come to late to keep the RC135's at the hall. seems logical to put all the recce assets at the same base. None of this is likely to help keep RIAT at Fairford. Might result in more modern aircraft at Duxford shows

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:12 pm

Yes, the 95th RS have already been officially confirmed to move to FFD.

The 100th ARW & 352nd SOG are near enough confirmed to move to Germany.

Duxford wouldn't have the space to host a RIAT style show.
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

Duntisdave

Post by Duntisdave » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:53 pm

Fair point. Quite possibly more personnel back then. However, it's also possible that some of the posh new private housing that has appeared around the base in the intervening years has been built on former military housing sites and most of the on base accommodation is more than likely long passed its best and probably only really suitable for a short stay while transiting or staying for an airshow. So Fairford will probably need a combination of new and refurbished accommodation for staff and dependents
The existing accommodation block (opposite main gate) was all refurbished about 18 months ago, long before the ‘official’ announcement of the rivet joint move to FFD. There is also plenty of existing housing on site, that has been ‘on loan’ to Brize Norton staff whilst theirs has been refurbished.
None of the new housing around Fairford has been built on former military sites, just former green fields!!!!

Pune

Post by Pune » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:58 am

"Call me a pessimist, but my money is on the Tattoo being in its last few years. There's shrinking military real estate for hosting airshows, there's shrinking budgets, increasing security, shrinking numbers of aircraft to attend, shrinking numbers of personnel available and I personally believe there's a shrinking appetite for airshows from the military. So all in all, I don't believe it would need much of an excuse for the MOD/RAF/USAF to put an end to it. There's been little or no fight to keep all the other shows we've lost and if DBH as a civilian organiser/charity have nowhere else to go, there's nothing they can do about it.
[/quote]"

You're a pessimist :whistle: no offence intended.
I don't see any reason why Riat should not continue at Fairford, I am not in 'the know' like many others on this forum, but did the tattoo not happen when the base was active in the 90's?
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

andrewn

Post by andrewn » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:23 pm

Pune wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:58 am
"Call me a pessimist, but my money is on the Tattoo being in its last few years. There's shrinking military real estate for hosting airshows, there's shrinking budgets, increasing security, shrinking numbers of aircraft to attend, shrinking numbers of personnel available and I personally believe there's a shrinking appetite for airshows from the military. So all in all, I don't believe it would need much of an excuse for the MOD/RAF/USAF to put an end to it. There's been little or no fight to keep all the other shows we've lost and if DBH as a civilian organiser/charity have nowhere else to go, there's nothing they can do about it.
"

You're a pessimist :whistle: no offence intended.
I don't see any reason why Riat should not continue at Fairford, I am not in 'the know' like many others on this forum, but did the tattoo not happen when the base was active in the 90's?
[/quote]

I wish I shared your optimism, but the world has changed significantly since the times you refer too. Security is much tighter, as are operational budgets and manpower is much less than it once was, whilst ever more regulation makes events on the scale of RIAT even more difficult (and expensive) to stage. There's also the ever encroaching housing development on the Fairford airfield boundaries, and in Fairford village itself. It only takes (literally) a handful of these new residents to kick up a fuss about jets "buzzing the house" and RIAT will be dead and buried, sadly!

Hawkwind26

Post by Hawkwind26 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:27 pm

I too sadly think that RIAT will no longer be in the form we've enjoyed for many years. The reasons why have been many and varied as technology, budgets and new form of military defence take shape.
Drones in various guises ( look at what has occurred at Gatwick and RAF Lakenheath today ). Remotely operated systems, increased stealth coupled with budget cuts lead to fewer airbases and those that continue will have greater secrecy and security.
As said, the world has, is and will continue to change. Enjoy while you can and keep good memories.

Pune

Post by Pune » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:08 pm

All points taken, and quite valid, but I like to think on the positive side, at my age that's all you can do :Wow:
What happened at Lakenheath today?
Cheers
Pune
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:58 am

Pune: apparently a drone was reported at 80-100ft just to the north of the field :grr:

Signs are already up at points around the base warning about the use of them ;)

Cannot believe these a$$holes :grr: :grr: :grr:

Paddyboy :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Pune

Post by Pune » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:19 am

paddyboy wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:58 am
Pune: apparently a drone was reported at 80-100ft just to the north of the field :grr:

Signs are already up at points around the base warning about the use of them ;)

Cannot believe these a$$holes :grr: :grr: :grr:

Thanks Paddy, there sure are some T--ts out there..
Have a great festive time Paddy.
Cheers
Pune

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:27 pm

Same to you and yours, mate :thumbs:

XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Droptank

Post by Droptank » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:50 pm

Hello everybody.

Reading through the pessimistic comments regarding RIAT's future after Mildenhall closure has inspired me to add my idea of what I think may occur- this is only my unbiased opinion as is everybody's.

It's obvious that RAF Fairford will certainly gain some permanently based aircraft in the near future with the closure of RAF Mildenhall, but it seems most of the aircraft currently based at Mildenhall that are to change bases will be located elsewhere.

Although it has been suggested that the presence of sensitive aircraft types at RIAT could be seen to be an issue, (although we've seen plenty of sensitive aircraft such as U2s operating from Fairford during the show week before) RAF Fairford's based squadrons are certainly capable of managing the challenge.

This could be done by either keeping the aircraft in their operational sector for the duration of the show or temporarily basing them elsewhere such as RAF Waddington, although RAF Fairford will have a little more activity, it has always been an active USAF base whilst RIAT has been held there so this shouldn't cause too much of a headache.

If, as also mentioned, available space is considered to be an issue, I can't agree with that, RAF Fairford has comfortably accommodated many, many more aircraft than the recent years have produced for the show and could park any based aircraft away from the public.

The show organisers, despite often receiving unfairly negative comments, are also very organised and experienced and can easily manage any challenge for accommodating aircraft, based, show aircraft or otherwise in conjunction with the base USAF teams- the organising team includes Military trained personnel- this isn't like your local vicar organising a tea party!

RIAT has continued to be the world's best military airshow for good reason, it has survived two Gulf Wars and ongoing regional conflicts, UK National Emergencies due to terrorism, increased security requirements, military funding cuts, grounded aircraft types, display teams and fleets, foot and mouth epidemics, volcanic eruptions, a mid-air collision etc etc etc....not to mention cancellation due to the weather!

A result of all this has been a continuous generation of much needed financial support for the RAF Benevolent Fund and significant recruitment of future RAF personnel not to mention unrivalled enjoyment for millions who have attended the show over the years, myself included.

I can't imagine there hasn't been discussions already about the changing future requirements of UK/USAF military commitments and feel sure RIAT will have been a topic for discussion at some point.

So, until we hear otherwise let's keep positively focused on the facts and possibilities of seeing RIAT flourish for years to come, there have been huge changes in years gone by but RIAT has survived them all and we are all very lucky for that!

In the meantime, have a great Christmas and safe and enjoyable New Year.

Take care all.

Droptank.

Return to “RIAT”