Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RIAT 2018 Awards

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
jem60

Re: RIAT 2018 Awards

Post by jem60 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:32 am

I used to suffer from Amnesia once, but I can't remember when it was!!!. :) Thanks for the correction. I was sure it was shortly after a Fairford show. :S :S

gnirtS

Post by gnirtS » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:44 pm

jem60 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:53 pm
GrahamW's comments are interesting, regarding the R.A.F Displays. Over the many years where I did attend Airshows here and abroad, I always felt that the Frecci. and many other foreign teams exhibited more 'panache' than R.A.F participants. Problem is that their accident rate was also considerably higher in many cases!!!. I would rather see a conservative display than a dangerous one!!. As regards the 'Frecci', I was at Fairford watching their display with someone who knew a lot more about flying than I, and we both reckoned that their display was pushing the limits too much. Two weeks later, the Ramstein disaster occurred..................
Little bit unfair. Its not like the Red Arrows haven't had accidents in previous years either.
And let's face it, their displays undergo evaluation and authorisation to fly ensuring they adhere to UK safety rules by an independent (to them) assessor. The limits are set and a display within those limits are fine. "pushing" the limits is fine but not exceeding. It means they're maximising the potential within the safety criteria set.

Airshows in the UK have been tightened massively to the point they're nowhere near as much "fun" as they used to be for the fans. Planes are further away, they're higher, you dont see or experience as much but thats the way it is (whether the CAA have overreacted is another debate completely).

From what i can see, although the reds are good and neat, Frecci and others give in my view better spectacles of displays and they all obey the same safety rules and assessment so its not "cheating".

Redflag17

Post by Redflag17 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:55 pm

The Reds fly well of course but they are not as good as the others at the presentation while they fly - music, chat, you get the leader shouting go and smoke on and off, do most punters care, they want a good show. time for Red 10 to stay in the hangar and get a woman to talk thro the display with music and yes lets have some fireworks too!!

Return to “RIAT”