Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RIAT "Official" Camping Tangerine fields.

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
space monkey

RIAT "Official" Camping Tangerine fields.

Post by space monkey » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:15 pm

RIAT airshow was fantastic. However had a rather disappointing stay this weekend at the "official" RIAT campsite. I'm surprised they're even allowed to be called that as the stay was horrendous. We were led to believe this was a family campsite, even from the RIAT website. However when we arrived we had to park a way from the actual campsite. We had to lug our family tent into the campsite over 500m metres in the searing heat, and everything else needed to support you on camping trip. We could have got over this, however things were going to get alot worse. Music was played by the beer tent until 12:30 am and some ridiculous floodlights like the one you see on night road works lit up the whole campsite. So this made sleeping a nightmare. Waking up on the friday was ok. Walked over to the RIAT and had a great time. Came back, music played until 12:30am again (this is organisers music, not another tent), Kids again unable to sleep. We should really have packed up and gone home at this point but we spent a fortune on this trip and it was a our main family holiday, Saturday morning we awoke to a foul stench in the air which turned out to be the toilets. They'd had the water switched off so there was no where to wash your hands etc, unless you used the taps where everyone got their drinking water from. Lovely, hands that have been in the disgusting toilets all over the drinking water taps. The toilets were overflowing, tissue everywhere, campsite bins overflowing. When we complained we were just met with its a "festival campsite". Things didn't get much better on the sunday morning and somehow some people were allowed to drive on the site and collect their stuff while others weren't? As you can see this was not a very nice stay for us. I hope others had a better stay than us. On top of it all a good thing was the flying displays and static were top notch. But I shan't return to anything "tangerine" again.

Gary
Administrator

Re: RIAT "Official" Camping Tangerine fields.

Post by Gary » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:48 pm

I have to say after staying at the campsite from Wednesday through Monday, I'm almost certain will be rebooking for next year. The only time I noticed the smell was one morning possibly Sunday when I went to use them while they were being cleaned out. We were located near the fence line (flying the banana republic aka Lincolnshire flag) about 20 meters from the beer tent and the other entertainment tent and didn't hear much noise after 23.45.

Yes they could have been more toilet blocks, 4? for a campsite that big was not enough. Would have been nice if they had sorted them out more, not sure if they attended them throughout the day as we were weren't there from 7am to 7pm. The overflowing bins were a negative.

The no cars was a bit of a strange one especially on Wednesday / Thursday when there wasn't many people there. We ended up pulling up to the fence and passing everything over. After the first trip back an forth. All the staff had gone by Sunday evening apart from the food stall. So we moved the car next to the tent.

Met some nice people Neal & Mark, if your reading this hope you are both well. Mark, hope the journey home wasn't to bad mate
Posh are going to Wembley (albeit for a tin cup)

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:03 pm

The burgers were nice :whistle:

Red-Eye-Knight

Post by Red-Eye-Knight » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:41 pm

Hello....I stayed there in 2017 and i know the reason why no cars were allowed by tents, That year on the saturday night some guy got into an arguement and had one to many drinks, He then took his car and started driving round the whole campsite whilst drunk, They were lucky nobody was seriously hurt or killed by this total idiot so you can understand why no cars were allowed by tents, I stayed at Townsend farm this year and i must say it was a massive improvement on Tangerine Fields...Plenty of toilets there were about 15 in each field and there was 5 fields and they were kept spotless the whole weekend, Plenty of hot showers which worked all the time...Barbecue every night with Fish and Chips too, Bacon rolls and coffee and tea in the morning, There was a band on the Saturday night but it was over by 11pm and there was no silly floodlights on all night so was able to sleep quite well, I would recommend looking at them for next year as they are really good only 1 downside is its about a 15-20 min walk to the base from the camp...One last thing about it is its right under the flightpath for runway 27 so the planes are right above your head when landing...Sorry for going on so long.

Return to “RIAT”