Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Royal International Air Tattoo 2018 Discussion Thread

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
sgtangel

Re: Royal International Air Tattoo 2018 Discussion Thread

Post by sgtangel » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:43 pm

As much as I love RIAT (been to nearly every one since 85), and as much as I enjoyed the show, I think it may be the last. The reason? Although no fault of DBH, the flying display is just too high and too far away from the crowd line. I think I need to start looking for a different vantage point.
I felt some of the static was set too far back from the barriers (Norwegian F16s, Flanker, etc being examples) but was pleased that there was so many that were accessible (did not realise how little headroom there was in the cabin of an Osprey!)
Going back to the displays, I still enjoyed them (including the Falcons , PC7 team and the GWDT-shame the Sopwith Tripe and 504 went tech) but i thought the Reds were, well, pants. And that is coming from someone who is a die hard fan, whose later father was a Cheify on the team. Normally on the same level as the Frecce, there just seemed no oomph to their show. Having watched their practice videos from their Greek deployment erlier in the year, I was not expecting much from them and I was proved right (IMHO of course)
Traffic was a breeze. None encountered on the Friday, and on Saturday I headed back to my car after the last act and it only took 10 minutes to get out of the grass car park at the Green end. Brilliant!
By the way, did anyone go to the Tech Zone of Friday? Rammed full of classes of school children, I gave up, but it was pleasing to see so many of them getting so much out of it.

nescafe37

Post by nescafe37 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:44 pm

Well i enjoyed Sunday but i think most of that is due to the weather being so good as it has been mainly overcast for me in previous years. The only thing that done my nut in was people who insist squeezing between mine and the Wifes chairs and the fence and blocking out view. Was not impressed to say the least.. And on another note i wonder if its just coincidence or not but everyone that seemed to try and squeeze in and stick their backsides in our faces all seemed to be wearing Red Arrow caps? lol

Blue Diamond

Post by Blue Diamond » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:55 pm

Alfie wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:26 pm
I'm not sure you can compare The older IAT/RIAT with the present day. I started going to the IAT at Greenham and went to the first ones at Fairford, also if I'm not mistaken one at Boscombe Down. In those long ago days more money was being spent on defence, most of the Air Forces around the world were flying different types of aircraft so there was quite a mixture of types on show and flying and of course the USA were happy to display. Returning to modern times most of the modern front line planes are either F16, F18, or Typhoons so you are bound to get duplications and of course every government has pulled in it's purse strings. I went yesterday had a very good day and will probably return next year, just happy to go to an airshow of such good quality. It is no good looking back to previous shows, or perhaps we all should audition for the next series of Grumpy Old Men if it were to return.
IAT visited Boscombe Down in both 1990 and 1992.
Fighting 92 - The King Cobras
http://www.92squadron.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.92squadron.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blue Diamond

Post by Blue Diamond » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:06 pm

Attended from Thursday to Sunday and enjoyed the lot. Some excellent flying by all concerned and I disagree with the poster(s) who thought that the Reds were pants. Some acts were a tad distant at times but on these occasions I’m happy to down tools and just watch. Would be nice to return to the (R)IATs of old but we live in different times and I’m just happy we can still enjoy shows on the scale of RIAT.
Fighting 92 - The King Cobras
http://www.92squadron.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.92squadron.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

keithholden

Post by keithholden » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:09 pm

Wednesday to Monday. No complaints from me.
Rain on Friday was a pain. But that’s life.

Phantom fanatic

Post by Phantom fanatic » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:43 pm

Think one of the reasons people compare it unfavourably to the 80s and 90s, in those days it was for the aviation enthusiast with organisers pushing for unusual aircraft, this ideology has drastically changed over the last 15 years and it is now a money making circus with some decent aircraft.

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:11 pm

I do see where you are coming from - but isn’t every event that? Duxford, Cosford, Formula 1, football? It’s all the same!
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:36 pm

If the people on here are complaining about the aircraft being to high and to far away, I suggest they visit Weston Air Festival. I'm sure next year I would be better off viewing from the Welsh side of the Bristol Channel. Only got one complaint about this year's RIAT which was trying to get in on the Blue Route on Sunday morning. Now looking forward to next year.

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:42 pm

So do you complain to all those events about comparing the past with the present?

At one time IAT's only occurred every two years, maybe the time has come to revert to that formula. The appetite was whetted even more with a two year gap and the current constant repetition of the same aircraft types may not seem so unbearable and the cost so high.

The price of the check list I still have for the 1977 IAT at Greenham was 10 pence, I dread to think what the rip off was this last weekend.

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:16 pm

The price would naturally raises - can’t really complain about that! That is 41 years ago, when things were cheap but they aren’t now. Thats just how it is.
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:24 pm

It’s simple really for the complainers. Don’t like it, don’t do it again simple really! :thumb:
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

jem60

Post by jem60 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:06 pm

From my point of view, I don't complain about it, because I simply don't go!. Having seen the best over the years, including the Russians etc.,, it is a fair point to compare the modern event with the older ones. I certainly wouldn't see it as complaining. because I totally understand the reasons for the lack of variety. I simply cannot get orgasmic about the fact that a Pakistani Hercules is coming. It's just a Hercules. I am not a photographer or a numbers person, but I DO like to see exceptional piloting, which is why I attend Duxford shows. As someone says, same aircraft all the time, but the best piloting in the world from my point of view. I don't go to Formula 1 anymore, but I realise that everything changes, that's the way it is. So, not complaining about changes, I am accepting it for what it is, but I am afraid us oldies have eyes that glaze over wistfully at the mention of Bears, Backfires, Sea Vixens, Scimitars, Lightnings etc., Oh what happy days those were.

TREBAX_RAVEN

Post by TREBAX_RAVEN » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:07 pm

I found RIAT extremely enjoyable, went there on the Friday and Saturday. The noise, planes, and aircraft that you dont see very often such as the su-27 were all awesome. don't really see how anyone can complain! :thumbs:
At least the reds didn't cock up like the french display team did! :lol:
Tribute to 47 squadron

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:27 pm

See what you are saying jem60 and agree to some extents - fair points!
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

rh226

Post by rh226 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:38 pm

plmc135 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:42 pm
The price of the check list I still have for the 1977 IAT at Greenham was 10 pence, I dread to think what the rip off was this last weekend.
If I recall correctly, the checklists at that time were produced privately by BARG and not by the Air Tattoo organisation. Of course they were correspondingly cheaper.

Alfie, I must have been very lucky as the police diverted me back down the A419 and onto the alternative Blue route, so I sailed straight through and only encountered queues upon rejoining the main Blue route just short of Kempsford. The home to Blue car park trip only took me 15 min longer than when I go to Marston Meysey for the B-1s/B-52s (when present).
Cheers, Bob

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:39 pm

James Cutting wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:16 pm
The price would naturally raises - can’t really complain about that! That is 41 years ago, when things were cheap but they aren’t now. Thats just how it is.
Would be interesting to know how todays prices compare with say 35 yrs ago taking into account the average wage of then and now and rise in the cost of living/inflation etc......

PeteHemsley

Post by PeteHemsley » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:34 am

Well for me RIAT was outstanding. The only comparing I did the whole weekend was which pilot flew the better routine. Yes, we did have a couple of each aircraft flying, but their displays completely different. It's great to see how the pilots choose to display their aircraft.

The weather was an absolute blessing. Watching these mighty fine aircraft being thrown around under skies of blue was just pure enjoyment. The rain shower on Friday was also a blessing for those feeling the heat, not to mention the conditions the added moisture presented.

One of the best RIATS I've ever attended. However, we are British and we do like a moan so you'll always see it on the forums. For those who enjoyed, remember the days. For those who complain .......well. You've only got another year to start your new RIAT complaints.

falconfighting

Post by falconfighting » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:24 am

Really enjoyed this years efforts - can't complain at all.

Only gripe I have are the 2 UK 'Spotters' that thought they had the right to run down the Fire Access route at crowd centre to get themselves airside every time one of the stars of the show was taking off/landing. At least I can put their mugshots on 'Spotter Spotting' to shame them - keep your eyes peeled
Follow me on Twitter @Alex_lowfly

15/06/11 Flight in XX174 through the Mach Loop

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:41 am

I must admit I only went to Monday's park and view - £20 and worth every penny

I don't get the comments about lack of variety - I counted at least 60 different types before i gave up

I remember RIATs from the past when you may have had more numbers but there were an awful lot of similar types such as rows of European F-16s etc

As a spotter I still made about 35 so not complaining at all.

Hope I will still be around for the 2030 event with rows of European F-35s and I will be saying I remember the good old days of Typhoons etc but the B-52H is a good one!

GaryS

Post by GaryS » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:49 am

Had to giggle at the a holes who thought it was their right to have clear,unobstructed shots.shouting at people to get out of the way.
Had it at Yeovilton the previous week too.my missus told him to get lost,though not quite so politely...

Return to “RIAT”