Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Royal International Air Tattoo 2018 Discussion Thread

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
Nighthawke

Re: Royal International Air Tattoo 2018 Discussion Thread

Post by Nighthawke » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:53 am

Good for her :thumbs: Who do these obnoxious anti-social idiots think they are? :grr:

nescafe37

Post by nescafe37 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:02 pm

GaryS wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:49 am
Had to giggle at the a holes who thought it was their right to have clear,unobstructed shots.shouting at people to get out of the way.
Had it at Yeovilton the previous week too.my missus told him to get lost,though not quite so politely...
Well the idiots who decided to squeeze their way in front of me and the wife didnt stand there long..Just damn rude.. When i wanted to take photos i would get up and stand behind my seat so not to obstruct peoples view on up the line...

EF-111

Post by EF-111 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:06 pm

There were a few I wanted unobstructed pictures of on Friday, so I waited until just before closing time. By then all the tables with merchandise had been packed away again too :) The added bonus was catching the Aussie arrive, and then finding the on-base green car park almost deserted :clap:

steve

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:14 pm

Well done to her!! Some people are so rude.
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

Droptank

Post by Droptank » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:04 pm

RIAT 2018- good and bad...

Good;-

Over 300 aircraft and great variety from a Martin Baker Meteor through to the latest hardware in the shape of the F35
Informative, varied and enthusiastic commentary from Ben Dunnel, guest commentators and team
Excellent weather apart from the short rain shower on Friday
Fantastic facilities and educational "break out" zones
3 day flying display
Some great flying demonstrations from WW1 re-enactments to current Role Demos in the shape of the Mirage 200Ds
Extensive static including a number of "firsts" with opportunity to actually get inside many aircraft types
True appreciation of RAF 100 from all participating countries
Lots of opportunities to speak to aircrew who were very encouraging about their aircraft and capabilities (my sons spent 30 minutes having a "Walk round' of the SU27 by the crew chief)
Great "Heritage" flypasts and something special from the BBMF with the "Trenchard" and 617 Sqn tribute flypast
Straightforward access when you think over 150,000 people attended

Bad;-
A year to wait until RIAT 2019

2018 in my mind was a classic year for RIAT, it is interesting to note comparisons with previous years when it was mentioned
many times that..."oh hell, not another Tornado"...and how nowadays the Tornado is passionately heralded as a classic.

Although that is true, and the Tornado will be sadly missed for sure, it just illustrates that nothing stays the same and the
next classic may very well be the new jet of today so lets park the unrealistic comparisons, grumbling etc and just go and enjoy
what in front of you and readily available.

I always use a rule of thumb when gauging the success of any event I go to, based on three parameters.
1. Weather
2.Location (as in position on airfield/flying display distance)
3. Content

Anybody who actually broke away from their computer to attend RIAT must surely agree that all three parameters were met
and in some ways exceeded.

I have to agree with Mr Cutting and encourage both new and old to give RIAT a go in some shape or form in 2019 as it represents,
top, top value.

That's my two-penneth.

Enjoy the rest of the display season whilst you can.

Droptank.

sneezy24

Post by sneezy24 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:06 pm

I'm not sure where people get the idea that there are a lot of rude people on the front.

I have been to lots of departure days now (last 8 years), I don't arrive at opening time, but have never had a problem!

Yes, I have to shoot between people, under armpits etc, but have found everyone polite (even with the guy next to me - we had a few 'lens clashes' but always both apologised), friendly and a pleasant bunch to be with. There has to be give and take, perhaps I have always been lucky with the areas I have chosen.
Canon EOS 80D
Canon 70-300 USM II
Canon 18-135 USM
Uniden 125XLT
Canon 50mm 1.8
Panasonic Lumix TZ70

Phantomrider

Post by Phantomrider » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:51 pm

Droptank,

Whilst I agree with 90% of what you say, my opinion of RIAT 2019 isn't as rosy!

The commentary that Ben Dunnell supplies is bland, scripted and pointless, at least Mark Mainwaring has real experience and stories from his service life. In all honesty, I think that having commentary for the sake of it, is a waste of time, unless it is being done by that performers' own commentator. I would rather hear the aircraft - and yes, I appreciate that some people want the information about the display items, but surely that it was the program is for? ( Once you get past all the adverts!)

The other areas you mention - drop-zones, educational areas, were great and aimed at the future generations who will to some extent have some influence on whether airshows are necessary in the future!

Even though I realise that the number of aircraft types, colour schemes etc are only going to get less and less in the future, I would still rather see 100 grey manned aircraft than anything un-manned, so whilst they still turn up I will enjoy them, but I cannot agree that this or any future shows are top, top value! Since the airshow ( in fact nearly all airshows) have received large amounts of corporate sponsorship, admission prices and associated goods have risen in price. Now, whilst I understand that 'everything else' costs more, the fact that the shows are being sponsored should mean that costs for the great unwashed should remain level - not rise to the extortionate costs of this year. I appreciate that all the airshow profit goes to charity and I whole-heartedly agree with that, but, we all know that the amount of aircraft participation is less than before, and there are more 'non-aviation' people attending than ever before.

It will never be top value again whilst the cost of a ticket is over £50, when you take into account all of the extras that have gone, photo-bus, etc. and having a program that costs £15 just because it is a special year is certainly not value!

I loved the show, the flying, the static stuff, the Italian AF displays - all excellent, but, the costs involved in coming for only one day may be the thing that stops me, and many other people going to the show.

Rant over, all IMHO.

rh226

Post by rh226 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:56 pm

Did anyone find where the "stealthy" BUFF was parked?

According to a couple of announcements early Sunday, something (a stand?) was situated between the B-52 and something else - didn't catch what exactly. :lol:
Cheers, Bob

nescafe37

Post by nescafe37 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:10 pm

sneezy24 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:06 pm
I'm not sure where people get the idea that there are a lot of rude people on the front.

I have been to lots of departure days now (last 8 years), I don't arrive at opening time, but have never had a problem!

Yes, I have to shoot between people, under armpits etc, but have found everyone polite (even with the guy next to me - we had a few 'lens clashes' but always both apologised), friendly and a pleasant bunch to be with. There has to be give and take, perhaps I have always been lucky with the areas I have chosen.
lol. Well the guys that stood in front of my i swear if i was to of sneezed i would of bitten their arses they were that close.. This was a show day and not a arrivals day mind.. The arrivals days i have never had a problem with anyone.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:08 pm

Droptank wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:04 pm
I have to agree with Mr Cutting and encourage both new and old to give RIAT a go in some shape or form in 2019 as it represents,
top, top value.
Out of curiosity what package/ticket did you have and how much did it cost.

For me to attend I would need 3-4 days to justify the drive down. Went to Yeovilton this year and although the entrance fee was reasonable the £4 ice creams and £9 burgers and chips spoilt it, especially when you have two kids on one of the hottest days for years.

jem60

Post by jem60 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:49 pm

Sadly, there are always the occasional non-conformists when it comes to manners. Many years ago, at an arrivals day, I had a guy push in front for his shots, most rudely. Without saying any thing to each other, the guy either side of him [me and A.N. Other] simply jostled him JUST as he was about to take each 'superb' shot. This was pre-digital. He didn't stay very long!!!!. On the other hand, when on the fence line at shows in the States, if it was Thunderbirds, or Blue Angels, I gladly gave up my fence position to American families, especially with young kids, because it was their teams, and their show. English/U.S. relations were much improved by that little gesture [but then I am tall!!!] :) :)

gnirtS

Post by gnirtS » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:00 pm

RIAT claimed to be banning tents, gazebos and ladders within 10m of the crowdline. Despite some signs saying that it wansn't enforced at all. Ladders in particular dont need to be RIGHT on the fence.

Ideally i'd like everything including chairs banned from within say 10m of crowd line to give people who dont take half their house and occupy some land a chance to move around and see or get photos.

That was my main gripe of the whole organisation - the non policing of their own rules.

Hunter49

Post by Hunter49 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:41 pm

The huge problem with fly in days are the people who walk to the front of the queue afte people have been waiting for 90 mins to get in. On thursday when my son and i got in line at0610 there where approx 30 people in front of us , at 0715 there where 200/300 who had arrived and got to there mates, we complained along with many others to RIAT stewards and RAF police they all agreed that the system of getting out of bed at0700 and being at the front was not fair and said they would ask the RIAT top brass to give people the correct position in the queue ,and stop the late arrivals getting saved positions. It was a total disgrace . The people who get to the front in this manner sould be shamed . I saw people taking pictures of this mess ,please post it to RIAT . rob

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:45 pm

What a ridiculous statement - banning chairs from within 10 metres of the crowdline - really? So you are telling me you’d stand for nearly over 8 hours watching a display (whilst blocking everyone behind you), and not sit at all? Chairs are not the problem it’s ladders and arrogant people! I had 0 problems in FRIAT and it will now be my go to package.

Obviously RIAT doesn’t have issue with people not going anymore - still selling out some days and record crowds of 185,000 (total, I believe)

Agree with you there DropTank.

Rob - ageee there but do contact RIAT direct! Will help your case mate.
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

jem60

Post by jem60 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:38 pm

Interesting numbers. 185,000 doesn't compare well with 350,000 for 3 days of Silverstone's British Grand Prix, a much more expensive event to attend!. I would have expected the FRIAT figure to have been higher than stated.

gnirtS

Post by gnirtS » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:12 pm

James Cutting wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:45 pm
What a ridiculous statement - banning chairs from within 10 metres of the crowdline - really? So you are telling me you’d stand for nearly over 8 hours watching a display (whilst blocking everyone behind you)
Sit on the grass or a towel or retire from the crowd line if you want to sit rather than monopolising the prime space. Or if you do take a chair to the crowd line and insist on sitting down to watch displays stop complaining when people stand in front of you.

Leave 10m or so for people that want to watch whats flying and allow the camp ground mentality behind that. People were reserving ridiculous amounts of territory combining chairs with mats. Its meant to be an airshow not a campground.

saint1

Post by saint1 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:41 pm

Rob makes a good point on queue jumping as a similar thing happened on Monday departures BUT around 100 plus people arrived by car before 6am (gates open) and were directed up the Lane opposite and basically many got stuck up there while later arrivals drove straight in arriving after 6am.. However, RIAT try their best as there is no 'perfect' system as you won't stop people running up the queue once the gates open either! Monday was a great day and hope they find some way of expanding it as the demand is there. Finally, a tip, if they continue to sell a batch on the gate for departures turn up early buy one of those and your straight in, many were at the fence line before ticketholders!

WZ744

Post by WZ744 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:35 am

We spent our usual 6 days at RIAT, staying at Kempsford campsite. Enjoyed every minute of it doing 3 days in the show and arrivals/departures. Shame about the cancellations but there was plenty there to keep us happy. Thursday we went to P&V east and found lots of space in the section near the Whelford Road. I had to smile at the guys using huge lenses who set up at the front then rushed en masse to the back fence every time an aircraft approached, presumably to get it in frame. :S
Monday departures spent at P&V west again plenty of space at the right hand end facing the showground made for a very enjoyable day. Already looking forward to RIAT 2019.
Colin.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Zac Hinchcliffe

Post by Zac Hinchcliffe » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:51 am

My third RIAT and third in a row. I always go down for just a day, but feel like I could've easily managed two full days this year. I hardly got a chance to look in the static park thoroughly.

Good:
The displays were all fantastic and from a photographic point of view, the weather was fantastic.
Sunday started with a bang and I personally feel SoloTurk was probably my favourite display. A really strong start. The RAF flypast, BBMF Trenchard and 617 flypasts were all brilliant
I made a mad dash down from Sheffield on Saturday to catch the B-2 watching it from '8 o clock' to the south of the base. A shame it was in the hold for so long, but having waited 22 years to see one, I was over the moon to just see it.
The variety on show in the display. My first show in 2016 seemed to be wall to wall F-16s and Typhoons (which I'm not complaining about) but this seemed to have a superb variety.
Loved the age variety from Great War, to WW2, cold war jets, Gulf war jets and 5th generation. Really nice way to celebrate 100 years.
Unlimited cloud base allowing for full displays from almost everyone. Last couple of years have been majorly hampered by the weather.
Not sure how I managed it, considering the reports of traffic, but as always, I was amazed by the military precision of traffic enforcement to an area that really shouldn't have that much traffic. Try getting out a music festival with that ease. It's extremely impressive.

Bad:
I appreciate it can't be helped but it was soul destroying in the last week reading about all the cancellations. Certainly for a couple of the heavies missing, it made the static park seem a little spaced out in certain areas. A real shame considering how much was actually there!
The food prices which are a 'festival' standard but I made a complaint to RIAT following purchasing outrageously priced 'fresh donuts' from the red section which were not fresh. I actually saw them take them out plastic packaging and coat them with sugar after I'd bought them. I had a similar issue with fish and chips last year that were just deep fried oven chips.
My only two negatives from the flying display was the Spartan and the T-346. It was a fantastic display showing the operational capabilities, but the show last year even with a restricted ceiling, was incredible. A heavy shouldn't be able to do that. A real shame it wasn't shown off this year. The T-346 is such a great looking jet and it's a great display, but my photos the last two years have been terrible compared to the other performances. Hopefully in a year or so they'll actually be able to drop below 'way too high for decent photography'. A selfish gripe, but when in Rome! :halo:

The bad really are minor though as I loved every minute of it.

Probably my favourite show I've been to and I'd agree that this will be a classic. Already looking forward to 2019.

Zac
Flickr Page - Mainly RAF Coningsbyhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/140105351@N07/?

Date of last RAF Tornado seen in flight - 07/03/2019 - ZD744 / 092 storming Donna Nook

Yunglee

Post by Yunglee » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:31 am

This was our first year in the FRIAT enclosure partly as a reward to my 16 year old son for his hard work in the run up to his GCSE's and partly for my father in recovery from cancer. We stayed from Tuesday until the Monday departures and although we left knackered, we had an absolutely amazing boys trip away.

We camped in the Tangerine fields which was fantastic with clean toilets and showers and on site hot food. That changed after Thursday when the camp site filled up and clearly 16 toilets are not enough for the supposed 2000 tenters!!! But the slowly disintegrating toilets and luke warms showers didn't drop the mood.

The arrivals, show days and departures where all great and staying for so long allowed us to catch different light conditions especially as the flight programme changed from day to day.

I have to agree with the earlier comments about the arrivals day in Park and View east. My Dad decided he wanted to be one of the first few through the gates, bearing in mind he's recovering from cancer, no mean feat getting up at 5am. We where in a good position but between 6:30-7:30 loads of people turned up and slowly joined the large group of people in front of us. The final straw must have been when a couple of French lads joined their party in front of us carrying there Costa Coffee! at 7:15am.

In future I'll happily give up a fence line position to arrive after 7:30 and simply walk in.

Lee.

Return to “RIAT”