Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Departures Day: A Winge and a Request

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
ChrisCwmbran

Re: Departures Day: A Winge and a Request

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:20 am

Incidentally, the RIAT guy did ask if we thought arranging the viewing fence in a kind of saw tooth arrangement so adjacent sections of fence are at 90 degrees to each other would help?

We talked about the kind of grandstands that are built on the back of a trailer and whether if they were used they could be re-deployed from other areas after the weekend. My understand from what he said was that the more "furniture" they provide the more people try to pursue insurance claims against them... and perhaps that the cost of public liability insurance for a day like this might be once of the main costs.

Either way, personally I think if our motivations are honourable, we should seek clarification in this.

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:43 am

Sadly Chris you get many obnoxious ***** like that!
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:44 am

Blackcat1 wrote:Sadly Chris you get many obnoxious ***** like that!
Well who knows, I might upload all three photos I got for people to see later ;)

dazza

Post by dazza » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:15 am

Park and view west yesterday was a car crash anyone who said there was no issue must have been somewhere else. We arrived at 06.30 and there was already a long queue but hay ho. What gets me is why so many people have to run to get to the fence (3 ft high) and then set up a ladder and as for asking to come in thats fine but pushing in so they are less than 6 inches from the front of my lense so i could see nothing is plain ignorant he then blamed the others in front of him for blocking his view. They should have a ladder enclosure at west end as they do east and people should remember we are all there for the same reason and as such should have consideration for others. One ladt thing if you wish to be at the front then get up early as other people do dont spend the morning in bed then meander in and think you have the god given right to be at the front YOU DONT
Dazza

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:26 am

dazza wrote:One ladt thing if you wish to be at the front then get up early as other people do dont spend the morning in bed then meander in and think you have the god given right to be at the front YOU DONT
Its easily said when you live in Oxfordshire and don't have to drive far to get there, or as I say its so hot and you have a lady in her 70s with you.

grahamdevizes

Post by grahamdevizes » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:34 am

I've enjoyed this great hobby of ours for 45 years and it never ceases to amaze me how rude, inconsiderate or downright obnoxious a tiny minority can be when it suits them. I remember attending a show at Biggin Hill way back in the mid 1970's - one of the hangars was closed save for a small gap in the door where you could see what was inside but could not read any of the reggies. A kindly person, probably a show helper or an aircraft owner had written the reggies of the occupants onto a small blackboard which he propped up against the hangar door. As I walked towards the hangar I saw a rather rotund bloke write down the reggies and then wipe the blackboard clean with his t-shirt, thus denying anyone else from being able to ID the aircraft inside.

Hopefully, he got run over by a steamroller at some point in his later life.
You can find me and 600 other enthusiasts at http://aviationforall.proboards.com

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:18 am

dazza wrote:Park and view west yesterday was a car crash anyone who said there was no issue must have been somewhere else. We arrived at 06.30 and there was already a long queue but hay ho. What gets me is why so many people have to run to get to the fence (3 ft high) and then set up a ladder and as for asking to come in thats fine but pushing in so they are less than 6 inches from the front of my lense so i could see nothing is plain ignorant he then blamed the others in front of him for blocking his view. They should have a ladder enclosure at west end as they do east and people should remember we are all there for the same reason and as such should have consideration for others. One ladt thing if you wish to be at the front then get up early as other people do dont spend the morning in bed then meander in and think you have the god given right to be at the front YOU DONT

We got there (west) at about 7:30am drove straight in and the queue was already moving quite quickly , we were inside in well under five minutes and then found a position on the left hand side.

There were already loads of cars inside so they must have got there really early - first departure isn't until about 9?

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:26 am

By the way can anybody give a report of the central park and view area?

I drove into the carpark by accident and thought it looked too quiet so it can't be any good - and drove out to the western end.

Do you get a runway view of is it only taxying shots?

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:06 am

slogen51 wrote:By the way can anybody give a report of the central park and view area?

I drove into the carpark by accident and thought it looked too quiet so it can't be any good - and drove out to the western end.

Do you get a runway view of is it only taxying shots?
As far as I know there is only east and west. I wonder what it is you found?

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:33 pm

People were being directed into the fields off top lane , near dunfield and queuing at a gate to get in. I didn't stick around and went back up the road to the annoyance of incoming cars - sorry.

sabrejet

Post by sabrejet » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:17 pm

slogen51 wrote:People were being directed into the fields off top lane , near dunfield and queuing at a gate to get in. I didn't stick around and went back up the road to the annoyance of incoming cars - sorry.
FRIAT/grandstand: not P&V.

Glad someone else (see further up) got to the 09 P&V same time as us and had no hassle. It does make me wonder why our experience sounded so positive compared to others who got there earlier?

Life's what you make it eh?

:D

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:49 pm

Thanks for the reply - I couldn't figure it out.

There are some nice shots of the F-4E just getting airborne - I reckon they were taken from the grandstand

Rob666

Post by Rob666 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:26 pm

I arrived early got the space wanted at the front. In the day others got their lenses between me and the next person to get a picture no problem. What was darn annoying was the fact that the guy to the side of me stood on some of those small kitchen steps and he was at the front? Begs belief, and thanks to him missed the special F4... :grr:

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:53 pm

I turned up at the West (Marston Meysey) end yesterday just after 8am, saw the crowds in the compound and just couldn't be arsed going inside. I simply parked along the fence in the car park and set up shop with my ladders, deckchair, camera/scanner, and then promptly put the kettle on for a brew :thumb: Bags of space, no walking hundreds of yards lugging everything but the kitchen sink, only to end up snarling cheek by jowl with my temporary neighbours. I had a cracking view down the flight-line, got some great taxi shots and managed to pan some spectacular take offs, reckon I got better pix than the t*ss*rs at the front with their three metre high stepladders :P . And on firm concrete standing next to my car, all very civilised. :)

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:37 pm

Yes I can understand and sympathise with what you are saying Chris. Unfortunately Departure Day in P&V East is always a rugby scrum. I don't even bother to try and get photos now - i just do some videoing which i can lift up to clear the rows of heads in front.

You even get a similar scrum on the arrival days - with some photographers constantly having to dash back and forth and regularly going into the disabled area to get their shot (which does irk me).
I'm personally more than happy to sit back from the crowds and still get plenty of approach and landing shots.

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:23 pm

TARDIS, please :lol:

Paddyboy :lol:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

sneezy24

Post by sneezy24 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:47 pm

I agree about fence line hogs.

It would be nice if ladders/steps could be used, say, 25ft behind fence?

I've even thought about getting some of these: http://www.toolstop.co.uk/index.php?opt ... gLPRPD_BwE

... with some extra long flares (purple cord of course).......
Canon EOS 80D
Canon 70-300 USM II
Canon 18-135 USM
Uniden 125XLT
Canon 50mm 1.8
Panasonic Lumix TZ70

jem60

Post by jem60 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:19 pm

In the days that I used to go, if someone pushed in, he got short shrift from people either side [one of them was me,] 'cos every time he went for a shot he got jolted some how. People like that don't hang around long when that happens all the time. Bashing their head with one's lens when turning round also helps. :)

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:02 pm

Hi John :P

You and me together :lol:

Another reason not to go any more :lol:

Paddyboy :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:53 pm

You don't push you in, you ask politely ;-)
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

Return to “RIAT”