Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RIAT 1985 Flying display list.

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
Scudpilot

RIAT 1985 Flying display list.

Post by Scudpilot » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:23 pm

Hi All,
I am trying to get a list of participating aircraft both flying and static for RIAT 1985
Anyone able to assist please?
Nikon D7000, Nikon 200-500
http://www.flickr.com/jimpritchard67

plmc135

Re: RIAT 1985 Flying display list.

Post by plmc135 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:09 pm

Scramble airshow database has report for IAT 1985.

http://www.scramble.nl/?option=com_show ... GB&id=1356

eagle driver

Post by eagle driver » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:22 pm

15 F-104s Now that was when we had a proper air show not the farce we have today.

f1jetfan

Post by f1jetfan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:27 pm

Not the farce we have today......
Are you serious

jem60

Post by jem60 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:44 pm

Eagle IS being serious. If you look at the list you will understand why he says that. Of course, nobody expects it to be like 1985, but that list will tell you why a lot of us oldies can't be bothered to go anymore!!!.

footes

Post by footes » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:11 pm

I have only been going for 10 years or so to the show and I have noticed a marked reduction in the size of the show ground, static and flying aircraft as well as on the ground with entertainment and stalls. The group I go with used to go for the two days (before arrivals and departures days) due to the vastness and the amount to do and see. Now they have cut it down to just the Saturday due to their experiences and have even questioned whether it is worth the expense, travel and time to continue going.

luke28

Post by luke28 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:37 pm

eagle driver wrote:15 F-104s Now that was when we had a proper air show not the farce we have today.
The most ridiculous short sighting comment that I have seen on any aviation forum.

eagle driver

Post by eagle driver » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:42 am

luke28 wrote:
eagle driver wrote:15 F-104s Now that was when we had a proper air show not the farce we have today.
The most ridiculous short sighting comment that I have seen on any aviation forum.
Well good for you Luke ,now that you have seen it you no longer need to make stupid remarks .When are you going to realise just how much of a ripoff RIAT has become.
Or are you of the age that does not remember when we had proper airshows .
Once we could count on it being something to get excited about now it's just something to do and get out of the way.
Don't take this as a personal attack but if we just carry on as we are there won't be a decent show in the UK .Every year we have more corporate stands, more market stalls more car displays ,this is supposed to be an air show not a carnival.
I no that I am not alone in these views so hopefully it there viewed maybe we will finally be listened too by the powers that be.

jem60

Post by jem60 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:44 am

If that's the case, you haven't read many Aviation Forums then!. :)

eagle driver

Post by eagle driver » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:10 am

jem60 wrote:If that's the case, you haven't read many Aviation Forums then!. :)
Confused , please explain

jem60

Post by jem60 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:55 am

Sorry, Eagle. It was meant for Luke to read. :Oops:

luke28

Post by luke28 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:41 am

eagle driver wrote:
luke28 wrote:
Well good for you Luke ,now that you have seen it you no longer need to make stupid remarks .When are you going to realise just how much of a ripoff RIAT has become.
Or are you of the age that does not remember when we had proper airshows .
Once we could count on it being something to get excited about now it's just something to do and get out of the way.
Don't take this as a personal attack but if we just carry on as we are there won't be a decent show in the UK .Every year we have more corporate stands, more market stalls more car displays ,this is supposed to be an air show not a carnival.
I no that I am not alone in these views so hopefully it there viewed maybe we will finally be listened too by the powers that be.
I've been going since 1996, I'm fully aware of how it used to be, do I miss it? Yes, do I understand that those days are gone? Yes, Times change, climates change, military's change, funds change, politics change, half the aircraft that used to go aren't available any more, you either adapt with it or complain about the good old days on the internet.
Rip off? Even with the lesser numbers of aircraft and rise of corporate hospitality etc its still by far the best airshow in Europe when it comes to variety, numbers and getting something different.
To lavel it as a farce is showing a huge lack of understanding on your behalf.

Rob666

Post by Rob666 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:13 am

Eagle Driver I assume as its such a rip off you won't be going.

The fact is no other show has the variety of Air Arms and aircraft which attend, I look forward to the Farce! ;) Bring it on!

Rob

eagle driver

Post by eagle driver » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:22 am

Rob666 wrote:Eagle Driver I assume as its such a rip off you won't be going.

The fact is no other show has the variety of Air Arms and aircraft which attend, I look forward to the Farce! ;) Bring it on!

Rob
Correct!well not on the show days gave that idea up as a bad joke years ago.

Rob666

Post by Rob666 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:55 am

To me its the whole thing, some time to soak up and enjoy the smell and noise. Probably get more out of the arrivals, while I understand the old days won't ever return wish I could have had a digital camera then.

Rob

footes

Post by footes » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:57 am

Forgive me if I seem thick but surely primarily this first and foremost about is contributing to the RAF Charitable Trust. Whilst it is an air show first what is wrong with incorporating more stalls and entertainment on the ground to make it a more rounded family entertainment, not every body in the family are in to solely aircraft. At the majority of Air shows Culdrose, Yeovilton etc. there are always fun fairs and stalls and these give extra revenue to the trusts by paying their ground rents.

Rob68

Post by Rob68 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:23 pm

Does this help,
https://flic.kr/p/cimkSW
You'll have to scroll my flickr all 3 pages

jem60

Post by jem60 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:16 pm

I must confess that I am looking back on all this as an 'oldie'. Nothing, of course, is going to be the same as 'back in the day', be it Motorsport, Tennis, Football, or even Airshows!!. Problem that some of us have is that having seen 'the best'. the second rate shows that we have now, comparing to 'then', make it a disappointing excursion, with all of us crowded round saying 'do you remember when...' etc.,. I am certain that many of you will have a hugely enjoyable experience, especially if you are recent visitors to RIAT. These days I try to be tolerant of all views, because everyone is entitled to their own view. It may not be mine, but that certainly doesn't mean that yours is wrong. Whatever floats your boat. I no longer go Motor Racing, or even to Duxford, except on pre show days. It's not the same, but it's what it is!!. Y'all have a good time now!. Regards, John.

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:54 pm

Isn't it amazing, everyone is complaining about the reduced numbers of aircraft appearing at shows, but this has been going on for many a year, way back beyond the idea of RIAT and its predecessors. It is more a pity that some of the smaller "At Home", not family days, events did not survive rather than those who wait with bated breath for RIAT. They used to attract some interesting visitors.

In 1953 at the Coronation Review of the RAF and Commonwealth air forces there were over 300 aircraft in the static display and a further 600 in the massed flypasts. There were over 200 Meteors alone flying. By 1993 when we celebrated the 75th Anniversary of the RAF we were looking at about 200 aircraft total and next year for the 100th almost certainly even less.

It is just life, most air forces have down sized and do not have the funds to send an aircraft half way around the world just to appear at an airshow. Who remembers all the weekend fighter visitors we used to get at the USAF bases; no longer, a USAFE F-16 at a UK base is now a novelty! :grr:

Droptank

Post by Droptank » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:04 pm

I feel duty bound to add my views on IAT/RIAT good old days versus what we can look forward to next month- sorry it goes on a bit.

I went to my first "Air Tattoo" at Greenham Common in 1973, I'd never heard of the place and went on a bus trip from Manchester, spending
only one day at the show in the sunshine.

It had an indelible impact on me as I had never seen an airshow of this type (the weather helped), my main shows being Woodford, Church Fenton etc.

To see a US Army Chinook, Cobra, Skycrane, KC97 etc was amazing, things I had only seen in magazines.

That was then and it inspired me to go to every IAT/RIAT show, barring three, since.

If I remember rightly there were around 150 participants in 1973 and included a range of aircraft that probably wouldn't be seen elsewhere in the UK.

The now.

If you were to ask any new RIAT visitor what he thought of the 2016 show, I guess he/she would have said something along the lines of "I never thought
I would see a Greek Phantom or an F22 fly, I've only seen them on YouTube"- it was great!

So, after over forty years, the effect is pretty much the same, a great, and unique, air show attracting rare and spectacular aircraft from far-flung
continents around the world- take it for what it is rather than what it was.

We can all "wish" for the old days but as so many people have said, they're gone for good, but who in 1973 would have thought in future years we
would see a Russian Bear, Pakistani Hercules or Japanese Kawasaki sub hunter at RIAT???- not many!..things change quickly.

What we have now is a fantastic air show that is head and shoulders above any air show across the world from both a quality and quantity perspective,
it is also well organised and only ever disrupted by the weather.

Having wild expectations about what "should" come to RIAT is a little short-sighted and I do appreciate that some of the requests are made tongue in cheek.

To suggest that the RIAT team are doing anything less than trying to attract the very same aircraft you desire is unfair, they deserve far greater appreciation
than they receive for their efforts in my opinion.

The recent team has picked up the baton from Paul Bowen who started it all with Tim Prince and they are now successfully attracting the right sort of attendees
based on their own growing reputation and that of the show- and it shows.

To describe RIAT as a "Farce" is simply unreasonable, it remains the show to go to above all others and I for one am very happy that we (in the UK) are fortunate
enough to host it.

If you have a quiet moment waiting for the next update, think back a bit and list the aircraft that you HAVE seen at RIAT, you then can beat yourself up for
not making the most of them when they were sat in front of you on static or flying!

This year is no different to any other, we have a great air show to look forward to and hopefully once the F22 starts to roll all preconceptions of it being
a "farce" will be forgotten.

Hopefully I am not alone in giving advanced thanks to the RIAT team for what they have achieved so far with so much global unrest and commitment of
armed forces, I can't wait, it's my birthday on July 11th and I can't think of a better way to spend it than travelling to RIAT!

Droptank.

Return to “RIAT”