Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RIAT 2017 Friday traffic

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
downhilldave

RIAT 2017 Friday traffic

Post by downhilldave » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:19 am

Hi!
I'd be grateful for a heads-up on the traffic I could expect on the Friday of RIAT this year, please.
My memory of the last visit, a Saturday, (whichever year it was that the B-2 flew over from the US and immediately returned after its flypast. 2002?) was of catastrophic traffic queues, necessitating parking literally miles away and walking in. That has put me off ever since.
So the question I have is what time would I be recommended to arrive on Friday to ensure I see all of the early action? I know the car parks are open at 6.00 am and the airfield at 07.30 but in peoples' experience are there already sizeable queues at 6.00? Or is it likely that getting there at around 7.00 will still suffice to be able to get onto the airfield at 07.30?
I genuinely have no real feel for the likely congestion at that time of the day on the Friday - any help would be gratefully received!
Last edited by downhilldave on Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old enough to have been taught to fly by Basil Pring in a Rallye 150 at Dunkeswell - and lived to tell the tale!
Claim to fame? My mum once danced with Guy Gibson. Honestly...

Undertaker

Re: RIAT 2017 Friday traffic

Post by Undertaker » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:59 am

Last couple of time I've been on a Friday have left Aylesbury at 0600L and arrived in small q around 0715-0730L [via Lechlade] parked on Airfield hard standing then wait for the entrance to open, one year the ticket scanners weren't working and had to wait until gone 0800L to go through Security

Andrewdone

Post by Andrewdone » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:57 am

My first Friday visit this year, all being well will get in around 10!

Droptank

Post by Droptank » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:41 pm

Guys.

An early start is the key for avoiding any traffic and getting into the airshow to reduce queuing at the car parks or access gates.

Although it can't be ruled out completely, even if you get there before the gates open, as lots of people have the same idea (particularly if they have visited previously) but it isn't anything like a football crowd scenario by any means.

Friday is now treated as a "Display" day and therefore is busier than it used to be but isn't anywhere near as busy as the weekend days.

When you consider the number of people, safety and security requirements, scale of access roads, people that turn up either at the wrong gate or without a ticket, there is
inevitably going to be a need to wait somewhere along the journey for somebody who is less organised than you are, frustrating as it may be.

The volunteers and military personnel are really well briefed and get things moving efficiently to ensure you are well cared for and more importantly are secure during your visit.

Considering what you intend taking into the show in advance is a good idea and if you are asked to open a camera bag for a search, don't feel victimised or complain, the security of everybody is paramount and a 30 second delay getting in surely won't harm.

Soooooo, set the alarm for crazy o'clock and get mobile!...you can have a kip in the car once parked up of course but by that point, seeing all the aircraft tails and the sheer anticipation of the day gets the adrenalin pumping which may prevent that!

A short delay or wait will definitely be worth it, particularly this year as it's turning out to be a fantastic show.

Have a great time and stay safe.

Droptank.

Return to “RIAT”