Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

park and view east arrivals

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
raptor76

park and view east arrivals

Post by raptor76 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:22 pm

How many of you are going to be in park and view east from Wednesday onwards?

On which of the three days do you think the already confirmed aircraft are likely to arrive?

jingernut

Re: park and view east arrivals

Post by jingernut » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:27 pm

raptor76 wrote:On which of the three days do you think the already confirmed aircraft are likely to arrive?
I would imagine all three days. Or are you looking for info on what aircraft types on what days? That you won't get until right up until the day or two before.

raptor76

Post by raptor76 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:38 pm

Just a rough idea of what is likely to arrive on any of the three days, is the a pattern like do the USAFE tend to arrive on the Thursday, do the aircraft in the flying display tend to arrive on the Wednesday?

jingernut

Post by jingernut » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:34 pm

Only thing I tend to remember is that large aircraft like the B52 and B1 used to arrive early on the Wednesday. Nothing is for certain though until much closer to the day. I would say that a lot would most likely be in before Friday as Friday is a show day (not a full day though) and there will be some arrivals that day... don't take my word for it though!

adimale1981

Post by adimale1981 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:23 pm

This topic shows last years arrivals - viewtopic.php?f=335&t=134053 both arrival days quite busy, and no real pattern... Just enjoy! Friday has a few movements into the Green zone statics, I don't think park and view is open then as its a 'full' day nowadays?

There are not just arrivals but validations too, not that I get to see it all as I volunteer (possibly the best 5 days of volunteering :cool: ).

Hope that link helps though!

pmb968

Post by pmb968 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:07 pm

What time do arrivals normally start, is it usually after 8, or earlier still?

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:23 pm

I'd expect a few earlier arrivals on Wednesday.

Droptank

Post by Droptank » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:09 am

RIAT arrivals.

Obviously there are plans in hand for arrival times at RIAT as always- I hope the info below is of help to "newbies" but I realise
most people who have been before will know all of this already.

Often operational requirements "get in the way" of arrivals for the show, particularly aircraft that are appearing as static
items as they aren't dedicated "show aircraft" and often combine an operational deployment with their appearance at the show,
meaning they may arrive early.

Although Wednesday, Thursday and Friday are noted as "arrivals' days, in reality aircraft do arrive from Monday/Tuesday onwards and
as previously mentioned on this thread, Friday is now a display day, albeit a smaller affair than the shows on Saturday and Sunday so
most of the static aircraft of note are in place by Friday 1000hrs.

The inclusion of the Thunderbirds will probably mean that they will arrive earlier in the week than most teams/items along
with their support aircraft, they like to get things organised and are likely to display a couple of times before show days which
will be a real bonus (for most!).

Having attended most RIAT shows in recent years, the trend is for a handful of aircraft to turn up Monday and Tuesday, but the
majority of the aircraft, display or static, arrive Wednesday and Thursday with local aircraft such as BBMF/Historics/Private
turning up on Friday morning or late afternoon Friday.

"Normally" the larger aircraft arrive on Wednesday so they can be set up in static areas and the smaller aircraft filling in the gaps
but there are exceptions of course which are planned in, there is a great cross-section of types on both Wednesday and Thursday.

Consequently, Wednesday and Thursday are the busiest days for arrivals, normally starting around 0800 until 1630 each day but
some support aircraft do come in outside of these hours (and many come in and go out again).

The RIAT team publish an arrivals schedule each day and these are pretty accurate, but as always, subject to operational needs
or snags and a few cancellations, practice displays are also noted in the schedule.

Best (and safest) viewing is from either of the "Park & View" dedicated areas at either end of the runway, offering good facilities
for parking, toilets (disabled too) and usually a burger van or stand, the Park & View areas are open until 1630 as a rule.

I hope all this helps anybody who is contemplating arriving early for the show, it's well worth it, particularly for photographers as
it permits photography of aircraft destined for static display without the usual clutter, cones and people.

Have a great time.

Droptank.

markranger

Post by markranger » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:09 pm

Hi

Is the park and View just a turn up affair or do you have to book tickets in advance?

Thanks
Nikon D850
Nikon D600
Nikon D500
Nikon 300 F2.8 VR1

Yunglee

Post by Yunglee » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:14 pm

Hi Mark,

From the RIAt website...

"Where can I buy a ticket for Park & View?

Tickets can be bought in advance on our website or on the day at either Park & View enclosure. Children under 16 are admitted free when accompanied by a paying adult.

Your ticket will allow you to move between Park and View East and West as you please during that day, but please note that no transport is provided between the locations."

http://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/visiti ... k-and-view

Lee.

markranger

Post by markranger » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:10 pm

Thank you Lee. :thumb:
Nikon D850
Nikon D600
Nikon D500
Nikon 300 F2.8 VR1

sneezy24

Post by sneezy24 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:02 am

Going on Thursday. Not done arrivals before (apart from Friday 2014 and 2016). Done Departure Monday every years since 2012!

Also doing the full show on Saturday, and will try to put my camera down for a while and WATCH the displays!

Does P&V East have a separate ladder section on Thursday? (I know it does on Monday)

No doubt see some of you there!

Mick
Canon EOS 80D
Canon 70-300 USM II
Canon 18-135 USM
Uniden 125XLT
Canon 50mm 1.8
Panasonic Lumix TZ70

Yunglee

Post by Yunglee » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:56 am

I went last year to the arrivals for the first time and there was a separate section for ladder and steps in P&V east. Lee.

apex

Post by apex » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:49 pm

P&V east has a separate ladder enclosure both Weds & Thurs, it is to the south east of the internal road that heads northeast and on to pass the eastern end of runway 27. The non step ladder area is to the west of this road, i.e. nearer the runway piano keys.

There is no restriction at P&V west but as this end is less popular, it is not an issue.

sneezy24

Post by sneezy24 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:34 pm

Cheers,

I just took a kitchen step to P&V Monday last year, I was well back from the fence but still got told I couldn't use it (by a rather stroppy woman in uniform). (so I sat on it!!! and sometimes just happened to step onto it...) :whistle:
Canon EOS 80D
Canon 70-300 USM II
Canon 18-135 USM
Uniden 125XLT
Canon 50mm 1.8
Panasonic Lumix TZ70

Return to “RIAT”