Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Viewing options for 2017

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
aaronjw

Viewing options for 2017

Post by aaronjw » Thu May 04, 2017 6:29 pm

Hello
I have tickets for Saturday this year but I'm planning on attending the whole weekend by using other viewing options such as totterdown park and view on Sunday.
I'd like to know the best way to get access to the popular area of runway 27 end on Thursday and possibly Friday. I've seen from videos on YouTube that it's very popular and would like to view from there on these days.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

keithmbell

Re: Viewing options for 2017

Post by keithmbell » Mon May 22, 2017 5:46 pm

If you want to view arrivals I would go on Wednesday as a very large proportion of participants will arrive that day. Some display validation will also take place.
Thursday is usually for the rest of the arrivals and most of the display validation flights.
Friday is basically a mini airshow.
The 27 threshold is fine for arrivals if they are using that end, but wind direction can mean they come in or take off from the other end.
To get to either end of the runway you will have to walk as there is no parking although you could pay and use the park and view option.
The down side to being off base is you will not be close to the aircraft on the ground. If that is what you want, you will have to use park and view but be warned, get there early or you will be staring at the back of peoples heads and lots of umbrellas.
Hope this helps.
Keith.

apex

Re: Viewing options for 2017

Post by apex » Mon May 29, 2017 7:46 pm

The popular 27 end will be park and view east or the road running past that end. You have to pay for park and view and if you go for the free roadside option, you will need to find somewhere to park, which I guess would be difficult.

Park and view east is good if runway 27 is in use. It is a large area, so if you only want to view, there is plenty of space if you sit back from the crowd line.

Park and view west is ok whichever runway is in use and it is less crowded than p&v east when 27 is being used, less so if on 09 but most of the action will be on the ground rather than flying when using 27.

Try and check the forecast wind directions, that may help you decide which end to go to. Alternatively a quick glance down the runway will reveal the sets of red lights either side of the runway indicating the end being used. They won't be evident from the end not being used.

Return to “RIAT”