Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Air Cadets at RIAT

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
joe spares

Air Cadets at RIAT

Post by joe spares » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:54 am

Are there any cadets here going on camp at RIAT?
My lad has just had his place taken off him as apparently they have just introduced a 14yrs minimum age limit, can anyone confirm this? Needless to say he (we!) are a bit annoyed to find out this close, as he has now missed out on a camp to Lossiemouth and FRIAT membership off the back of this.... :( have emailed dbh with no response !

James Cutting

Re: Air Cadets at RIAT

Post by James Cutting » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:46 pm

Hi Joe!

I'm an Air Cadet (last 5.5 years) and I am personally not going with the ATC, but on my own.

I can confirm in regards to the 14 years limit - I am aware this has been the case for the last few years with a lot of camps. It's a shame, but in this unfortunate day and age, H&S takes rule... :grr:

I hope this clarifies this up for you...Any further questions, just let me know or check with the CO :)

All the best to your lad in the ATC :thumb:
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

XPLUMBER

Post by XPLUMBER » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:01 pm

Sounds like a bad case of poor communication, I am sure that age limit has been in place for ages.

I thought you could join the ATC at 13 Yrs and 9 Months and had to be 14 Years old to partake in any of the activities.

How was he going to get FRIAT membership "off the back of this"?
CANONs carried by an ARMOURER!

hangars are for shirts!

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:06 pm

XPLUMBER wrote:Sounds like a bad case of poor communication, I am sure that age limit has been in place for ages.

I thought you could join the ATC at 13 Yrs and 9 Months and had to be 14 Years old to partake in any of the activities.

How was he going to get FRIAT membership "off the back of this"?
Yes, this rule has been in for years.

As well as that, the age to join has lowered to 12 years.
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

joe spares

Post by joe spares » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:46 pm

Cheers for the replies, appears it was his sqn that fked up then giving him a place, and letting him apply in the first place when they knew he wasnt 14 !
As for the FRIAT bit, l would have renewed both our memberships, but as he was supposed to be going with cadets, l didnt! Hence now no camp, no FRIAT for him..... :(
Oh well, roll on 2018 then!

XPLUMBER

Post by XPLUMBER » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:30 pm

Surely it would be worth contacting DBH and explaining that you would like to add him to your FRIAT package, got to be worth a go!
CANONs carried by an ARMOURER!

hangars are for shirts!

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:03 pm

The minimum entry age for cadets is 12yrs 9 months. I used to be an instructor with the ACF and I seem to remember something about increasing the age to attend camp but don't know what the final outcome was(I left in 2003). I do know that a 13 yr old being away from Mum and Dad for 2 weeks was a massive strain on most at that age, and it was a massive problem for us when we were 400 miles away and the cadet needed home, I don't think there was any mention of applying the same rule to training weekends though.

joe spares

Post by joe spares » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:47 pm

Acc to atc ages i found online, they can go on anual camp at 13 and 3 mths, guess 14 is an iat mandate. Hence he could have used his school authorised absence granted for riat this week instead and gone to lossie! Its just been a bit annoying to have had his hopes dashed after managing to gain a place, as there are only a few places for each wi g/sqn chances of getting another are probably slim, he will have to endure sitting with dad in friat next year!

Return to “RIAT”