Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Townsend Camping

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
James Cutting

Re: Townsend Camping

Post by James Cutting » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:17 pm

benno wrote:
James Cutting wrote:
benno wrote:So how did you guys find it a Townsend this year?

For us it was an absolute disaster!!

We booked to arrive Thursday (Although we didn't get there until Friday morning) to depart on Monday and bailed out on Saturday afternoon because;

There was no water from Friday night until about 12.00 on Saturday lunch time and they obviously didn't fill the tank as seemingly it ran out again about 15.00
The toilets were overflowing and were absolutely disgusting by Friday night.
We had some very inconsiderate idiots pitch at the back of us with a load of kids who were shouting and playing music until about 1.30 early hours of Saturday morning.
There was no organsiation at all and people were literally pitching on top of each other, which suggests that there was no limits to the places sold.
The access points between fields were getting in a state before we left, I watched one guy rip part of his rear bumper off his car.
I spoke to a guy at the reception tent, who said "bare with me for a minute" and then vanished, never to be seen again.
I messaged them using the Facebook page and didn't get a reply as of yet.

The only people who seemed positive about the place were the people who were only there for 1 night.

I'm really annoyed that it cost £185 for 1 night and I'm going to see this Tom shortly. :grr:

Looking on the other forums about Rhymes in particular. I wouldn't be surprised if the owner has turned this into a free for all on purpose in the hope that he'll claim to have had 5000 campers and hope for some kind of massive pay out, in the event that he gets shut down by the nanny state jobsworth brigade.
Must just have been you then...

This was myself and my Dad's second year there and had hardly any issues at all. We again opted to stay in the quiet fields, and had plenty of space! No issues with the toilets whatsoever, and the showers were hit and miss, but our water tank was always full of water.

I did notice, however, the 'general camping fields' were quite noisy - but what do you expect with campers? A lot of people there were clearly not there for RIAT, but you get this everywhere you go. Did you chat to the people behind you and ask them to quieten down politely? It's probably the cheapest campsite around and I have done several years of camping before and is one of the best places I have camped.

I would recommend you try out the 'quiet fields' - these are much better!

You must have had a few people with you for it to cost £185?? Only cost us £80 for 3 nights. Will be using this again more than likely - you will find however, that this will be the same at each campsite.
This is the second year we've stayed here. Last year was quite different. In previous years I've stayed at several others, which were booked up and I missed those this year.
"What do you expect with campers?" Well, I don't expect to be told to F*ck off for asking to keep the noise down at 1.00 in the morning. There were lots of families with very young children who retired around 11.00 and most of the others were lights out at 12.00, lots of which were up early to go into the show.
Somebody described it like the Calais Jungle, I would say that's not a bad assessment.
That's fair enough, apologies.

However, as mentioned the quiet field was completely fine. Sorry you've had a bad time, but I have hardly heard any complaints
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

f1jetfan

Post by f1jetfan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:52 pm

Never had a problem at townsend Farm, flyby however can be a nightmare. Go to the quiet fields and you will have no problem.

tim_raper

Post by tim_raper » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:16 pm

James Cutting wrote:
benno wrote:So how did you guys find it a Townsend this year?

For us it was an absolute disaster!!

We booked to arrive Thursday (Although we didn't get there until Friday morning) to depart on Monday and bailed out on Saturday afternoon because;

There was no water from Friday night until about 12.00 on Saturday lunch time and they obviously didn't fill the tank as seemingly it ran out again about 15.00
The toilets were overflowing and were absolutely disgusting by Friday night.
We had some very inconsiderate idiots pitch at the back of us with a load of kids who were shouting and playing music until about 1.30 early hours of Saturday morning.
There was no organsiation at all and people were literally pitching on top of each other, which suggests that there was no limits to the places sold.
The access points between fields were getting in a state before we left, I watched one guy rip part of his rear bumper off his car.
I spoke to a guy at the reception tent, who said "bare with me for a minute" and then vanished, never to be seen again.
I messaged them using the Facebook page and didn't get a reply as of yet.

The only people who seemed positive about the place were the people who were only there for 1 night.

I'm really annoyed that it cost £185 for 1 night and I'm going to see this Tom shortly. :grr:

Looking on the other forums about Rhymes in particular. I wouldn't be surprised if the owner has turned this into a free for all on purpose in the hope that he'll claim to have had 5000 campers and hope for some kind of massive pay out, in the event that he gets shut down by the nanny state jobsworth brigade.
Must just have been you then...

This was myself and my Dad's second year there and had hardly any issues at all. We again opted to stay in the quiet fields, and had plenty of space! No issues with the toilets whatsoever, and the showers were hit and miss, but our water tank was always full of water.

I did notice, however, the 'general camping fields' were quite noisy - but what do you expect with campers? A lot of people there were clearly not there for RIAT, but you get this everywhere you go. Did you chat to the people behind you and ask them to quieten down politely? It's probably the cheapest campsite around and I have done several years of camping before and is one of the best places I have camped.

I would recommend you try out the 'quiet fields' - these are much better!

You must have had a few people with you for it to cost £185?? Only cost us £80 for 3 nights. Will be using this again more than likely - you will find however, that this will be the same at each campsite.
Just generally shows the level of abuse and bad quality service we have got used to.
For that sort of money you could get, and should expect, a nice comfy bed, ensuite and all the hot water you need plus a fully stocked bar and restaurant on site.

RJ79

Post by RJ79 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:30 pm

We stayed at Townsend this year (for the first time) and it was fine for us.

Grumbles
- Pitches weren't organised and ended up with people pitching wherever they could come Friday evening
- Mobile charging point was inactive until Saturday morning, my little phone drinks battery quite quickly (as does any iPhone).

Positives
- the IPA was good (felt a bit sorry for the lager drinkers and the dodgy pumps)
- Saturday evening entertainment was good (alrighter!)
- overall value for money was very good
- excellent location for approaches and walking to the show

The toilets were a bit 'festivally' come Sunday morning but that is only to be expected!

Overall, positives definitely outweighed the negatives!

Rob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Cheers,

Rob

Nikon D60
Nikon 18-55mm lens
Tamron 70-300mm lens
Uniden Bearcat 3500xlt Scanner

Steve 93

Post by Steve 93 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:54 pm

We were in the quiet field from Thursday till Sunday evening and to be honest I don't really have one single complaint

Yes the toilets could have been emptied a bit more regularly but that's just a given with a camp site.

Maybe I'm just a bit less bothered by things as I am used to camping at Santa pod raceway at Ford shows.

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:03 pm

Facilities there didn't bother me as I neither needed food(brought my own for the day) and didn't need the loos, we were in a car and set up a small awning near the car, and it was all completely fine - the flying was a bit good aswel as this was what I had come for ;) :thumbs:

C. :thumb:
Nikon D7100, Nikkor 300 f4 IF ED :-)

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:58 am

Cornish-guy wrote:Facilities there didn't bother me as I neither needed food(brought my own for the day) and didn't need the loos, we were in a car and set up a small awning near the car, and it was all completely fine - the flying was a bit good aswel as this was what I had come for ;) :thumbs:

So i take it from that that you can just turn up there for the day can you? They have space for a park and view-type situation?

Return to “RIAT”