Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Royal International Air Tattoo 2017 Discussion Thread

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
Freeman Lowell

Re: Royal International Air Tattoo 2017 Discussion Thread

Post by Freeman Lowell » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:59 pm

Park and view (east) on Monday was great. Well organised and managed. Food prices not too high, if you didn't want to bring your own. Special thanks to the ladies and gentlemen (inc AM in aircrew H5) for taking the grief when they asked the white van man to move his vehicle when he parked in front of the paying public to take his own photographs.
Freeman
It’s not what you look at that matters. It’s what you see.

turmo

Post by turmo » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:38 pm

The Skyvan took a lot of 'enthusiast' abuse but the type has trained more British airborne forces than any other in recent decades. It's a pity the staff on the Eureka Aviation stall had no interest in it and just wanted to sell Bronco patches!

Departures day was great and really emphasises the community amongst enthusiasts when they can chat and communicate without being drowned-out by inane commentary.

Len Dutton

Post by Len Dutton » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:41 pm

Richard E wrote:
Len Dutton wrote:
Firstly, two requests. The USAF C-17 parked at the 27 end of the runway on the northside and a USAF bizjet that landed approx 0900-0930, both Sunday?
The bizjet was a Gulfstream C-37A 01-0028/10028
MRTT wrote:07-7172 for the C-17.
Many thanks

Len

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:53 pm

turmo wrote:The Skyvan took a lot of 'enthusiast' abuse but the type has trained more British airborne forces than any other in recent decades.
Yes but if it had belonged to one of the more exotic military air arms that operate or have operated the type, everyone would have been drooling over it. Just because it carries a civilian registration it gets abuse. I never did get the extreme military only attitude but that's another issue!

Rotörhead

Post by Rotörhead » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:10 pm

darn good year this year! Did Sunday and Monday (at P&V West) loads of variety, not bad weather I came away with some good shots.

Highlight was the SU-27, sooo cool and pretty damn rare too! Loved all the US stuff although I've never been a fan of the Thunderbirds or the US's attitude towards commentating :lol:
Another moan would be the decision to move the Danish Challenger through an area of the crowd during the highlight of the show, the SU-27. Fair play it was an active taxiway but I felt it could have been done at another point, luckily it didn't disturb me as I was to the side, but I feel sorry for the people who were told with no warning to pack up there stuff and move somewhere more crowded from a front row seat. Nice to see the Midnight Hawks again, really liked their display actually in the smart new schemes for the Hawks!

P&V was excellent, I completed my quest to photograph a Phantom in the air before they go out of service completely! And also saw a few other rare types I'd never caught before in the air.

All in all though I had a great time, really good stuff this year!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/olicphoto/

Aviation Photography Instagram: @olicphoto

WZ744

Post by WZ744 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:54 pm

Well, as usual I attended from Wednesday to Monday staying at Kempsford. Great quiet spot on the campsite, plenty of space around us and a lot of the same lovely people we see every year.
Did p&v east on Thursday, in the show Friday, Saturday and Sunday then p&v west on Monday. Apart from the poor conditions on Saturday morning, everything was very enjoyable. Sat at 27 end on Friday, loads of room to move about and up at the far west 09 end on Saturday\Sunday where most of the crowd line was almost completely empty. Ok, we didn't get the shots you would get from the centre section of the crowdline but did very well otherwise. I thought the displays were very good and what a great variety of aircraft both on the ground and in the air. Well done everyone involved in organizing the whole event, Roll on Riat 2018. :thumbs:
Colin.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

peasus911

Post by peasus911 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:09 pm

Very good RIAT for me. Arrived at Totterdown on Friday lunchtime just able to take in the USAF flypasts. Saturday was spent at the campsite watching from my pitch. Sunday was inside the show taking in the very good static and a good position for the flying. Monday was at the park and view for the departures, which was non stop action including the T/Birds, F22's, U2's, kC-135's and a C-17. have seen a variety of opinions on the various forums but I feel I would have to dig deep to remember a better all round show. Can't wait for RIAT 2018 and the RAF's 100th celebrations. Well done RIAT. :thumbs:

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:41 am

Folks on the Saturday on the East End static by the RAF A400's and behind the climbing wall attraction, there was what looks like a Typhoon with its canopy open, can anyone put an identity to it please? its not either of the two RAF Typhoons as I saw both these tow parked further along - one close to Pinky and one near the mock up F35.

I wonder if it may have been the plastic replica? just need someone to confirm it please.

Thanks in advance.

C. :thumb:
Nikon D7100, Nikkor 300 f4 IF ED :-)

Voodoo1

Post by Voodoo1 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:31 am

You are correct in assuming it was a plastic replica along with a replica reds hawk next to it. These were in the RAF village section of the show by the respective display stalls. Hope this helps!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bluetail

Post by Bluetail » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:08 am

"Another moan would be the decision to move the Danish Challenger through an area of the crowd during the highlight of the show, the SU-27. Fair play it was an active taxiway but I felt it could have been done at another point, luckily it didn't disturb me as I was to the side, but I feel sorry for the people who were told with no warning to pack up there stuff and move somewhere more crowded from a front row seat".

The Challenger was positioned deliberately to allow it to leave RIAT on Sunday with a VIP on board. It was put into the static at a place where we could easily move it out, even so the method of moving it required some careful thought due to the public being in attendance. I assume if we hadn't put it into the static someone would have moaned about that as well. And to be honest it was only on the taxiway for about 10 mins before it taxied.
I do what the voices in my head tell me to do!!!!
WEBSITE... http://3adpictures.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:10 pm

Voodoo1 wrote:You are correct in assuming it was a plastic replica along with a replica reds hawk next to it. These were in the RAF village section of the show by the respective display stalls. Hope this helps!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Thank you :thumb:

C. :thumb:

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:37 am

nescafe37 wrote:
Cornish-guy wrote:
Blackcat1 wrote:Great help lol thanks. But great I got the times for the F4s, Tornado and Mirages! Yay :-)

Yep - there really helpful on here sometimes ;)
Guess some folk can afford to spend evey last moment here including paying to go into the shows.

Obviously some better off than us mate.

C.
Says the man who is writing posts at 4.40am lol.
I have to reply to this in more detail as the reply is just plain rude :grr:

I am a full time carer for my disabled wife, I am up till silly hours tending to her, that why I am on as now at gone past four in the morning.

Comments like you wrote are not just un welcome but pure wrong taking into account my situation looking after a disabled wife.

C. :grr:

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:09 pm

Was the Royal Navy Sea King there? I only recall seeing the German one on static. If so, where was it parked?
AirshowsNI

2022 Airshows
Queens Jubilee Flypast
Cosford
RIAT
Portrush

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:11 pm

Nope, cancelled on the Wednesday, I believe.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:43 pm

Ahhh thanks, was wondering where it got to.
AirshowsNI

2022 Airshows
Queens Jubilee Flypast
Cosford
RIAT
Portrush

Return to “RIAT”