Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Royal International Air Tattoo 2017 Discussion Thread

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
seven

Re: Royal International Air Tattoo 2017 Discussion Thread

Post by seven » Fri May 26, 2017 5:58 am

MC-130J for static actually, but we can't have it all!

#KeepFightingMichael #banthebulls

Seahornet1

Post by Seahornet1 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:29 am

...And if we don't get at least one example of every aircraft type that the USAF has ever operated, I'm never, ever going to RIAT again... :whistle:

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Fri May 26, 2017 10:34 am

:lol: :P
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

rh226

Post by rh226 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:35 am

Don't forget that there is nothing from AFMC or AETC, yet. Could we be seeing a KC-46A, something from Edwards,....., the list goes on.

I'm still waiting to see what they mean by the RAAF Wedgetail being "one of" the furthest travelled participants.......RNZAF (still amber light), or more USAF from PACAF, Alaska????
Cheers, Bob

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Fri May 26, 2017 2:01 pm

Japanese have confirmed today :thumbs:
Japan Added to Confirmed Nations!

As a special treat this sunny Friday we are pleased to announce that the Japanese will be returning to Fairford this summer to take part in the 2017 Air Tattoo!

The Japanese Air Self Defense Force (JASDF) will be bringing a KC-767J to form part of the static park. Japan was the second customer for the Boeing KC-767, a civilian airliner modified for use as an air-to-air refuelling tanker. The JASDF uses the KC-767J for passenger and cargo transport, as well as supporting the air force's frontline fighters with refuelling. See the update HERE.

Join us at the Air Tattoo this summer on 14-16 July at RAF Fairford - book your tickets HERE
I will finally get a squadron patch from them this year :lol:

A great update yesterday too, always great seeing USAFE F-16s, to infrequent in the UK
Posh BSM Trophy winners 2024

phantommadman

Post by phantommadman » Fri May 26, 2017 3:12 pm

Gary wrote:Japanese have confirmed today :thumbs:
Japan Added to Confirmed Nations!

As a special treat this sunny Friday we are pleased to announce that the Japanese will be returning to Fairford this summer to take part in the 2017 Air Tattoo!

The Japanese Air Self Defense Force (JASDF) will be bringing a KC-767J to form part of the static park. Japan was the second customer for the Boeing KC-767, a civilian airliner modified for use as an air-to-air refuelling tanker. The JASDF uses the KC-767J for passenger and cargo transport, as well as supporting the air force's frontline fighters with refuelling. See the update HERE.

Join us at the Air Tattoo this summer on 14-16 July at RAF Fairford - book your tickets HERE
I will finally get a squadron patch from them this year :lol:

A great update yesterday too, always great seeing USAFE F-16s, to infrequent in the UK
Not if I beat you to them first :lol:
Like you say though,great update :clap:
Pessimists are never disappointed

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Fri May 26, 2017 3:21 pm

The big question will be, will it be on its own or will it bring some chicks as a reciprocal visit to that made by our Typhoons last year!

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon » Fri May 26, 2017 10:43 pm

plmc135 wrote:The big question will be, will it be on its own or will it bring some chicks as a reciprocal visit to that made by our Typhoons last year!
I do hope the chicks can fly the distance! :)
If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all...

witje

Post by witje » Fri May 26, 2017 11:36 pm

Japan KC-767 static

Voodoo1

Post by Voodoo1 » Sat May 27, 2017 7:02 am

plmc135 wrote:The big question will be, will it be on its own or will it bring some chicks as a reciprocal visit to that made by our Typhoons last year!
It would be nice to see some fighters from JASDF but doubt we'll get them.

You'd think seeing as it's the US party they'd send a bit more than the usual tanker considering the Pacific ties the US has in the area. The​ same goes for South Korea who you would of thought would make a nice return.
Then again the tensions in that part of the world with Gangnam matey probably warrants keeping all assets local just in case.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Sun May 28, 2017 8:02 am

Solotürk has just been confirmed in a email from DBH :thumb:
Solotürk to Return to Air Tattoo!

Bank Holiday weekend update! Fast jet aficionados will be delighted by news that Solotürk, the Turkish Air Force's F-16C Fighting Falcon display, will return to the Air Tattoo this summer!

First seen at the Air Tattoo in 2011, Solotürk is one of the most colourful and spectacular demonstrations of the popular F-16 on the airshow circuit today. The aircraft puts on a highly dynamic routine of aerobatics and tactical manoeuvres, aided by smoke generators and a beautiful colour scheme of black, silver and gold. 

Turkey is one of the world's largest Fighting Falcon operators, with a fleet of around 240 single-seat F-16C and two-seat F-16D models. They were mostly built in-country by Turkish Aerospace Industries. 

The Solotürk display made its public debut in 2011 to help mark the centenary of military aviation in Turkey. It is now well established among Europe's top fast jet demonstrations. 

Two pilots will be flying at the Air Tattoo, namely Capt Erhan Günar and 1st Lt Serdar Doğan. Their mount is a Block 40 variant of the F-16C, pilots and aircraft now being drawn from 132 Filo (Squadron) stationed at the Turkish Air Force's 3rd Main Jet Base at Konya in the Central Anatolia region.
Catch the impressive Solotürk display at the 2017 Air Tattoo by booking your tickets HERE.

Have you got accommodation for the show yet? Why not book the Official Air Tattoo Campsite, just a short 5-minute walk from the showground and great flexibility with a no-minimum night stay. Find out more and book HERE.

Voodoo1

Post by Voodoo1 » Sun May 28, 2017 8:36 am

Soloturk confirmed! Woohoo! One of the best fast jet demos IMHO. Updates nice and early...will we get another?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Two66

Post by Two66 » Sun May 28, 2017 2:21 pm

Very happy to see an Osprey will be flying, missed most of that display last year, was still getting into the show

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Sun May 28, 2017 7:23 pm

Fantastic addition, was an excellent display last year. :thumb:

warthog56

Post by warthog56 » Mon May 29, 2017 3:33 pm

Hi all. Don't post on the forum very often but I feel the need to add my two penn'orth. Having been around a long time and attending airshows since the mid 60's I have seen a lot of types of aircraft from many nations. I well remember that air forces had multiple types of front line aircraft all with specific roles to fulfil. Great for enthusiasts attending airshows in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Sadly the variety of types has declined with many air forces now opting for a multi role combat aircraft. Even worse, these types become standard across many air forces. Thus the chances of the Air Tattoo attracting any of the more "exotic" aircraft (and armed forces) is very restricted unless the relevant Government's can justify a costly overseas deployment. The chances of "something different" attending the Air Tattoo are better when it coincides with Farnborough airshow year - the Pakistan JF17's and the Korean T50's deployed in Farnborough years. Next year might be a good year to hope for a more varied selection of "goodies" as not only is it a Farnborough year but it's also the 100th anniversary of the formation of the RAF and the 100th anniversary of the ending of WW1. I would hope that there will be a Royal review of the air force (but it won't be on the scale of the 1968 Abingdon show or even the Queen's silver jubilee review at Finningley in 1977. I would expect that the Queen will at least present a new "Standard" to the RAF next year. If IAT make the theme "100 years of the RAF" we may see a lot of airframes arrive by road from museums to show just how much aircraft technology has changed over the years - remember all the "museum pieces" that were brought in for the 100th anniversary of the first flight? As for my own wish list why can't the UK manufacturers (BAe and Leonardo) ask the Governments for whom they are currently producing aircraft if they would release airframes for static display. We have Saudi and Omani Typhoons and Hawks up at Warton and possibly (I'm not up to date on this) South Korean and Algerian helicopters at Yeovil. How much would it cost just to ferry them down for a few days especially as they seldom test fly at weekends? And what about the Singapore M346's based in France? Do they ever leave French airspace? Any or all of these airframes would make the Air Tattoo even better! I guess politics is the problem. The purchasing nations probably don't want the rest of the world to see what they've got! It's a bit like the US denying that area 51 exists but everyone knows that it does! I getting too o;d now to travel to far off places like Japan and Australia so I have to live in hope that IAT does prove to be a big attraction for foreign air forces to attend. Maybe the Chinese will send something over next year after the goodwill visit by the "Reds" last autumn? Time will tell. I'll still enjoy IAT this year whatever we finally see attending!

apex

Post by apex » Mon May 29, 2017 7:18 pm

I think you are correct with regard to the purchasing nations not being happy with their attendance from Warton and Yeovil, although it has happened in the past I think, Canadian, Indian Hawks?

Although they may be exotic to us, the aircraft types will be represented by RAF/RN examples which most of the show goers will be happy with, so I don't see a reason why RIAT would try too hard to get them there. Would like to be proved wrong though.

jem60

Post by jem60 » Wed May 31, 2017 7:59 am

And another two pennyworth from another Oldie. Always used to go to Fairford in it's heyday, Bears etc., but when things started to decline, for me and a lot of my older friends, it was becoming a shadow of it's former glorious self. No one's fault. Technology moved on, aircraft became hugely expensive, and I didn't enjoy watching things going downhill. Going to see a C.130 from Pakistan was simply another C.130. The different markings meant nothing to me. After 50 years of Airshows, I don't even do Duxford anymore [except the 3 days prior to the show.] However, we don't all enjoy the same subjects, so, whatever your fancy aircraft wise, you all have a good day, and fingers crossed for the weather.

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:59 am

Today's update 1st June 2017
A very welcome Royal Canadian Air Force contingent is set to attend RIAT 2017. A Boeing CC-177 Globemaster III airlifter from 429 Transport Squadron at Canadian Forces Base Trenton, Ontario will fly in for static display - bringing a Boeing CH-147F Chinook helicopter operated by 450 Tactical Helicopter Squadron at Petawawa, Ontario in its hold, also for the static park. This will be the first time either type has attended a British airshow in Canadian service.

A variety of civilian types have confirmed their attendance at RIAT 2017. Britten-Norman confirm a BN-2T Defender; Bulldog T.1; Extra E-400; Tony de Bruyn's OV-10B Bronco and Shorts Skyvan; and Jet Aerobatics' Jet Provost Mk.
http://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/aircra ... dates-2017

Royal Canadian Air Force
CC-177 Globemaster 429 Transport Sqn Transport
CH-147F Chinook 450 Tactical Helicopter Sqn Transport :Wow: :Wow: :Wow: :Wow:

Civilian
BN-2T Defender Britten-Norman Utility Static
Bulldog T.1 Pitbull Basic Trainer Static
EA400 Bruno Stocker Touring Static
Jet Provost Mk.5 Jet Aerobatics Trainer Static
V-10B Bronco Eureka Aviation Ground Attack Static
Skyvan Eureka Aviation Ground Attack Static

http://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/aircra ... craft-2017

Wow that's a stonking update from the Canadians :clap: Let's hope for the new special CC-117 too

Cancellations :(
KDC-10 334 Squadron Tanker

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:00 am

I'll take that, thank you Canada! :thumbs: :thumb:

Dutch KDC-10 CANX. :(

peasus911

Post by peasus911 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:00 pm

If the RAF commit one of their C-17's, wow that would be an awesome line-up of C-17's. :thumb:
Excellent update, maybe another sneaky one prior to next week as well if they keep the momentum going.
Think the static walk is going to take some time to complete now. :thumbs:
Thank you RIAT.

Return to “RIAT”