Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Some local knowledge/help regarding RIAT times....

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
fires999

Some local knowledge/help regarding RIAT times....

Post by fires999 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:58 pm

Hi Guys
Wonder if someone can help...possibly travelling from my Base at RAF Alconbury (Fire Service) to RIAT at Fairford either Saturday or Sunday and was wondering what sort of time in the morning the roads around the Base start getting busy ?
Obviously need to get into RAF Fairford before the masses start making their way to the gates for 0730am - whatever time is suggested is not an issue, just don't really want to get caught in long queues (unfortunately I'm unsure if there is a separate crew/staff only type entrance that I will be able to access at the moment)

Any hints or tips greatly appreciated, even if it means going there night before so I can get quick getaway to wards the Base.
Thanks in advance and to all those attending , hope you have a great show :thumbs: :thumbs:
Fires999
" Who is Skyking ?.....And will he ever answer ? "

stut4

Re: Some local knowledge/help regarding RIAT times....

Post by stut4 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:01 am

as no one else has replied...

all the main roads leading to fairford whether from Swindon/Cirencester/Lechlade will start getting clogged up from 6/7am, possibly earlier. you will be stuck in the same queues as everyone else if you're using the main roads until the last few hundred yards when you might have access to "staff" areas. there is a road I believe which leaves fairford via (Kempsford/Hannington Wick/Highworth) which I think is exit only. I am not sure if aircrews can use this route to travel to the site. I've travelled at 6am from Swindon a few years back and got within a couple of miles before I started queuing. Last year, I left at 8am ish and was stuck in traffic for 2+ hours barely moving.

I suppose - all people on this site would advise to leave and get there as early as you can. I think if you aimed to get there by 6am you'd avoid the worst of it. but as you'd be travelling c.3 hours from Alconbury if It was me i'd probably come down the night before and see if you can get a bed somewhere.

have a great show too. :thumb:

Return to “RIAT”