Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

whats equipment are you allowed to take on the airfield?

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
stut4

whats equipment are you allowed to take on the airfield?

Post by stut4 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:27 pm

Hi All,
I've tried finding this info out in other threads but cannot find anything.
For the past few years I've watched the show from a nearby field as I live close to Fairford.
This year I've treated myself and kids to some tickets along with a new Scanner :) (Mrs StuT4 doesn't know about that yet..... :Oops: )

Are we allowed to take a small camping stove like this into the event to cook my breakfast and regular coffee breaks? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Gas-S ... ping+stove

thanks in advance.

Bushpilot

Re: whats equipment are you allowed to take on the airfield?

Post by Bushpilot » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:02 pm

As BBQ's aren't allowed I'd assume gas stoves may come under the same restriction. I think this is to avoid a fire risk in an area full of fuelled aircraft. I'm not sure about the carparks that are outside the airfield boundary. If anyone knows better I'd be happy to be proved wrong.
I want 2% of GDP and I want it NOW!

quid21

Post by quid21 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:09 pm

I reckon the stove would confiscated at the gate.

There's plenty of places to get coffee on the base, why not carry less and still get your fix! :thumbs:

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:29 pm

Bet there will be a few ladders

romeo bravo

Post by romeo bravo » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:54 pm

We used to take a small stove and cooker breakfast in the car park before going in; smell of bacon cooking would turn heads :P

As for heating water for coffee, I'd take a flask.

quid21

Post by quid21 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:55 am

Given that the airfield has fuelled up planes on it, I would've thought using a stove in one of the car parks would not be a great idea when grass could be dry (if it stays sunny) and you have thousands of fuelled up cars.

Not sure what would happen in terms of who would pay out insurance if the whole field went up in smoke. It surely can't be a great idea!

stut4

Post by stut4 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:18 am

thanks all.

I thought that might be the case. I suppose for every 1000 people using one you'd get one who wouldn't use if safely and create carnage. i best take a flask of coffee with me then and cold bacon sandwiches it is then.

has anyone used the storage area for leaving coolboxes etc whilst on foot? any good, or best carry the gear around with you?
i'm bringing 3 kids which don't know the meaning of travelling "light". :D so conscious I want to keep my load lugging around the base down to a minimum especially if I have to carry the youngest around.

welshandy

Post by welshandy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:28 am

We have a suitcase trolley(small folding frame & a couple of bungee cords). Our Coolbox/camera case/tripod is strapped to that.

PW125

Post by PW125 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:37 pm

Last year we took a cool box and photo gear in on a lightweight 'sack truck' which we had bought for the occasion but the short distances of grass or non-paved areas of the airfield were so uneven it was practically useless. Either a heavy weight sack truck with 6 inch plus diameter wheels or the 'pull along' four wheel garden truck type with similarly large wheels would be better still and easier.

One remarkable contradiction is that last year some (but not all) of the metal cutlery and a can opener we had in the cool box was confiscated on the second day but had been allowed through without question the previous day. There seemed little logic in what was scanned or searched and allowed through the same entrance on consecutive days even when the queues were relatively short.

One point worth mentioning is that, for at least the last two years there was practically no food option inside the event for visitors with food allergies (such as gluten free).

Pune

Post by Pune » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:53 pm

My Father in law had his Swiss Army knife almost confiscated a couple of years ago so chose to walk back to the car and leave it there, oh the havoc he could have caused with that!!!! :'(
Excellent pointer about the food allergies...I would take a flask of hot drinks and plenty of water, especially if the weather warms up any, don't get ripped off by the food merchants, take your own, a good back pack should do the job and tell the kids to carry their own kit!!!
Have a great time whatever you choose to do and I hope the weather is kind to you all....
Cheers
Pune
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

Return to “RIAT”