Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

The whole chair, fence, chain issue

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
Timbo69

The whole chair, fence, chain issue

Post by Timbo69 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:12 am

I've been going to RIAT for a few years now and after a walk around the statics the trip to the flight line is met with a wall of unoccupied chairs chained to the fence. What is the official ruling on this...my thinking is if it's allowed then we will make a beeline for a spot and chain our chairs up.

Many thanks.

TIm

mark.alan.barnes

Re: The who;e chair, fence, chain issue

Post by mark.alan.barnes » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:59 am

I thought that the ruling was that people were not supposed to leave bags/chairs etc due to security concerns?

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:53 pm

This has been going on at airshows for years, I remember back in the Air Fete days at Mildenhall the crowdline was always littered with chairs, windbreaks & fishing umbrellas or parasols.

It was often done by groups of families who constructed their own little enclosures, usually to ensure that they could enjoy the day in comfort (my parents always used to do it when we were kids). As was often the case though, if you didn't put up a wind break you would often end up with people pushing through you to get to the fence!
I witnessed a good example of 'fence rage' at Duxford many years ago where a photographer barged in between two chairs with people sitting in them in order to push his way through to the fence. One of the chaps in the chairs absolutely flipped his lid and how the photographer never ended up with that lens up his @rse I'll never know :Wow: .

I personally don't think there's anything wrong with bagging a spot by the fence, after all its often why people leave home so early, just to increase their chances of getting a decent spot by the fence for the enjoyable day ahead.
However, in this day and age it probably isn't a good idea to leave anything unattended, we always used to make sure that someone stayed with our stuff & we often took it in turns to wander off for a look around the static displays.

TankBuster
And there's plenty more where that came from!

deerhunter

Post by deerhunter » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:28 pm

Depends whether it was a canon or nikon fitting on his @rse

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Canon 5D Mk4 plus long lenses, and lots of hope!

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:34 pm

Agree wrth Tankbuster, you shouldn't leave anything unattended. Normally I go to displays on my own, if I'm bothered about being at the front I make sure I have food and drink and get there early and stay there. You can't chain a chair to a fence, walk off and expect there to be a spot for you hours later when the flying starts. If I'm with someone then one of us stays at our space and keeps an eye on bags etc if anyone wants to have a wander, or go to the toilet.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Skoshi

Post by Skoshi » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:17 pm

i'll pack my cutters, tough luck if its your seat.... :lol: similar issues used to happen with our "continental" cousins who used to try and bully people to move while graphing at MLD shows.
Steve...

3 miles south of EGNT
UBC780XLT,UBC-800XLT,UBC-3500,MVT-7100,Aor8200Mk3
PP (BX), SBS-1
Pen and Paper

jem60

Post by jem60 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:24 pm

Sparts has got it. At Duxford, especially with Flying Legends, there are a number of foreign spectators who turn up on a Thursday, chain their chairs to the fence, and they are there all week-end. HOWEVER on Thursday and Friday, it is not crowded at all there, but if those chairs are still chained to the fence on Friday evening, then I can assure you that a friendly manager that I know at Duxford [no names!] will be along with his bolt cutters when the airfield locks up for the night!.
I remember at Fairford arrivals once, some bad mannered guy tried to push his way through those of us who arrived early, maintaining our positions. He really was obnoxious, but unfortunately he stood next to me. Just as he was about to press the button, I always seemed to bump into him, as did the guy on the other side. He didn't stay there long!!!.

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:38 pm

Nice1 Jem!! Yeah have come across many rude and obnoxious people at airshows , acting as if they own the airfield!!!
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

mark.alan.barnes

Post by mark.alan.barnes » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:55 pm

The only time I have suffered from 'encroachment' was at Yeovilton last year. I wouldn't mind but I was quite a distance from the fence.

We had deliberately set up quite a bit back to give us some room (we were also handily near the toilets, ice cream, etc.

Almost unbelievably I actually had someone elses chair overlapping my own. I put a can in the cup holder!!! :thumbs:

C24

Post by C24 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:35 am

deerhunter wrote:Depends whether it was a canon or nikon fitting on his @rse

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I really shouldn't encourage you but it would probably be...
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

andrew b

Re: The whole chair, fence, chain issue

Post by andrew b » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:27 am

I think that if it's a fold up chair I would collapse it and say the riat team deemed it inappropriate ,failing that I would mention it to a team member , I find it so annoying that these people think they can do what they like and ruin it for everyone else in fact I myself will contact riat today and see what they can do , if I come across anyone doing it I will put the chair where the sun don't shine , it's not on not fair and really really makes my blood boil wish I could swear on here , anyway rant over for now and if I here anything from riat I will post here for all to see .other than that please enjoy what's looking to be another awesome, year let's pray the weather plays ball.
Airplane mad Image

A good pilot is always compelled to evaluate what has happened, so he can apply what he has learnt
Viper TOP-GUN

andrew b

Post by andrew b » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:31 pm

reply from riat today hope it helps out
Thank you for your enquiry Andrew.

I have spoken to our operations director who has said that he has not yet come across this specific issue in the years that he has been at the show.

He explained that he would not recommend that anybody removes the chairs as this may cause direct confrontation with the owner. However, our visitor information guide states that: The erection of tents, gazebos, windbreaks and ladders on the showground can block the view of others. These are prohibited within 10 metres of the crowdline.

If you would like to bring it to the attention of the Sector Marshals (they wear hi-viz vests and ride around the showground on bicycles) then they will be equipped to deal with the issue, especially if anything contravenes the above rule.

I do hope that helps and we look forward to having you at the show.

Best regards
Air Tattoo Helpline

The Royal Air Force Charitable Trust Enterprises
Tel: 01285 713000
Fax: 01285 713268
www.airtattoo.com

The information contained in this e-mail may be confidential, and is for the intended recipient only. If an addressing or transmission error has occurred, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient, you are expressly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, printing or disseminating this communication in any way. Please also note that all messages sent and received by members of RAFCTE may be monitored centrally. This is done to ensure the integrity of the system.

RAFCTE Reg. in England No. 2190393 Reg. Office: Douglas Bader House, Horcott Hill, Fairford, Gloucestershire, GL7 4RB, UK
Airplane mad Image

A good pilot is always compelled to evaluate what has happened, so he can apply what he has learnt
Viper TOP-GUN

powerslave

Post by powerslave » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:29 pm

He explained that he would not recommend that anybody removes the chairs as this may cause direct confrontation with the owner. However, our visitor information guide states that: The erection of tents, gazebos, windbreaks and ladders on the showground can block the view of others. These are prohibited within 10 metres of the crowdline.

If you would like to bring it to the attention of the Sector Marshals (they wear hi-viz vests and ride around the showground on bicycles) then they will be equipped to deal with the issue, especially if anything contravenes the above rule.

The crowdline at RIAT is full of fold up chairs,a fair few windbreaks and stuff right upto the fenceline.
I have never ever seen anyone being asked to take them down by any so called sector marshall.
If i want to get to the crowd line to get a shot and anyone with a crappy fold up chair is gonna have a go at me because he thinks its his space,well he can go and do one.

Ian

mark.alan.barnes

Post by mark.alan.barnes » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:49 pm

I've seen several tents taken down on the Red Section. When you consider that the sign informing people to not erect structures is probably 5-6 metres away from the fence, I never witnessed a disagreement either!

Give an inch and take a mile.

Goosebumps

Post by Goosebumps » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:42 am

I accept that some families want to set up Home and make themselves as wide as possible. Especially when they have young children who want to be shielded by the sun. My only issue is that when I stand behind them with my droooopy lens they always insist on making themselves as tall as possible. After all if you are at the front do you really need to stand as well
Just a thought

Dan M

Post by Dan M » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:08 pm

If you want space on the crowd line, get up earlier. Simples.

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:15 pm

Well said Dan M.

Socially accepted at any public event that if you get to the front line first it is "your" spot. Why should someone expect to "barge through" to oust someone already there. Just like queue jumping really - if you don't like it done to you then why should you expect to do it yourself?

I haven't been to an airshow for years but it seems as if the same rudeness and lack of mutual respect still exists. I have great sympathy too for those trying too who are trying to "marshall". Did it for several years at Mildenhall and some people just did not respect the lines or the authority of us who were trying to keep order and fair for all.

It really gets me when parents shove their kids through telling them to push people out of the way. What sort of an example does that set.

Society soap box away...!

To those who force their way through to get "that" shot I hope you think it's worth it

grogresaurus77

Post by grogresaurus77 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:03 am

Like last year, I'll be going 5 days on the trot Wednesday to Sunday, whilst getting up at 4am each day in the process. We got a spot on the crowdline each day, 2+2=4. There were a few who thought they could turn up and push in to the front, but those Tha did soon realised this wasn't possible, some of the little silent tantrums they had as they walked away were quite funny bless 'em.

POL

Post by POL » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:08 pm

There's a ruddy big difference between being the first there so getting a spot at the front, which is perfectly acceptable, and getting there first, setting up a windbreak to cordon off 6ft of fence, and then sit there on your own all day!

romeo bravo

Post by romeo bravo » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:47 pm

EGVP wrote: and getting there first, setting up a windbreak to cordon off 6ft of fence, and then sit there on your own all day!
Or disappearing for hours to look around the static display, only coming back to eat/drink and take a few photos.......

Return to “RIAT”