Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Raptors and Lightnings

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
quid21

Raptors and Lightnings

Post by quid21 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:46 pm

This may have been answered somewhere else, but my main disappointment with RIAT is that the Raptor is never on the static, or even where the Reds, Gripens etc are, always on the far side of the airfield. Does anyone know if that would change for RIAT 2016 now the type has been in service for a fair few years? I understand there might be a static Lightning which would be nice, but you never know.

I'm just going to keep hoping that the Raptor can be close enough to see up close, rather than zoom lens through heat haze.

luke28

Re: Raptors and Lightnings

Post by luke28 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:50 pm

I liked were they put the display jets last year and hope they continue with it this year..... However I think the F-22/35's will probably be over the North side, they have already stated that an F-35 won't be on official static display but will be were the display tesms were last year, probably with fences, barbed wire, armed guards and a force field around it.

quid21

Post by quid21 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:36 am

Its a shame, I mean don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to seeing the displays, just hoped to see one up close, like we could with the B-2 all those years ago at Fairford, and the Blackbird of course at the Air Fetes.

Thor

Post by Thor » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:44 pm

2 x F-22s due, one for flying, the other for a spare. Both have to be kept hangared overnight (same as the F-35s). From a purely practical PoV it would be nigh impossible to extract an F-22 from the normal static area if it was needed to fly in the event of the prime going u/s on one of the display days thanks to the additional H&S requirements and ban on vehicles from the public areas during show times that have been imposed on the show in recent years. That's why the F-22s will be northside during the show.

It's bad enough the rigmarole that is needed before an aircraft can be moved on a show day after the show has ended. IIRC there's a delay of at least an hour after the gates have closed so that the organisers can confirm there are no members of the public left on the showground before a move can happen. Given that the F-35 that will be on static also has to be hangared alongside its brethren each night, the Purple apron (east end, where the display teams operated from last year) is a sensible option for location. It's not exactly a small jet, so is unlikely to be unphotographable in that location.

Thor

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:11 pm

There is no reason why they can't be statically displayed in the same manner as the B2s have in the past (apart from the USAF not allowing it),down at the far end of the line and fenced and guarded. Or, as the fast jets were parked last year down at the west end, all easily photographable and all easily extracted from the line should the need to swap airframes arise.
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

Thor

Post by Thor » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:11 pm

bizfreeq wrote:There is no reason why they can't be statically displayed in the same manner as the B2s have in the past (apart from the USAF not allowing it),down at the far end of the line and fenced and guarded. Or, as the fast jets were parked last year down at the west end, all easily photographable and all easily extracted from the line should the need to swap airframes arise.
I'll let you argue that one out with the grown-ups, fella, I only work there.

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:37 pm

I'm not arguing with anyone, merely pointing out that it could be feasible :thumb:
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

quid21

Post by quid21 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:54 pm

I guess it's up to the USAF, but it would certainly be nice to be able to see them without having to look upwards into the sun!

Just commenting as 'Joe Public' but it would be nice to see, closer up, where our taxes are going with the F-35.

Forestfan

Post by Forestfan » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:30 pm

bizfreeq wrote: (apart from the USAF not allowing it)
And when they decide that, there is no reasoning or negotiation as many people will be well aware!

I think that for this year we just need to appreciate an F-22 appearance. The F-35 situation is a little different.

quid21

Post by quid21 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:57 pm

Agreed :thumbs:

andrew b

Post by andrew b » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:43 pm

I guesse we will just see what we will see won't we when we get there .
Airplane mad Image

A good pilot is always compelled to evaluate what has happened, so he can apply what he has learnt
Viper TOP-GUN

Return to “RIAT”