Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Totterdown Farm

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
roughcutter

Totterdown Farm

Post by roughcutter » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:02 pm

Hope I'm mistaken here, but it look's as if Totterdown Farm is already fully booked up, although it's still possible to visit the P&V there on the show days. :(
http://www.totterdowncamping.co.uk/

Mike

Re: Totterdown Farm

Post by Mike » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:27 pm

What a surprise ! I wonder what percentage of people that stay at the camp-site actually pay to attend the air show, under the new(ish) display rules the flying display has to be further away from the crowd line, which puts it directly over the top of Totterdown.

Basically, there's an awful lot of the people that camp at Totterdown that input nothing to RIAT coffers yet moan year upon year about the diminishing amount of exhibits at RIAT.

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:03 pm

Well judging by the amazing pix that have been taken from there, Totterdown is the place to be at. If I've missed out booking a pitch then I'm at least certainly planning to have a day there myself next year. :thumb:

morticiaskeeper

Post by morticiaskeeper » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:50 pm

And some of us stay at Totterdown and go into the show.

I've used the end of the runway, P & V, RIAT, Totterdown & Furze Hill for photos, different places give different perspectives.

As well as spending money at the show, I also spend a fair bit in the area during the week.

Rainbow 6

Post by Rainbow 6 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:41 pm

Like lot of people I go down to RIAT from Wednesday to Monday, I do the PV and Wednesday Thursday Monday, and used to do Friday as well but since it has changed I do go into the show on Friday. I used to do the Farms on the outside Saturday and Sunday, but since the Mrs now comes down, and can only come Saturday Sunday Monday, we have started to do one day in the show because she likes it.

The main reason I started going on the outside for the show days was down to money, I found I could pretty much have the entire time down for the same money as going in, for one day of the show. I disagree with the remark that the people like me dont contribute to the show, we just do it in a different way, and I am a photographer and to be honest the best shots are to be had from out side not inside so I do what is best for me, I to spend a lot of money in the local area with hotels and food etc

At at the end of the day isnt up to us how we spend out time and money?

andrew b

Post by andrew b » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:49 pm

Guys totterdown open in november for people who want the same pitch every year but it aint full yet it will re open for bookings in january.
Airplane mad Image

A good pilot is always compelled to evaluate what has happened, so he can apply what he has learnt
Viper TOP-GUN

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:43 pm

Cheers Andy, duly noted! :thumb:

beefsteak

Post by beefsteak » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:52 pm

Mike that's the same at any big airshow...... remember Chef and his thoughts re Waddington? As for Totterdown, great views, and an awful lot of people do go into the show from there. I know I'm one who has stayed behind and watched the place empty on show days, then fill back up with park and viewers.
Jim Bowen, on "Bullseye" :- In which state of the U.S.A. is Dallas, Texas ??

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:17 pm

I said "Basically, there's an awful lot of the people that camp at Totterdown that input nothing to RIAT coffers yet moan year upon year about the diminishing amount of exhibits at RIAT."

I didn't say that everyone did, Totterdown is in an excellent place to see the flying display and North-side arrivals - I'd love to know what percentage of customers actually manage to pay their money to enter the show, I suspect that figure is very, very low.

beefsteak

Post by beefsteak » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:31 pm

I was actually surprised by the amount of people who do go to the show. Most go for one day and stay on site for the others, although there are some who go in for the lot (FRIAT etc)
Jim Bowen, on "Bullseye" :- In which state of the U.S.A. is Dallas, Texas ??

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:33 pm

Most of the people that I know, myself included, go into the show at least one day.You do see quite a few cars disappear off site early doors Friday,Saturday and Sunday.Some people probably can't afford Mach 3 passes,others view the show from Totterdown for photography reasons.

TubOLard

Post by TubOLard » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:44 pm

Bookings are open for Totterdown now.

peasus911

Post by peasus911 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:07 pm

Just booked my pitch. any good pubs or chippy's locally please.... :thumbs:

andrew b

Post by andrew b » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:00 pm

peasus911 wrote:Just booked my pitch. any good pubs or chippy's locally please.... :thumbs:
Yeah a few pubs in Fairford village and a good chippy next to the coop in Fairford village which do a lush kebab and cheesy chips just wat you need after a days walking on Base and cheaper than the astronomical prices on base £7.00 for a sausage and small tray of chips if i remember I went hungry for the day and went to that chippy next to the coop. Worth every penny.
Airplane mad Image

A good pilot is always compelled to evaluate what has happened, so he can apply what he has learnt
Viper TOP-GUN

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:46 pm

peasus911 wrote:Just booked my pitch. any good pubs or chippy's locally please.... :thumbs:
Fairford Kebab house do better kebabs just around the corner.Maybe more expensive but more choice of kebab.Simon at Totterdown usually has menus from most of the local takeaways pinned to his hut at the entrance.some of them deliver to Totterdown.

andrew b

Post by andrew b » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:36 pm

TYPHOON3 wrote:
Fairford Kebab house do better kebabs just around the corner.Maybe more expensive but more choice of kebab.Simon at Totterdown usually has menus from most of the local takeaways pinned to his hut at the entrance.some of them deliver to Totterdown.
Very true there is actually a good choice for food on such a small village.Simon also does burgers and hot dogs on the campsite too very well priced and he is such a nice bloke who goes out of his way to help you if he can.
Airplane mad Image

Viper TOP-GUN

TubOLard

Post by TubOLard » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:44 pm

He needs to pull his finger out though and start taking electronic payments! I don't do any of this cheque malarky any more :lol:

andrew b

Post by andrew b » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:38 pm

TubOLard wrote:He needs to pull his finger out though and start taking electronic payments! I don't do any of this cheque malarky any more :lol:
There is always postal orders.I think Simon is doing just fine the way it is.
Airplane mad Image

Viper TOP-GUN

peasus911

Post by peasus911 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:46 pm

Wow, Get a curry delivered to my tent.... Awesome.
Thanks for the info guys

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:54 pm

I'm in, :clap: thanks for the heads up TubO :thumb:

Return to “RIAT”