Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RIAT 2015 Discussion Thread

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
starfighter

Re: RIAT 2015 Discussion Thread

Post by starfighter » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:31 pm

Looks like Sunday looks a bit of a wash/out,shame for all those
Who are going. This is why I don't do air shows from the inside',
It's bad enough putting up with people ,blue cones,bouncy castles,
And portaloos in your shots but dull gray rain ,good luck to you all,
I hope the forecast is better for you all.

Steve

TS010

Post by TS010 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:58 pm

Red route was a bit slow this morning due to two lanes of traffic having to merge into one lane just before the airfield boundary, daft idea! Once we turned for Whelford it took 30 mins to go 1.5 miles, still parked up by 8.00am though. Red route delays got worse later I believe.
Getting out was simple, car park to Witney in 20 mins.
Last edited by TS010 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

grogresaurus77

Post by grogresaurus77 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:34 pm

Forecast for tomorrow looking a bit wet with low cloud in the morning but it should brighten up nicely late morning/midday for a nice afternoon. 5th and last day on the trot for me, hoping for another good one. :thumbs:

robin

Post by robin » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:39 pm

TS010 wrote:Red route was a bit slow this morning due to two lanes of traffic having to merge into one lane just before the airfield boundary, daft idea! Once we turned for Whelford it took 30 mins to go 1.5 miles, still parked up by 8.00am though. Red route delays got worse later I believe.
Getting out was simple, car park to Witney in 20 mins.
Also got caught in the RED ROUTE on entry.....

Put it down too two issues.....
1. Merging two lanes into one, then splitting into two lanes further down the road. Therefore by design, this would and did slow the traffic down (totally unnecessary)
2. One traffic control person controlling the "T" Junction to RAF Fairford Main Gate, and Fairford Village, and NOT understand and failing to deal with the back-log of traffic from Lechlade. Disappointed that the police did not pick the issue up early, and seem to not take any action to improve the situation, well not until I had passed through.

TS010

Post by TS010 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:28 pm

Totally agree robin. Although it didn't spoil our day, a constructive email to RIAT may be worth sending.

mark.alan.barnes

Post by mark.alan.barnes » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:39 am

I went on the Saturday. My only minor grumble would be that from my 'base' on the Red/Blue border, if going for a wander, you had to go back around the service station rather than cutting a corner on the crowd line. I need the exercise I suppose!

The drive in was uneventful but parking up nearly problematic as I tend to adhere to what the Marshall wants me to do and drive forward until told to stop...... The Marshall didn't tell anyone to stop!

All displays were fantastic and I missed out a lot of things that I would have liked to have seen on the statics such as the voyager. I might go on the Friday next year swell as the Saturday to fit it all in.

I packed up to watch the P de F on the walk back to the car and was just thinking that I would be home PDQ.

For anyone who was listening into Security, the vehicle fire in the Red Car Park was me. As I set off smoke appeared out of my centre console. I thought that there was little point phoning 999 but dispatched my lads to Security. Within 2 minutes Event Security were there and they had Event Fire there 3 minutes later.

Obviously 'recovery' turned out to be a nightmare and I didn't get home until 0130hrs Sunday but thanks go out to Security and Fire, especially the Warwickshire and Oxfordshire Firefighters manning the 4x4. The fire team in the unmarked Volvo who came from another zone to isolate the electrics. RAF Police and RIAT staff who checked several times that we were well and that we had clothing, food etc. RAF Regiment for directing Recovery and the Green Flag Roadside Assistance and Recovery teams.

Thanks guys and girl!

Mark with the smouldering PT cruiser near Red 1 flag on the Saturday :Wow:

welshandy

Post by welshandy » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:03 pm

My Son & I went on Sunday, using the "green" route. Straight onto Base & parked 3rd row in no queuing. Great Show. Thanks to the volunteers,RIAT staff, The AA, Pilots & crews. Several highlights - B of B flypast, Vulcan & to get to look inside the Osprey :Wow: Did think we were going to miss out on the French Air Force 2000N's after one suffered a bird strike after take off, the remaining one put on a great solo display :clap:
My Son even managed to speak to a RAF IT technician(the job he would like to do). This has convinced him to apply.
We decided to leave before the end as we had been up since 2am. Leaving was just as easy, traffic was nose to tail but kept moving & were back on the M5 by 5.30pm.

Return to “RIAT”