Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Royal International Air Tattoo 2018 Discussion Thread

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
stevep22

Re: Royal International Air Tattoo 2018 Discussion Thread

Post by stevep22 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:47 pm

I know its a long way to come but I did expect the RNZAF to appear for the RAF's 100th anniversary considering the history of Kiwi's serving over the years.

Steve

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:37 pm

stevep22 wrote:I know its a long way to come but I did expect the RNZAF to appear for the RAF's 100th anniversary considering the history of Kiwi's serving over the years.

Steve
It was only a few weeks back that the CAS of the RNZAF "I look forward to seeing you all at RIAT" on Twitter. So it looks like he's visiting via Air New Zealand B777?!
If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all...

Voodoo1

Post by Voodoo1 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:25 am

Afternoon folks! It's great to be back...it's been a busy winter for me :thumbs:
Looks like I've missed quite a bit with the RIAT confirmations over the last few months, trusty email and Twitter keeps me sane and looking forward to July!

All I can say so far is well done DBH :thumb: , there is some cracking items added especially the French Navy Rafale M pair. They looked tasty at Yeovilton last year(which I couldn't attend!) so looking forward to seeing them this year, actually bit bored of Couteau Delta as we have had them 3 years on the bounce now and the novelty wears off. Does anyone know if one or both are marked up in special liveries this year? Loved that Arctic Tiger look last year.

The BBMF formation flight is also looking good and it's also been a while since the Dak has been at Fairford.

Think we're on for some cracking additions in the next few months. As always I'm hoping Japan haul over something smaller than a tanker and maybe this is the year Pakistan bring us the JF-17 and the Chinese become the next nation to attend.
In a nutshell I'm completely stoked for this year and fingers crossed she lives up to the hype.

stevep22

Post by stevep22 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:44 am

Red Dragon wrote:
stevep22 wrote:I know its a long way to come but I did expect the RNZAF to appear for the RAF's 100th anniversary considering the history of Kiwi's serving over the years.

Steve
It was only a few weeks back that the CAS of the RNZAF "I look forward to seeing you all at RIAT" on Twitter. So it looks like he's visiting via Air New Zealand B777?!
Unless he's bumming a lift with the 'noisy neighbours... :whistle:

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:53 pm

stevep22 wrote:
Red Dragon wrote:

Steve
Unless he's bumming a lift with the 'noisy neighbours... :whistle:
:lol:

Well I hope the RAAF follow the RCAF example and fit a rotary example (picking up the MH-60R's or bringing a NH-90/ Tiger/ Blackhawk) in its hold and just about leave enough room for the RNZAF CAS to fit in!
If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all...

stevep22

Post by stevep22 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:41 pm

The Aussies are sending a Wedgetail so maybe he could find a spare seat.....

Steve

Rory76

Post by Rory76 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:09 pm

Voodoo1 wrote:Afternoon folks! It's great to be back...it's been a busy winter for me :thumbs:
Looks like I've missed quite a bit with the RIAT confirmations over the last few months, trusty email and Twitter keeps me sane and looking forward to July!

All I can say so far is well done DBH :thumb: , there is some cracking items added especially the French Navy Rafale M pair. They looked tasty at Yeovilton last year(which I couldn't attend!) so looking forward to seeing them this year, actually bit bored of Couteau Delta as we have had them 3 years on the bounce now and the novelty wears off. Does anyone know if one or both are marked up in special liveries this year? Loved that Arctic Tiger look last year.

The BBMF formation flight is also looking good and it's also been a while since the Dak has been at Fairford.

Think we're on for some cracking additions in the next few months. As always I'm hoping Japan haul over something smaller than a tanker and maybe this is the year Pakistan bring us the JF-17 and the Chinese become the next nation to attend.
In a nutshell I'm completely stoked for this year and fingers crossed she lives up to the hype.
RE the Rafales- saw them at Yeovilton and they were probably the best act I saw all season, and I’m a massive fan of Ramex/Couteau Delta!

peasus911

Post by peasus911 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:46 pm

Rory76 wrote:
Voodoo1 wrote:Afternoon folks! It's great to be back...it's been a busy winter for me :thumbs:

RE the Rafales- saw them at Yeovilton and they were probably the best act I saw all season, and I’m a massive fan of Ramex/Couteau Delta!
I agree, the pair at Yeovilton last year were excellent. :thumb:

turmo

Post by turmo » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:07 am

Seahornet1 wrote:
Does that help...?
I think he was asking whether the Whirlwind can fly or will be trucked-in. I believe it will fly in and out.

Rory76

Post by Rory76 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:14 am

turmo wrote:
Seahornet1 wrote:
Does that help...?
I think he was asking whether the Whirlwind can fly or will be trucked-in. I believe it will fly in and out.
There is an airworthy one- was at Cosford and Yeovilton last year, flying at both

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:23 am

The same aircraft will be on static at RIAT..

the concerned

Post by the concerned » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:25 am

I have just been reading that trump is on a state visit mid July what are the chances air force one suddenly being a new participant

GVLCN

Post by GVLCN » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:45 am

Absolute zero due to many security risks, would be great if it did happen though!

the concerned

Post by the concerned » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:12 am

Not if the aircraft went to the live side where the u-2's and stealth usually sit

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:22 am

It’d be next to pointless having it there then...

warthog56

Post by warthog56 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 am

Would prefer some of his support aircraft - C17, Marine V22's or VH60's. Ideally, though, given that I have been spotting for 53 years an have yet to see one, how about an E4B? :)

EF-111

Post by EF-111 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:59 am

I would prefer to see something from HMX-1 in attendance rather than AF-1

Steve

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:03 am

Today's update 26/04
France confirms its Couteau Delta tactical display (2x Mirage 2000D) plus the Rafale Solo Display! Not only that but two Alpha Jets and the French Army returns with two Pumas on static. 

The RAF will also be sending a Puma helicopter and a C-17A Globemaster, with the Army Air Corps providing a Wildcat.

Civilian statics include a rare appearance of the Red Bull Flying Bulls; with a Bo105 and the Bristol Sycamore! RAF Halton Aeroplane Club also sends a Cessna 152 and Tecnam Sierra.
Very good update, although I will be in the minority of not rating the Couteau Delta or Ramex for that matter
Posh BSM Trophy winners 2024

seven

Post by seven » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:08 am

Could have sworn CD had already self unconfirmed!? Oh well, I'm not complaining :thumb: Top support from the French.

#KeepFightingMichael #banthebulls

Tjm99

Post by Tjm99 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:11 am

Four C17's already. Brilliant update all round.

Return to “RIAT”