Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

First time RIAT group thread?

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
tayloss

First time RIAT group thread?

Post by tayloss » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:19 am

Hi All,

After many years of working in aviation, I am finally going to RIAT next year for the first time. We have tickets in the viewing grandstand, and camping at one of the sites locally, so wondered if anyone else is also attending for the first time next year?

I'm not sure what to expect after going to many of the smaller shows, but though it was about time to go large!

Any hits/tips/ideas/do's & Don't would be greatly received to ensure my son and wife also have a great time... Knowing the field is slightly bigger that I'm used to, I've decided to upgrade to a bigger lens in the canon 100-400mm as well as keeping my 70-200mm.. although, I don't want to spend all the weekend looking through a camera of course!

Thanks for now..

Chris

jasonT1981

Re: First time RIAT group thread?

Post by jasonT1981 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:20 pm

Not my first time, this will be my second time. However, get in as early as you can and be there before gates open. I got there at around 7:20am in 2017 (my first show) on the Saturday and was on site and through security by 7:40am. (Though this was on the shuttle bus queue area)

Grandstand is a good view. I've gotten top row seats there this year. Just be careful not to stand in-front of anyone, so if you are getting up for a toilet break, best to do so when the display has finished or before one starts.

Best advice, sit back, relax and enjoy.
AirshowsNI

2019 Airshows
RIAT
Newcastle (Northern Ireland)
Portrush (Northern Ireland)

Redflag17

Post by Redflag17 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:52 am

expect all types of weather - except snow. take small denomination notes if you buy stuff from the flight line stalls as the often say they donot have change. expect to walk miles.plan your day when you get the flying programme, if you are there for 1 days accept that you will miss something. Visit the STEM enclosure for manufactures giving things away and games for teens.take a spare battery and memory card. expect expensive food and drink and lots of people. enjoy, it wont be there for many more years! :clap:

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:02 am

Redflag17 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:52 am
enjoy, it wont be there for many more years! :clap:
What? Do you know something the rest of us don't?? :'( :'(
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark_holt_photography/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Redflag17

Post by Redflag17 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:48 am

current contract covers up to and including 2022. not clear if the US will allow it in 2023 onwards. the base might be more active and it will go the same way as the Air Fete. hope I am wrong.

PeteHemsley

Post by PeteHemsley » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:18 am

Redflag17 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:48 am
current contract covers up to and including 2022. not clear if the US will allow it in 2023 onwards. the base might be more active and it will go the same way as the Air Fete. hope I am wrong.
Give over
Ultionis est dulcis - Revenge Is Sweet

Former Canon freak now Nikon nutter

http://www.flickr.com/photos/petehemsley

Return to “RIAT”