Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Farewell tour routing

For announcements, photographs and video's and general '558 related chat.
page_verify

Farewell tour routing

Post by page_verify » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:12 pm

I maybe asking the wrong audience, but does anyone know the logic behind the routing of the farewell tour this weekend? I can understand a small handful of the sites had a relationship with the Vulcan's past, but the vast majority of waypoints were airports un-related to the Vulcan's history. At the same time, I can't see that flypasts at airports helped meet the Lottery funding's desire to share the aircraft with the general public. Generally speaking, only spotters, tourists and business people go to airports. I suspect there might've been some post-Shoreham fear of flying the aircraft over built up areas, perhaps that was a big influence. Who knows?

tim_raper

Re: Farewell tour routing

Post by tim_raper » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:15 pm

probably lots of factors, including airspace/ease of navigation, requests(from airfield authorities). Should it only have gone to airfields pivotal in it's history then? that wouldn't have been many would it?
I for one, was one of hundreds of people at Middle Wallop 'taken by surprise' as she appeared much lower I think than anyone had expected, performed an orbit, and powered off to Old Sarum.
"You can't please everyone all of the time", but I think everyone who really wanted to see it would have been 'in the know' and should be prepared, like I was to travel for 2.5 hours to do so.

Return to “The Vulcan XH558 Forum”