Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Final flights XH558

For announcements, photographs and video's and general '558 related chat.
Minigill

Re: Final flights XH558

Post by Minigill » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:20 pm

Final flight time..... Tries to view Planes tv on phone at work !

tornado17

Post by tornado17 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:57 pm

ITV News at 1830 this evening stated that the Vulcan had done its last flight today yet a news letter from VTTS states the last flight is Saturday!! :S

quid21

Post by quid21 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:26 pm

Sylar

Post by Sylar » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:30 pm

Re-read the newsletter. Saturday is the deadline for some merchandising stuff.

Cheers

Shane
Still searching for the master shot.

opsjockey

Post by opsjockey » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:30 pm

VTTS states last flight today. Good job too. 'bout time that bottomless money pit hung its wings up. Get a Victor flying, after all, without the Victor, the Vulcan would have had a helluva job getting to the FI. In the last few years, the Vulcan displays hvae been so uninspiring.... slow and gradual.... just one mans opinion but it's been about as boring as the Red Arrows.

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:10 pm

I managed to catch the live feed just as I got home today, luckily my mobile started pinging up the twitter notifications as I walked through the door.

The live feed must have been thrown up at short notice as the footage wasn't all that great really, and then it started buffering just as 558 made her final approach... Missing the final landing :grr: . Over the last eight years 558 has flown safe & delighted thousands of people, but her last flight today didn't celebrate that at all, sadly it seemed like she was just fading away :( .

TankBuster
And there's plenty more where that came from!

PR9

Post by PR9 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:13 pm

I hope all the bs spouted about crowds etc doesn't rear its ugly head when/if they do fast taxi runs.
MISSING - x1 Air Force.
If found please return to the UK.

tornado17

Post by tornado17 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:39 pm

I've just watched the last flight video and the question that has come to mind is why do it when the people who contributed that have kept it in the air, all the fans, the aviation enthusiasts and the general public who took an interest in it were not able to witness this historic event? They should have kept the tour weekend as the last flights but unfortunately, in my eyes anyway, it was all a bit of an anti-climax witnessed mainly by the VTTS staff, media and any locals that lived close enough to get to the perimeter in time.

That said, I am a fan and will go to Donny at some point to see it on a fast taxi run. Seeing it fly again over the last 8 years or so has brought back lots of happy memories of my younger days travelling to Waddo and also seeing them do over shoots at Binbrook.

Finally a big thank you to Robert and his team for achieving what many said couldn't be done. :clap:

Nikon

Post by Nikon » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:53 am

PR9 wrote:I hope all the bs spouted about crowds etc doesn't rear its ugly head when/if they do fast taxi runs.
Why is it BS? Don't you believe that hundreds and possibly thousands would have turned-up if it had been widely advertised as the last flight. While it is disappointing not to witness the event live, I don't think it was an overly cautious strategy either and it would appear perfectly logical. What would be the logical motive to make it all up?

Agreed about the PlanesTV broadcast. I must assume that there were more cameras and improved footage that will be available on DVD at a later date. f not then that is a real inexplicable disappointment.

PR9

Post by PR9 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:59 am

The whole stay away, hush hush nature of the last few flights was a kick in the teeth to all who have supported her and using excuses such as danger to service disruption at a very quiet airport is poor.

They know the "Vulcan effect", know the crowds etc and could have planned to do something, while raising some cash for charity to boot and giving her a proper send off. Instead "The spirit of Great Britain" ended as a little hop for the privileged few.
MISSING - x1 Air Force.
If found please return to the UK.

C24

Post by C24 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:48 am

Can we be certain that it is all over?

So very British.
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

Nikon

Post by Nikon » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:01 am

PR9 wrote:The whole stay away, hush hush nature of the last few flights was a kick in the teeth to all who have supported her and using excuses such as danger to service disruption at a very quiet airport is poor.

They know the "Vulcan effect", know the crowds etc and could have planned to do something, while raising some cash for charity to boot and giving her a proper send off. Instead "The spirit of Great Britain" ended as a little hop for the privileged few.
1) What would be the motive for VTTS to intentionally annoy its supporters? While those who have supported the VTTS (as I'm sure we all have) can appreciate its significance, the majority of wider general public certainly don't, and it certainly should not affect the daily routines of others. While Robin Hood airport is relatively quiet I agree, this has no relevance as it still has to operate in a safe and effective manner. It could also at anytime be used as diversionary strip in emergencies, and access then could be even more critical clearly.

2) Yes, the "Vulcan effect" is known as is illustrated by the secrecy, but while its final resting place is an active airport there will always be, (by definition) a final flight to this location. If the date of this transit is known, (irrespective if superseded by a display 20 miles down the road), there will be some, probably many, that will still want to witness the "money-shot" of the final landing. It has been known for many, many months that this year was the last, and plenty of opportunities far and wide to see the aircraft. It is the desire to see its "last flight" that fuels the problem...
Last edited by Nikon on Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:14 pm

I would not normally post a riposte to a possible troll, but, on this occasion, I will :@

'Oppsjockey' you are well out of order, IMHO :Wow:

That Lady has given pleasure to an infinitesimal number of people of all ages, over the years, both in her military guise and her civvy guise ;)

She is a unique Vulcan airframe, as she is THE only one of her kind who has performed 5 roles for the RAF: vis-à-vis:

Nuclear bomber
Conventional bomber
MRR aircraft
Tanker
Display 'craft

Whatever she has cost (I have spent far too much to admit) she has been worth EVERY penny :D

God bless, old girl, and enjoy your retirement ;)

I hope to get up to DRH at some stage, to hear that famous Olympus 200 series howl sometime soon ;)

Very best regards

Paddyboy :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

deerhunter

Post by deerhunter » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:49 pm

Here, here Paddy, to see her coming down the Ribble valley, brilliant, to see her low over Winter hill a few weeks ago even better.

Boring ? :grr: :grr: :grr:
Canon 5D Mk4 plus long lenses, and lots of hope!

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Ferrari

Post by Ferrari » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:36 am

Been away this week and just seen the footage of the last flight.

I think I will not be the only one who is deeply disappointed if future access to the Vulcan is restricted due to fears of overcrowding around Finningly.

Elvington would have been a more fitting final resting place - she would be seen and admired by many many more people and still have the chance to roar...

For now I'll have to make do with building my Airfix kit of '558!

Regards
Ferrari

tim_raper

Post by tim_raper » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:55 am

moan moan moan
Keeping the Vulcan airworthy for 8 years was a fantastic achievement, let alone all the displays that were performed.
Credit to everyone involved.

tm74sqn

Post by tm74sqn » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:42 pm

[quote="paddyboy"]I would not normally post a riposte to a possible troll, but, on this occasion, I will :@

'That Lady has given pleasure to an infinitesimal number of people of all ages, over the years, both in her military guise and her civvy guise ;)

She is a unique Vulcan airframe, as she is THE only one of her kind who has performed 5 roles for the RAF: vis-à-vis:

I'm not sure whether Paddyboy really means "infinitesimal" as

Definition of infinitesimal in English:
Extremely small

whereas I would have thought "quite large" would be more appropriate (or maybe "large", or "very large", depending on your definition of large).
Just a thought!
TM74

sploosher

Post by sploosher » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:55 pm

opsjockey wrote:VTTS states last flight today. Good job too. 'bout time that bottomless money pit hung its wings up. Get a Victor flying, after all, without the Victor, the Vulcan would have had a helluva job getting to the FI. In the last few years, the Vulcan displays hvae been so uninspiring.... slow and gradual.... just one mans opinion but it's been about as boring as the Red Arrows.
at least the Vulcan was capable of carrying conventional bombs with the minimum amount of work needed, the Victor on the other hand would have needed a hell of a lot more and it would have far too long to do to get the job done.

may I suggest that if you want more interesting airshows, then go to the other side of the pond and see if they can satisfy your needs, if not, then please let people post what they want and don't give them grief for their beliefs................. :whistle:
Please feel free to visit my flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/35699306@N04/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sony A700, A550, Minolta135,500 a/f mirror, Sigma 10-20,400, Sony 18-70,50, Tamron 17-50,28-300,70-300,90

Return to “The Vulcan XH558 Forum”