Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Farewell flt

For announcements, photographs and video's and general '558 related chat.
NAM Updater

Re: Farewell flt

Post by NAM Updater » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:10 am

GVLCN wrote:... I remember when Filton had big plans to open a museum for the final Concorde but 12 years later it sits at the end of our site rotting away with out anyone really giving a monkeys about it!
With all due respect the Filton situation is starting to change http://www.bristolaero.org/
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

GVLCN

Post by GVLCN » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:21 am

I've worked there 10 years & I would just say it's disgusting how they've let Concorde deteriorate, irregardless of what they are doing now 12 years down the line! I don't want XH558 to go the same way!

jem60

Post by jem60 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:09 pm

VLCN. With respect, it is probably deteriorating because people have not given enough money to the project. I am assuming that you did? If not, then perhaps your criticism is misplaced. No offence meant. Regards, John. [Ex Concorde passenger]

GVLCN

Post by GVLCN » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:21 pm

I have been on tours around Concorde yes, when it was open! I just can't understand why it was never housed in the vacant brabazon hangar, there has always been one shed empty even when MK Airlines were here. Makes no sense, it's ok accepting an aircraft but unless it can be cared for properly it should not be handed over! I took a drive down to XM655 after XH558's awesome display at gaydon & that was in far better condition than the Concorde I am currently close too!

Full credit to XM655 care team, that is one fabulous Vulcan I will return when it runs next year, for sure!

seven

Post by seven » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:45 pm

The Brabazon Hnagars are not empty i can asure you. The majority of the Bristol Aero Collection is in there for starters.

#KeepFightingMichael #banthebulls

GVLCN

Post by GVLCN » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:09 pm

They were empty for a long time is the collection there now? I'll have to go have a look I'm currently on site

seven

Post by seven » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:35 pm

Would be handy, still need an answer as to what happened to N748AA ;)

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:02 am

I have it as broken up in Nov 2013
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

seven

Post by seven » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:06 am

Cheers Bizfreeq!

acw367

Post by acw367 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:29 pm

Sylar wrote:
TankBuster wrote:I reckon her last flight will be at the point when VTTS realise that Doncaster isn't really a suitable place to retire XH558 to. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future she does a one way ferry flight to Bruntingthorpe. After all, that's where most people would like to see her go to, and in my opinion its probably the better option too!

TankBuster
I've had similar thoughts to this. What I don't get is the overwhelming desire to house it at Doncaster, just because it's was a V bomber base once. Other bases also held the same status. Scampton for one. Bruntingthorpe is a no brainer and the centre of excellence that VTTS wish to create could happen at Brunty.

But it won't. What do we know?

Cheers

Shane
VTTS are persona non grata for basing at Bruntingthorpe and will never be allowed there. It took them until mid-2014 to pay the £280,000 debts they owed to Mr Walton when he kicked them out in 2008/9. See page nine of their 2014 accounts report (published last month) and those for previous years. As a sidebar Marshalls wrote off £1.3M of VTTS debt (not a hit on the profitability of the UK aviation industry, surely just a generous corporate donation :grr: ) http://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk/Sh ... ccountList
Last edited by acw367 on Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

romeo bravo

Post by romeo bravo » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:44 pm

An interesting scan read of the document.....

"Heritage Lottery Fund

The Heritage Lottery Fund, in the form of its legal entity the National Memorial Heritage Fund (NHMF), maintains a charge over the aircraft on a reducing amount based on the HLF grant and the flying life of the aircraft, which is covered by the aircraft's Hull insurance. The contract between the VTST and the NHMF is for 80 years from 2005, requiring the Trust to deliver its public benefits based on the aircraft over this time. With 272 hours flown to date, VTST has now completed its flying commitment to the NHMF of 250 flying hours."

"The Trust will also require an interest in the plane or right to the exclusive use and possession of the aircraft for at least 99 years."

So it'll be around for a few years yet, although in a museum. But what happens if this doesn't work out; do they try and go 'cup in hand' to visitors to pay for it upkeep.

"PLANS FOR FUTURE PERIODS

In the short term, to develop XH558's home base at Robin Hood Airport and satisfy the requirements of operational and maintenance feasibility, affordability, visitor and school accessibility, catchment area and local 8 regional support."

So short term plan is Finningley, what about the medium/long term? Will it stay there!?!? How knows.......

lightning759

Post by lightning759 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:01 pm

as much as I love her I fear for her couple years down the line visitor numbers dwindle rent goes up I hope she doesn't depart in a skip , they could donate her to the airport , take the front off the terminal back her in put front back on least she would bee seen and safe from the elements .

andy
p.s before anybody says anything I do realise it would be next to impossible to put her in the terminal just my thoughts running away with me

C24

Post by C24 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:46 am

Hi lightning759,
Your suggestion is probably more realistic than most.
Romeobravo,
It would be interesting to dig a little deeper don't you think?

It is the end of an era, we have to accept it and move on. :roll:

Will the BBMF have a new hangar to house the four Tonkas?
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

Return to “The Vulcan XH558 Forum”