Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Farewell flt

For announcements, photographs and video's and general '558 related chat.
moxey

Farewell flt

Post by moxey » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:03 pm

Well I'm at a loss. Many years ago we had the miners march through the streets of the town centre. All the streets were cordoned off, no busses or cars allowed. So too the scouts. And in more recent times there are Asian religious groups who do the same. I pay no detriment to any of these. But how come a quiet country road can't be controlled where there are no houses or shops. We're not talking about a one direction concert here. Most of us are older and sensible. And if given a place to go, most probably would. There is a field south of quarry ( bet you would house 600 cars easily). Anyone know who owns it???And at a quid a car would make plenty and maybe Vulcan could then be given the go ahead to give us show on her last flight,without all this rubbish????? A hopefully Vulcan wedding couple x

Blue Diamond

Re: Farewell flt

Post by Blue Diamond » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:15 pm

Sadly the default setting for the Police these days seems to be "ban it". The final landing of Concorde attracted a vast crowd at Filton so the local Police closed the A38 and allowed it to become a viewing area. OK so Filton wasn't an airport with scheduled flights but it's not as though Finningley is busy on a Sunday.
Fighting 92 - The King Cobras
http://www.92squadron.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.92squadron.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

paulh

Post by paulh » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:35 pm

Thats far to easy that idea Moxey, I have just posted on the VTTS forum my view :@ .
Telling people to stay away now will surely affect the number of people attending RHA when she's grounded - I'm sure many people wont bother :whistle:
Looking like the Vulcan saga will end up in a right mess the way they are treating club members - myself included!!

Cheers Paul.

Lowfly11

Post by Lowfly11 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:18 pm

Why don't VTTS have a word with Hayfield Comprehensive School just up the road from Doncaster Airport..10 minutes walk..park all vehicles on their playing field...Edit 22.31..just posted on Facebook Vulcan XH558 about this idea for parking.Regards Tim

PR9

Post by PR9 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:17 pm

Agreed. I'm sure people wouldn't begrudge a couple of quid if a viewing area was set up.
The statements about staying away do seem extreme and it just seems they're going to spoil it.

"Spirit of Great Britain" indeed. ;)
MISSING - x1 Air Force.
If found please return to the UK.

Richard B

Post by Richard B » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:19 am

This is the reason why the people of the peoples aircraft did not want it to end up at
Doncastor airport. Will be know fast taxi days for the people only a select few who will pay a lot for it.
Will be the same on any taxi run day that the roads around will be jammed up every time.
Wrong place to retire her but the vtts do not see this. For some political reason they do not want
To give her up to anyone else, guess they want to hang on to the cash cow for as long as they can milk it.
She should be retired to Bruntingthorpes or Elvington to fast taxi and special night shoots etc for
the next 20 years. She is not going to last long at doncastor .

HP88

Post by HP88 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:30 am

Sooner or later commercial interests will push 558 out of the picture.
There will, most likely, be a reduction in income as time goes on. Hangar space will become expensive and we may well see what has happened to aircraft grounded at other airports where they have slowly been pushed out.
Bruntingthorpe may have been the best place to keep her where she could have been run with the rest of the collection there. Sadly though there is no where to keep her under cover.
So I agree that I am not confident of her long term future at Doncaster.

The statement by the police is, in my opinion, pathetic.
They have known for a long time the end was coming and should have prepared for it.
This stupid "ban It" attitude is typical of today's police force. This superintendent is clearly scared of her own shadow and is not taking into account the fact that this is a "one off" time and that there will be many thousands of disappointing people who may not get their last chance, and possibly, first and only chance, to see a Vulcan fly.
And then, of course, she is attempting to ruin the chance of people to see 558's final displays at Gaydon and Old Warden.

How about a "can do" attitude to get these people into a position where everyone can safely enjoy these last few moments of Vulcan history rather than the monotonous British attitude of lets Ban it.

EDIT
However, I should add add that i hope people respect the decision and stay away from the airport.

Blue Diamond

Post by Blue Diamond » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:09 am

HP88 wrote:Sooner or later commercial interests will push 558 out of the picture.
There will, most likely, be a reduction in income as time goes on. Hangar space will become expensive and we may well see what has happened to aircraft grounded at other airports where they have slowly been pushed out.
Bruntingthorpe may have been the best place to keep her where she could have been run with the rest of the collection there. Sadly though there is no where to keep her under cover.
So I agree that I am not confident of her long term future at Doncaster.

The statement by the police is, in my opinion, pathetic.
They have known for a long time the end was coming and should have prepared for it.
This stupid "ban It" attitude is typical of today's police force. This superintendent is clearly scared of her own shadow and is not taking into account the fact that this is a "one off" time and that there will be many thousands of disappointing people who may not get their last chance, and possibly, first and only chance, to see a Vulcan fly.
And then, of course, she is attempting to ruin the chance of people to see 558's final displays at Gaydon and Old Warden.

How about a "can do" attitude to get these people into a position where everyone can safely enjoy these last few moments of Vulcan history rather than the monotonous British attitude of lets Ban it.

EDIT

However, I should add add that i hope people respect the decision and stay away from the airport.
Sadly "can do" has gone the same way as "common sense" where much of authority is concerned. Both are alien concepts to many these days.
Fighting 92 - The King Cobras
http://www.92squadron.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.92squadron.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Supra

Post by Supra » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:06 pm

HP88 wrote: However, I should add add that i hope people respect the decision and stay away from the airport.

Not a chance!!....Anarchy from the proletariat at 'Robins' Hood', where due to an reversal error VTTG(round) will continue in their namesakes tradition of 'Robbing the Poor to give to the Rich' :whistle:

Richard B

Post by Richard B » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:05 pm

Guess the reason could be down to claims of delayed flights etc from the comercial side of Robin hood airport.
people on flights held up in traffic jams or gridlock due to any vulcan activities can now be claims against,
in this claims for cash world we live in today.

Supra

Post by Supra » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:52 pm

& for the very reason of "commercial side of Robin hood airport" just imagine the chances & restrictions on attendance that will impact the viability of 'Live-runs' in retirement. Sorry to note the obvious, but this is a pants location to operate from & retire to!

romeo bravo

Post by romeo bravo » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:45 pm

Hoping people will abide by requests is minimum. Just look at what so-called spotters did when we had the Canadian Lancaster was at Coningsby of the mayhem at Lossiemouth.

There will be numb-sculls who don't do as requested, and it will be these people who spoil it for the majority. Just check out route and see her in her element.....

steegcc

Post by steegcc » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:24 pm

My opinion is that the VTTS are between a rock and a hard place. On the one hand they do want as many people to see the Vulcan but they are seriously concerned and agonise about the consequences of major disruption to the airport and consequential claims. They have been fabulous in getting the Vulcan into the air and operating it for this length of time. The police have fired a broadside and basically say any disruption will not be our fault and costs we or anyone else will incur are likely to be put at VTTS door. I think it is this idea that is fundamentally wrong, but a very real concern to VTTS.

Sadly I feel the request to go to see the Vulcan at the airport will fall on deaf ears, not because of the minority of keen enthusiasts that have read the "Notice" and now agonise about going, but the thousands of families that will be driving around the airport trying to find a spot to view and probably haven't read anything on the Vulcan to the Sky website and so have no knowledge of the request. If a large field had been set aside traffic could be minimised as a lot of it is down to there being not enough space to park on the roads.
The police don't like big public gatherings of any type. Only "Freedom of Speech" allows demonstrations and even these can be curtailed. It is an irony that the Vulcan was a symbol for some , of protecting "freedom" over "tyranny".

I hope it all goes well tomorrow, and I will honour the request not to go to see the iconic Vulcan, which is a big sadness to me, but I fear it will have no real consequence to the situation. It will still be full of people who unknowing of the situation are following their right to go where they please in a public place. The real question is whether VTTS should be held responsible for what people wish to do with their free Sunday. I say they should not, but the lawyers will say "yes" or "no" depending on the side they are on and both will make lots of money. That is the sad but true situation that affects this but also many other events that would make life in this country so much more interesting if they could just get on and let them happen. There will always be bad situations but that should be classed as life.

On a point of checking out the route though, one isn't published until very late on, so no chance of getting into position. Maybe each sortie should have the most likely route taken then those who follow this information could at least be somewhere along it.

Finally, what am I going to do with my Sunday now! At least it saves me 4 hours in all travelling, without the queues they are expecting.

Jazz

Post by Jazz » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:41 pm

Nice to see you on here, Mr W :cool:
Its next weekend they are most concerned about, though it applies on any 'regular' day as well. They say the farewell tour routes will be confirmed in Tuesday's newsletter...

"So that as many people as possible can see XH558 on one of her final flights, we are planning a spectacular cross-country tour across Saturday 10th and Sunday 11th October. Final planning is underway and we will be bringing you more details in next Tuesday’s newsletter..."

Anyway, see you there next weekend :lol:
Dieu et mon droit. In hoc signo vinces

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:40 am

I reckon her last flight will be at the point when VTTS realise that Doncaster isn't really a suitable place to retire XH558 to. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future she does a one way ferry flight to Bruntingthorpe. After all, that's where most people would like to see her go to, and in my opinion its probably the better option too!

TankBuster
And there's plenty more where that came from!

Sylar

Post by Sylar » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:42 pm

TankBuster wrote:I reckon her last flight will be at the point when VTTS realise that Doncaster isn't really a suitable place to retire XH558 to. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future she does a one way ferry flight to Bruntingthorpe. After all, that's where most people would like to see her go to, and in my opinion its probably the better option too!

TankBuster
I've had similar thoughts to this. What I don't get is the overwhelming desire to house it at Doncaster, just because it's was a V bomber base once. Other bases also held the same status. Scampton for one. Bruntingthorpe is a no brainer and the centre of excellence that VTTS wish to create could happen at Brunty.

But it won't. What do we know?

Cheers

Shane
Still searching for the master shot.

Andrew45

Post by Andrew45 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:12 pm

Saturday and Sunday 10th and 11th will not be the final flights, weather permitting!

garryashdown

Post by garryashdown » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:25 pm

I expect a lot of "flack" for this post! As many others, I feel that Finningley is NOT a good retirement place for THE PEOPLES VULCAN. Mainly due to the access problems mentioned by others with regards to an active (just about) airport. Where I would agree that Brunty would be a good choice and is after all where she was brought back to flight. I worry about the long term future of ALL the aircraft at Bruntingthorpe! On the othet hand its onle 8 miles from my house! BUT - not knowing the operational set up at Elvington I would still think this would be a more suitable choice. IF the lottery bods are insisting on the thing about the inspiring the future generations (who will probaly ask "whats that grandad?) then could not any monies raised for such a project at Fimmingley be directed for the same purpose at Elvington?

PR9

Post by PR9 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:59 pm

Elvington and Brunty also have other live V-force bombers (Victors) present.
MISSING - x1 Air Force.
If found please return to the UK.

GVLCN

Post by GVLCN » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:00 am

The only place to allow XH558 to have some sort of secure future is bruntingthorpe, VTTS retiring it anywhere else would be a dire mistake. I remember when Filton had big plans to open a museum for the final Concorde but 12 years later it sits at the end of our site rotting away with out anyone really giving a monkeys about it!

Return to “The Vulcan XH558 Forum”