Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Diego Garcia

stevep22

Diego Garcia

Post by stevep22 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:52 pm

As part of my all consuming curiousity for all things aviation (idle...) I've been pulling up a number of locations around the world on Google maps and looking at them on the satellite view. One of these was the airbase at Diego Garcia. Don't know how old the image is but there are a number of B52's parked up there.

My question. Immediately behind each aircaft the ramp is blackened with what is obviously the engine exhaust and on one stand there is no aircraft but clearly the 'shape' of where they have stood from the exhaust. How much muck must they chuck out basically to have this effect on the ground?

Steve

Adam

Re: Diego Garcia

Post by Adam » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:12 pm

The H model TF-33s are much cleaner than the old J57s, gives you an idea of what they were like! The sat image is reasonably new. They are all H models

stevep22

Re: Diego Garcia

Post by stevep22 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:29 pm

That's interesting Adam. Looking at Diego Garcia sort of came about when discussing it last night at a dinner (for reasons I won't bore you with...) when one of our table pitched in with 'I've landed aircraft at Diego Garcia'. He is a former RAF Vulcan pilot and went on to fly VC-10's I believe.

Return to “Rest of the World”