Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Hurghada Airport

robin

Re: Hurghada Airport

Post by robin » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:51 am

The Gate Guard is on the Northern Mil entrance Road, which you pass by on your way to and from the airport, it is about half a mile along the road from the old Civil Terminal. (on the left side of the road), when leaving the airport.

Used to be a Squadron of Mil 8 helicopters (53 Squadron) here, not certain if they still operate from here as the new civil air terminal has taken a large slice of this airfield. Think you may find they maybe still based here, if so operating from the North-east side of the airfield.

The airfield itself has, and I mean lots of HAS over over the place (south, north, east and west sites), and the Chinese built F-7 & FT-7 (Mig-21 copy) did operate from these, well they did, and may still do so.

The aircraft (F-7's and Mil 8's) carry reasonable size serials, but are in Arabic numbers, so if you collect numbers, take a chart with you of conversion of 1 to 9 & 0, into Arabic.

I would suggest be very, very careful, the situation out there I suspect is worse than before, with the current tension i.e. Israel, Syria and their own unrest and rioting, not really the place to be spotting or taking photo's!!!!!!!

There is another paved airfield (Abu Shar Tentative) 15 North of Hurghade, but this is used by VIP, with very little based there, and being a "special" rich Arab person area, not good to be hanging around there anyway it has only one hangar.

Across the water (Gulf of Suez) you have the big civil airfield of Sharm El Sheikn.

Suggest for airfield layout, and for actual location of Mig-21 gate-guard look on Google Earth, that should help you more.

seven

Post by seven » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:38 pm

Last time i was there a few years ago, the F-7's were operating from the southern most HAS's, and did not fly during my week there. However a CH-47 was present at the northern end which did fly a few times during the week, im guessing thats the SAR detachment. There was also a C-130 coming it at least once a week.
Must admit though i did find it strange to step off the plane there to see Miss Demeanor sat on the ramp!

#KeepFightingMichael #banthebulls

Gavinlivsey

Post by Gavinlivsey » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:41 pm

Rampage,

I'm staying in Sahl Hasheesh, just south of Hurghada, at the moment. The fighters are still here and have been very active today. They also flew last Monday but no other days so perhaps they only fly one day a week. We've also had several C-130s in and out and a government Gulfstream which I wasn't able to read. There has also been a Chinook about a couple of times.

Gavinlivsey

Post by Gavinlivsey » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:02 pm

Sorry, no!

Gavinlivsey

Post by Gavinlivsey » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:31 pm

Harry,

Currently sitting in Cairo awaiting my return flight so thought I'd update.

Having said in my earlier post that the fighters had only flown last Monday they have flown every day this week, in fact two departed as we rolled up to check in. Fantastic sight and sound. They operate from the four ramshackle looking hangars/shelters at the south eastern corner of the field, right next to the R34 threshold. It looks like they taxi in one end and out the other so unless they have just arrived or are departing you won't see anything.

The chinook sits next to the runway in a small compound to the immediate north of the ramp but was only seen as we pushed off, our Emb170 made a pretty spirited departure and was well airborne by the time we were level with the terminal so i didn't get a look. If you land on R34 (which has been the preferred runway all week) i suspect you will turn off short. Perhaps see if you can get a seat on the left side and you'll see it as you taxi in.

The ramp isn't huge so if a C-130 is in, and they have been in and out most days, you might be able to read off.

As already stated I would not recommend pointing a camera or optics at anything with wings, civil or military. Even sitting hear in the terminal at Cairo overlooking the ramp A tourist has been taking pictures through the windows and has clearly been noticed.

Gavinlivsey

Post by Gavinlivsey » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:42 am

Rampage 3 wrote:Many thanks.
So the any hercs should be readable, but not the J7s or Chinook?

Harry
J7s definitely not unless you are lucky to meet one during taxi. Hercs probably if close enough to you on the ramp. Chinook, if you can see it side on you will be close enough to read.

Are you flying direct? If so, and you arrive during the day expect chaos. International arrivals had about half a dozen Russian flights around lunchtime and looked like a war zone. We went via domestic which was much more civilised and had the bonus of checking out Cairo Int'l which was a very pleasant surprise. No delays and very modern. Downside was that whilst waiting I logged eleven C-130 arrivals/departures which with my usual scope would have been a breeze to read. :grr:

Return to “Rest of the World”