Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Zeals Airfield

A forum for the discussion of Military aviation and RAF Station heritage
Alfie

Zeals Airfield

Post by Alfie » Fri May 26, 2017 9:41 pm

Has anybody got any old photographs of the Zeals Airfield ( South Wiltshire) operational from 1942 to 1946 It was used by the RAF, IXth Air Force and the Fleet Air Arm when it was renamed HMS Humming Bird. I actually lived at Zeals for a number of years but have never seen many pictures of the airfield when it was in action.

David Thompson

Re: Zeals Airfield

Post by David Thompson » Fri May 26, 2017 9:54 pm

A small amount of information on the Airfield Research Group website ;
https://www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.u ... 1574-zeals
Youth is wasted on the young !

Alfie

Re: Zeals Airfield

Post by Alfie » Sun May 28, 2017 9:37 pm

Thanks for your reply, but what I am really looking for is some shots from the forties when it was active, quite a lot of the trackways have been taken up. But there are still a few reminders around. On a small housing estate at the west of the village is where the WRAF camp used to be. That is where I grew up. A couple of neighbours still had air raid shelters in there gardens still being used for storage and or workshop space. In the entrance to my parent's bungalow, there was still the concrete base of what we were told was the guard room. We tried to break it up to no avail and in the end my father built a rather nice rock garden on it. But after knowing bits and pieces of the history of it there seems to be very few photographs still in existence of when it was active.

Return to “Heritage Area”