Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Malta Aviation Museum

A forum for the discussion of Military aviation and RAF Station heritage
robin

Malta Aviation Museum

Post by robin » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:19 pm

Have recently return to the UK from the Mediterranean area, to face the Christmas chaos and shopping.. trying to catch up on things

While out in the Mediterranean recently had the chance to view the NATO ships operating out of Malta, and Malta's own little defence force and operations.

While in Malta, I got to undertake a short visit the Malta Aviation Museum.

Be warned anyone visiting this museum it has a LOT of airframes sections in bits (not all together, but spread around), in various locations on the site. While the main hangars it is easy to log airframes serial, the many sections are not so easy to log (especially if you are on a tight timescale). While the museum staff are very helpful, often they do not have full information of were airframe section are located on site, or the serials, especially items not owned by the museum.

At the museum there was two Sioux AH.1 helicopter's, one being coded "D" (both ex UK AAC), and a UH-1, and a complete Bell 204B "SAR" (stripped down to metal, and stripped of equipment and ID), which was said to be ex 15 Stormo (Italian).

All three airframes were said to belong to a French man, and I was advised that all three would be transferred to France in 2017. As these airframes were not owned by the museum, they did not know the serials of them..

Due to time pressure I ran out of time trying to find the booms of the ex Army Air Corp Sioux's.

Any offer on the serials of these three airframes (2 ex AAC Sioux's and Bell 204B ?????

robin

Re: Malta Aviation Museum

Post by robin » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:45 pm

Have at long last identified the two ex British Army Air Corps and the Italian AB-204B at the Malta Aviation Museum, these being as follows:

XT550/D Sioux AH-1
XT133/- Sioux AH-1
MM80303/1-03 AB-204B

Undertaker

Re: Malta Aviation Museum

Post by Undertaker » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:15 pm

I thought the two Sioux were XT550/D & XT175 according to their web site with XT133 stored elsewhere on the island

Return to “Heritage Area”