Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Canberra WK163 to be restored to flight

A forum for the discussion of Military aviation and RAF Station heritage
andygolfer

Canberra WK163 to be restored to flight

Post by andygolfer » Thu May 19, 2016 1:37 pm

he latest VTST newsletter just dropped into my inbox - sent a day early to announce the VTST team's project to restore Canberra WK163 to flight by 2018 (for RAF centenary)

extract:
“WK163 embodies so much that is remarkable about British courage and innovation in the Jet Age; qualities that she can continue to inspire in us all,” states Dr. Robert Pleming, who led the team that returned XH558 to flight and is now chief executive of Vulcan to the Sky Trust. “I am thrilled to announce that the Trust plans to restore and fly her for the British public, as we did with Vulcan XH558, with an education programme around her to inspire new generations of engineers and aviators.”

here's a link to the full on-line version: https://mxm.mxmfb.com/rsps/m/sOylTr_0Sa ... uMDbRfbjCQ

good news!

andy
admin on the sister forum, http://www.civilianaviation.co.uk
but being old and grey I like a bit of the military stuff too !

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group:

andygolfer

Re: Canberra WK163 to be restored to flight

Post by andygolfer » Sun May 22, 2016 7:25 am

admin on the sister forum, http://www.civilianaviation.co.uk
but being old and grey I like a bit of the military stuff too !

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group:

GVLCN

Post by GVLCN » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:51 pm

Judging by the lack of people at the VTST or whatever they're called now, wk163 will never fly. If they were putting xm655 back in the air I'd had emptied my wallet in they're spare change bucket today. Certainly missed the Vulcan at yeovilton today!

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:19 pm

Unfortunately I think this one is dead in the water before it even starts. The donations to keep the Vulcan flying included a hefty amount from the general public as she captured their hearts as well as their imagination and attention. The Canberra, whilst a favourite of many of us erstwhle, die hard enthusiasts, is pretty much unknown to the rest of the population and it is them they have to target to make any real money for the project. I have spoken to a few non aviation minded people and they all say ''its just another plane isnt it,whats so special about it??''
I also think that, with an already airworthy example at Kemble (albeit currently seeking new ownership, unless I've missed the change), even many of the enthusiast comunity are questioning this one.
I wish them luck, and hope I'm proved wrong, but......
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

GVLCN

Post by GVLCN » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:15 pm

Was there anyone at the stand at RIAT? Just wondered why they've chosen a Canberra & not another v bomber

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:59 pm

Much as I would wish you to be correct, 'GVCLN', that wish is in the deepest realms of fantasy :( :( :(
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Rubberneck

Post by Rubberneck » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:14 pm

this arrived at Doncaster on three low loaders today

xm657

Post by xm657 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:56 pm

Newsletter emails seem to be getting more and more desperate for funding pleas. Hope this project actually gets somewhere.

Jaymer15

Post by Jaymer15 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:47 pm

Does anyone know what happen to this project? I had a search on the internet and couldn't find anything after 2016. Did it just not get the funding?

Return to “Heritage Area”