Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Charlwood/Gatwick Aviation Museum

A forum for the discussion of Military aviation and RAF Station heritage
erik_k

Charlwood/Gatwick Aviation Museum

Post by erik_k » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:25 am

Does anyone know if all/most aircraft in this museum are visible from OUTSIDE the fence, when the museum is closed?

We might take a look there this week.
The place is not visible from a higher position like a hill? (exept from a plane!)

Are the 2 Sea Harriers in the west part of Charlwood good for photos from outside the private property?

TIA,
Erik

flat cap

Re: Charlwood/Gatwick Aviation Museum

Post by flat cap » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:14 am

Not visible from outside the museum. It's open on Saturday though.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/flatcap707/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Avtur

Post by Avtur » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:11 pm

Concur with flat cap, not visible from outside....but well worth a visit any Saturday through the summer....check out the website.

http://www.gatwick-aviation-museum.co.uk/

Well worth a fiver, they are a nice crowd at the museum and I think they have struggled a bit since the sad death of Peter Vallance, so any support is most appreciated.

When I visited last month I think there was only 1 Harrier in situ, they have been rationalizing the exhibits over the past few months.

Check out the time lapse engines being fitted to the Lightning on the web site....quite entertaining :Wow:

Best Regards

Geoff
It's so nice to be insane...nobody asks you to explain.

erik_k

Post by erik_k » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:34 pm

Been there Friday morning and only one Shackleton and Canberra WH773 can be seen from Lowfield Heath Road. The Lightning is behind the Canberra.

The private yard in the west of Charlwood gives a good view on the 2 Sea Harriers and the Jaguar XX121 is in very high grass.
Behind it are a red rear of a Hawk and the front of a red Hawk with black Hawk wings in front of them.
Any help on the ID of this Hawk is very welcome.
From the pictures on Eurodemobbed this Hawk does not match with XX257 (Red Arrow c/s) or XX223 (old red/white c/s).

TIA,
Erik

etng83

Post by etng83 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:26 pm

Can anyone help with die Serial of the Black Hawk T1?I can only read XX2?? a red fin on Top with (XX)163 was there too!

fen

Post by fen » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:12 pm

Hi etng83,

Where and when did you see the Hawk please? I only ask as I had a visit to the Aerologistics yard at the start of November which yielded only the two Sea Harriers despite walking all over the grounds there.

Cheers and kind regards.

Return to “Heritage Area”