Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

north thoresby crashes ww2

A forum for the discussion of Military aviation and RAF Station heritage
philips1

north thoresby crashes ww2

Post by philips1 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:11 pm

Hi looking for some help i live in a village called North Thoresby in lincolnshire and im trying to gather some info on a couple of crashes that occurred in our village during WW2 any info would be very helpful thanks

15 March 1943 a Dornier Do217E-4 serial U5-LP from unit KG2 shot down after bombing RAF North Coates and crashed in north thoresby all crew survived and where taken prisoner to RAF North Coates i have two conflicting stories one says it was shot down by a beaufighter and another says it was shot down by ack ack from RAF north Coates

and

28 February 1942 a Bristol Beaufighter MkVI serial T3015 from 409 Sqn RCAF crashed after engine fire from either RAF Digby or RAF Coleby Grange i have found out the pilot was killed but the observer baled i have a full name for pilot but only a rank for the observer.
any info about locations of the crashes or any other info gratefully received

NAM Updater

Re: north thoresby crashes ww2

Post by NAM Updater » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:56 pm

Have you tried checking in S Finn's "Lincolnshire Air War 1939 -1945"?

If not, when I have a bit more time I'll have a look though for you.

The only North Thoresby reference I have is to the crew of Lancaster ED583, who are commemorated in the village memorial.
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

Thor

Post by Thor » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:48 pm

Looking through the accident record details we have at present on BCAR (http://www.bcar.org.uk) we have the Dornier listed as being brought down by AA fire and we do not currently have names of the Beaufighter crew.

However, we're embarking on a major research project in the coming months, funded by a successful HLF grant application, which will see us working from the microfilms of the F1180s and also source records held at TNA plus other sources. The results will be published summer 2015 if all goes to plan.

Thor

Post by Thor » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:11 pm

AIR 27/1800/7 & /8 cover this crash. T3015 crewed by P/O Murchie and Sgt Andrews was one of 2 aircraft scrambled from Digby to intercept reported enemy aircraft. T3015 caught fire and crashed as previously described. The text regarding this accident is very similar in both the Squadron and Station 540s. I'm in TNA at present with Digby's 540s in front of me.

Edit: From a combat report filed at a later date, when Sgt (F/Sgt by this point) Andrews was flying with P/O Norman Head - who coincidentally was flying the other Beau scrambled on the night of the crash that killed P/O R McC Murchie - it would appear that F/Sgt Andrews was F/Sgt Arthur C Andrews who later went on to be commissioned.

GOOSE

Post by GOOSE » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:12 pm

Great research Thor, used to hate compiling F540s but it's nice to see they have their uses. All mine were bland and boring though....... :thumb:
Aviation - “You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.” :thumb:

Thor

Post by Thor » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:00 pm

My team of volunteers & I have been at the research for a couple of years now, the past 14 months being spent working through 104 reels of microfilms of F1180s covering the WW2 period to transcribe the Lincolnshire ones. I've also done a fair bit of work on USAAF & Luftwaffe losses too, though I'm still working on the latter as I've just finished the transcription phase for my batch of microfilms plus some others I had to pick up to keep things on track. 2 of us spent 4 days in Kew photographing undigitised 540s to have a source of cross-reference as the F1180s rarely give more than the pilot's name, and if you've an interest in things USAAF, the 2nd Air Division Memorial Library in Norwich is well worth a visit. We've been very fortunate to have assistance from Bill Chorley, Stan Bishop and Terry Hancock amongst others with the research for the project too. If you're still around the area in early summer, keep an eye on the local media.

Return to “Heritage Area”