Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Rumour re- possible reformation of XXV Sqn

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Valley here.
F3

Rumour re- possible reformation of XXV Sqn

Post by F3 » Mon May 07, 2018 10:00 am

Wonder whether any Valley regular able to shed light on rumour seen elsewhere on this site re-possible split of IV Sqn. to form a new XXV Sqn. Anyone out there got any pukka gen oh this?

Vulcanone

Re: Rumour re- possible reformation of XXV Sqn

Post by Vulcanone » Mon May 07, 2018 11:00 am

I never did find it....

Whereabouts?

T

rh226

Post by rh226 » Mon May 07, 2018 11:08 am

Cheers, Bob

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon » Mon May 07, 2018 12:33 pm

I can confirm what Taff said in the other thread. It seems that the bird that we all thought was a Falcon on the gauntlet is actually a Hawk, that seems to be the only reason anyone can work out why 25 Squadron is rumoured second T2 squadron. As has been mentioned there are (to our knowledge) no other reasons for 25 Sqn to jump the queue in seniority.
If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all...

F3

Post by F3 » Tue May 08, 2018 10:19 am

Red Dragon wrote:I can confirm what Taff said in the other thread. It seems that the bird that we all thought was a Falcon on the gauntlet is actually a Hawk, that seems to be the only reason anyone can work out why 25 Squadron is rumoured second T2 squadron. As has been mentioned there are (to our knowledge) no other reasons for 25 Sqn to jump the queue in seniority.
Does this mean that there the badge has actually been applied to a T2? If so has anyone get a pic of it as would be v. interested in seeing. The description of a Hawk on a gauntlet is certainly the XXV Sqn. badge. Re - seniority, I'm afraid that this is often academic as it usually comes down to the affiliation of the decision maker.

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon » Tue May 08, 2018 9:28 pm

F3 wrote:
Red Dragon wrote:I can confirm what Taff said in the other thread. It seems that the bird that we all thought was a Falcon on the gauntlet is actually a Hawk, that seems to be the only reason anyone can work out why 25 Squadron is rumoured second T2 squadron. As has been mentioned there are (to our knowledge) no other reasons for 25 Sqn to jump the queue in seniority.
Does this mean that there the badge has actually been applied to a T2? If so has anyone get a pic of it as would be v. interested in seeing. The description of a Hawk on a gauntlet is certainly the XXV Sqn. badge. Re - seniority, I'm afraid that this is often academic as it usually comes down to the affiliation of the decision maker.
To the best of my knowledge, there's no physical proof of a XXV Sqn T2 marked aircraft exists. As for the seniority/ favouritism there's no known (as yet) ex XXV Sqn pilots at RAF Valley or currently within the staff of 22 Group.

However we await the outcome with interest

F3

Post by F3 » Wed May 09, 2018 11:01 am

'Curiouser and curiouser' in the words of Lewis Carroll. Where then has the badge been seen, and by whom? and how is the sighting of the badge linked to the rumour? We must get to the bottom of this Watson (sorry, Red Dragon)!

steve149c

Post by steve149c » Thu May 10, 2018 6:16 pm

I asked the RAF for a list of squadrons based on Seniority under FOI act

25 Sqn was at the time the most senior dormant unit when these rumours started, number 22 on the list. Wish I had asked for the top 100 Sqns now :ninja:

Hopefully you can see the link

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... 2.pdf.html

Steve
Amateur modeller
Canon 7D2, 100-400mm IS L lense, Icom R6 and alot of luck!

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:58 pm

Well, via Twitter, it is now official. 25 Sqn will be stood up later this year as the second T2 squadron.

Return to “RAF Valley & Mona”