Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

newish fence/barrier just inside base Rwy 19 threshold end

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Valley here.
TombsRIP

newish fence/barrier just inside base Rwy 19 threshold end

Post by TombsRIP » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:26 am

I noticed last December a new fence/barrier had been erected between taxyway to rwy 19 threshold and low fence opposite "viewing area". It effectively starts when aircraft have come off VAS apron adjacent to the main gate. Makes photography slightly more tricky but ay least you can walk up near railway bridge to gain some height.

Guess various people concerned with spotters walking across road to low fence or just a FOD control measure? I also wondered whether it had anything to do with Texan ops with prop wash etc. Probably not, just a thought. Obviously a safety/security measure whatever the reasoning behind it.

Im sure VAS can shed more light on this development.

Cheers

nickowen

Re: newish fence/barrier just inside base Rwy 19 threshold e

Post by nickowen » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:12 pm

The fence has been erected following the construction of a new perimeter road which bypasses the 19 threshold and is a road safety measure. It is to prevent drivers on both the perimeter road and the public road being confused by oncoming vehicle headlights to their left.
Cheers
Nick
VAS

TombsRIP

Re: newish fence/barrier just inside base Rwy 19 threshold e

Post by TombsRIP » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:34 pm

Thanks for that. I do remember now a new "internal" road under construction last summer around the 19 approach so makes sense now. It also serves the purpose of making taxying shots a tad more difficult but road safety comes first! They obviously didnt have an issue before the new road was laid as now the new one runs much closer to external road. More H&S legislation as well these days...thats progress for you!

Cheers MG

Return to “RAF Valley & Mona”