Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Which IAT Airshow?

Got a hole in an old log? Empty lines in your notebook? Request that missing serial here, hopefully someone can help. Requests over 6 months old only please.
LecLightning56

Which IAT Airshow?

Post by LecLightning56 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:59 am

I am trying to identify an IAT airshow that I attended in the 1980s. I recall that the weather was overcast and the venue probably Greenham Common. Of note to aid identification of the year involved, I recall a number of USAF C-130s in a static area well away from the crowd line of the flight display, with a backdrop of hangars. These aircraft were well to the right facing the flight display. The C-130 aircraft sported very dark camouflage. 1981 is a distinct possibility, but if anyone has any photos of such aircraft which confirm my sighting then please let me know. I was at Greenham in 1977 and 1979, but do not recall this sighting on these occasions. Unfortunately, my records are scant for this period in the 1980s (not an active spotter then). I cannot rule out Fairford (I was there in 1985), but I am not familiar enough with the airfield layout to confirm the presence of the hangars at this location to confirm either Greenham or Fairford.

LecLightning56

Re: Which IAT Airshow?

Post by LecLightning56 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:25 pm

One further thought is which of Greenham or Fairford had dark coloured hangars on the airfield on the public (non-flying) side of the airfield? If I can jog your memories then so much the better.

JAWS

Post by JAWS » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:29 pm

Try taking a look through these photos see if any jog your memory . There were Buildings over the static side if i recall correctly but it was a long time ago now .

Greenham Common

1980 - https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/airshow/Ne ... val%201980

1981 - https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/airshow/IAT%201981/?

1983 - https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/airshow/IAT%201983

Fairford

1985 - https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/airshow/IAT%201985
Regards Steve............

"If the Military had to make money, they'd be doomed !!"
Chuck Adams, Buffalo Airlines.

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:03 am

LecLightning56 wrote:One further thought is which of Greenham or Fairford had dark coloured hangars on the airfield on the public (non-flying) side of the airfield? If I can jog your memories then so much the better.
I think the simple answer to your question is that neither base had hangars on the static side of the airfield. From memory the only building at Greenham was the control tower and nothing resembling a hangar at Fairford.

tm74sqn

Post by tm74sqn » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:50 am

LecLightning56 wrote:I am trying to identify an IAT airshow that I attended in the 1980s. I recall that the weather was overcast and the venue probably Greenham Common. Of note to aid identification of the year involved, I recall a number of USAF C-130s in a static area well away from the crowd line of the flight display, with a backdrop of hangars. These aircraft were well to the right facing the flight display. The C-130 aircraft sported very dark camouflage. 1981 is a distinct possibility, but if anyone has any photos of such aircraft which confirm my sighting then please let me know. I was at Greenham in 1977 and 1979, but do not recall this sighting on these occasions. Unfortunately, my records are scant for this period in the 1980s (not an active spotter then). I cannot rule out Fairford (I was there in 1985), but I am not familiar enough with the airfield layout to confirm the presence of the hangars at this location to confirm either Greenham or Fairford.
C-130s with dark camo - could they be MC-130Es? If so, Greenham Common.
HTH, TM74

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:14 pm

plmc135 wrote:
LecLightning56 wrote:One further thought is which of Greenham or Fairford had dark coloured hangars on the airfield on the public (non-flying) side of the airfield? If I can jog your memories then so much the better.

I think the simple answer to your question is that neither base had hangars on the static side of the airfield. From memory the only building at Greenham was the control tower and nothing resembling a hangar at Fairford.
Whilst that is true of what constituted the official static at Fairford, access was available by bus to the north side parking areas which would definitely have hangars in some of the photos as the aircraft were parked in front of them and in between. However I would think there would be an elevated element to them as photographers were mainly up on the top deck of the buses.
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:36 pm

The original post clearly states hangars on the public (non-flying) side of the airfield. The North Side parking areas at Fairford were for aircraft involved in the flying display.

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:48 pm

It actually says
I recall a number of USAF C-130s in a static area well away from the crowd line of the flight display, with a backdrop of hangars. These aircraft were well to the right facing the flight display
So doesn't 'clearly' say anything of the sort and could be construed as public or non public as it is more than a little ambiguous.
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

DAVEBRAD

Post by DAVEBRAD » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:06 am

hi,
IAT was held at Cottesmore for a couple of years, so that would have had hangars in the background...

regards,
dave...

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:21 pm

DAVEBRAD wrote:hi,
IAT was held at Cottesmore for a couple of years, so that would have had hangars in the background...

regards,
dave...
This was year 2000/2001 i think?

Mike

LecLightning56

Post by LecLightning56 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:48 pm

Thank you all for your kind comments about the show I am trying to isolate in my head, but quite definitely I had given up the ghost post about 1985 where RIAT is concerned (my enthusiasm had waned but with more time spare these days getting back into it again). I think the year may have been 1981 at Greenham but I am hazy about the presence of any hangars. All I remember is a long trek well away from the flightline for the display and a number of dark-camo C-130s were in residence.

graham luxton

Post by graham luxton » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:36 am

The only times dark-camo C-130's have been resident at Greenham were during the Autumn of 1970, 71 and 76 when Combat Talon C-130E's were deployed there to participate in Ex `Flintlock` - an annual Special Forces exercise held at various bases in Europe. These were always parked South side in front of the hangars.

ST24

Post by ST24 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:30 pm

LecLightning56 wrote:Thank you all for your kind comments about the show I am trying to isolate in my head, but quite definitely I had given up the ghost post about 1985 where RIAT is concerned (my enthusiasm had waned but with more time spare these days getting back into it again). I think the year may have been 1981 at Greenham but I am hazy about the presence of any hangars. All I remember is a long trek well away from the flightline for the display and a number of dark-camo C-130s were in residence.
There was indeed a dark camo MC-130E at IAT '81 but the only others far side were RAF to support the Reds and Falcons. Im really struggling to think of a venue that fits your memory.... :'(

bonniville

Post by bonniville » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:39 am

bonniville

Post by bonniville » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:06 am

Return to “Old Serial tie up area”