Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

B52s at Marham 1973

Got a hole in an old log? Empty lines in your notebook? Request that missing serial here, hopefully someone can help. Requests over 6 months old only please.
Post Reply
chrisk
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:58 pm

B52s at Marham 1973

Post by chrisk » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:56 pm

This is my first post. Was the B52 60-0012 at EGUN on 09-01-18 at Marham for the bombing comp in 1973, and if so what were the serials of the others that were with it. Thanks Chrisk

graham luxton
Posts: 1177
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:27 pm

Re: B52s at Marham 1973

Post by graham luxton » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:04 pm

chrisk wrote:This is my first post. Was the B52 60-0012 at EGUN on 09-01-18 at Marham for the bombing comp in 1973, and if so what were the serials of the others that were with it. Thanks Chrisk
60-0004 319BW
60-0012 17BW
60-0021 5BW
61-0014 410BW

chrisk
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:58 pm

Re: B52s at Marham 1973

Post by chrisk » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:41 am

Wow that was quick,thanks for your help

CHESTER_DRAWERS
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 8:48 pm

Re: B52s at Marham 1973

Post by CHESTER_DRAWERS » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:10 pm

Just out of curiosity how many times did B52's visit Marham - was it yearly or was this just a one off ?

CD

graham luxton
Posts: 1177
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:27 pm

Re: B52s at Marham 1973

Post by graham luxton » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:30 pm

CHESTER_DRAWERS wrote:Just out of curiosity how many times did B52's visit Marham - was it yearly or was this just a one off ?

CD
Operating from Marham SAC participated in RAF Bombing Competitions during the following years - 1967, 70, 71, 72, 73, 76, 77,78, 79, 80 and 81.

In addition, like Fairford, Brize Norton and Upper Heyford it was a B-52 Forward Base and hosted deployments in 1979, 80, 81, 82 and 1988.

This resulted in 61 B-52's visiting the base - 1 E, 14 D's, 22 G's and 24 H's

CHESTER_DRAWERS
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 8:48 pm

Re: B52s at Marham 1973

Post by CHESTER_DRAWERS » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:56 pm

Thanks Graham ... much appreciated

ranger one one
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:20 pm

Re: B52s at Marham 1973

Post by ranger one one » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:25 pm

Ah Mr Luxton - font of all knowledge concerning Buffs ( and others) over what the last 50+ years.
Graham what total do you have now on 52's putting an appearance in the UK ?

Kind regards

Bob

graham luxton
Posts: 1177
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:27 pm

Re: B52s at Marham 1973

Post by graham luxton » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:17 am

ranger one one wrote:Ah Mr Luxton - font of all knowledge concerning Buffs ( and others) over what the last 50+ years.
Graham what total do you have now on 52's putting an appearance in the UK ?

Kind regards

Bob
Its been good to look back at all those Buff visits Bob - some great memories.
At least 295 of them have visited the UK but I doubt if the actual number will ever be known. Of those, 131 visited Fairford, Brize Norton, Greenham Common and Upper Heyford when they were B-47 bases but as most spotters reports only covered weekends back then, there is plenty of scope for others to have come and gone on weekdays and gone unreported.
Although some have been to other bases in the UK before there are still 12 Barksdale/Minot H's which havn't been reported at Fairford so far - hopefully that number will reduce in the coming months!

all the best,
Graham

Redflag17
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:54 pm

Re: B52s at Marham 1973

Post by Redflag17 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:27 am

i remember a deployment to sculthorpe in the 1970's

graham luxton
Posts: 1177
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:27 pm

Re: B52s at Marham 1973

Post by graham luxton » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:38 am

Redflag17 wrote:i remember a deployment to sculthorpe in the 1970's
Never heard of any B-52 landing at Sculthorpe - plenty down the road at Marham though. If you have specific details regarding Sculthorpe like to know about them.

User avatar
Nighthawke
Posts: 1858
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:04 pm

Re: B52s at Marham 1973

Post by Nighthawke » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:48 am

So would I as I lived less than on the 06 approach less than 2 miles away! Also never seen a B-52 there either. Sounds like confusion with Marham for the bombing competitions.

ranger one one
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:20 pm

Re: B52s at Marham 1973

Post by ranger one one » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:19 pm

Thanks for another considered reply Graham. Your right 295 out of a total of 744 built does seem on the low side, but as you alluded to, logging was in its infancy in those days. Do you have any B/C Models to your name by chance ?

Kind regards

Bob

bigcrow
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:46 am
Location: Vale of Evesham
Contact:

Re: B52s at Marham 1973

Post by bigcrow » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:28 am

graham luxton wrote:
ranger one one wrote:Ah Mr Luxton - font of all knowledge concerning Buffs ( and others) over what the last 50+ years.
Graham what total do you have now on 52's putting an appearance in the UK ?

Kind regards

Bob
Its been good to look back at all those Buff visits Bob - some great memories.
At least 295 of them have visited the UK but I doubt if the actual number will ever be known. Of those, 131 visited Fairford, Brize Norton, Greenham Common and Upper Heyford when they were B-47 bases but as most spotters reports only covered weekends back then, there is plenty of scope for others to have come and gone on weekdays and gone unreported.
Although some have been to other bases in the UK before there are still 12 Barksdale/Minot H's which havn't been reported at Fairford so far - hopefully that number will reduce in the coming months!

all the best,
Graham
Graham certainly is a font of all knowledge when it comes to Buffs in the UK. To add to this thread here is my link of images taken by myself & dad of past Buff UK deployments

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=109005

Post Reply

Return to “Old Serial tie up area”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests