Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Dutch Newbie's in the UK

For beginners to the hobby to have all those "newbie" questions answered...
BirdieBarty

Dutch Newbie's in the UK

Post by BirdieBarty » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:47 am

Hello FighterControl members,
We are BirdieBarty & Airman who are going to be spending some time in the UK.
It will be the first time in the UK as spotters. We plan to come from 23july-27 july.
The plan is to drive from the Netherlands to Lakenheath, Mildenhall & Marham for the F35.

We are looking for some spotters advice.

1. How is the police handling spotters with scanners?
2. I've heard the fences are very high in the UK and with our regular stepladders it's nog high enough to shoot over the fence. Do you have location advice where the best spot we can be in the morning & afternoon.
3. We are looking for some sunset shoots of F15's at Lakenheath, if possible some nightshots. Any change on a location?
4. We heard / read there are F35's in the UK (around 4 pieces at Marham). Do you recommend us to go there?
5. What are the best days to visit which base?
6. If you want to see B-52 which base do you need to visit?

We are full with a lot of questions and we hope to get some answers from you guys. If anyone is interested in showing us for the great spots we are more then happy to thank you in an amount of patches from Dutch airbases and squadrons.

We hope to hear from you,

BirdieBarty & Airman
Twitter: @bartvanderdoes
Web: http://www.bartvanderdoes.nl

blkswan40

Re: Dutch Newbie's in the UK

Post by blkswan40 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:57 am

Hi BirdieBarty im also new here as regards the Police handling spotters with scanners in 2014 I was at Raf Scampton air display i wanted to take my uniden bct-125 handheld scanner looked on forums about
would the police confiscate it the general opinion was that one should use it descreetly with a headset on so your not prodcasting it in public.
So off i went with said scanner and my headset i was sat down behind 5 people with deckstairs keeping my head down so to speak 10mins later i had a tap on my shoulder i turned round and two policemen were stood there one of them asked if that was a scanner.
I said yes he said dont worry where not going to take it off you can we have a listen he went on to say that we have seen 100 plus people with scanners today the custody sergent wouldnt be to happy if we brought 100 people back to the copshop.
As this was all happening the royal Jordanian F-16 Falcon had just taken off and the pilot spoke on my scanner welcome to the royal Jordanian Airforce F-16 the sound of fredom Display.
By then i had a group of 50 people around me listening in one of the Policemen wanted to know what make & model the scanner was also was it easy to use/programe he was ex Raf Himself.

Freeman Lowell

Post by Freeman Lowell » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:12 am

Hi Bart,
Take a look in The Spotters Area on here for the Airfield guides for each of the airfields you mention. That may help with some of the position questions/answers. Gary also posts the operating hours for Marham on the same page.
Marham is a slow day now the Tornados are going out of service but, as you said, that's where our F-35s are.
IFthere is a B-52 deployment to the UK whilst you are here it will be at Fairford, and there will be plenty of notice.
You will enjoy your week. Just talk to people on the fence. You'll find most are very friendly.
Freeman
Sometimes I talk to myself, then we both laugh and laugh.

BirdieBarty

Post by BirdieBarty » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:10 am

Thank you blkswan40 & Freeman Lowell for your comments. I've printed all the information on paper and brought it with me.
I'll check the forums and pages regarding movements. I really hope to see the F35 at Marham.
Thanks so far for the updates and replies and info.

Again if someone is interested in guiding us around the week. Showing us the best spots where to photograpgh taxi shots, landing shots, take off shots, banking shots, from Lakenheaht, Mildenhall & Marhem just remember you will be heavilly rewarded with Dutch airbase patches from Leeuwarden & Volkel.

BirdieBarty

Post by BirdieBarty » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:46 am

Remember guys, if anyone is able to update is with some info when the f35 is flying or and tover interesting military activity on Lakenheath or Mildenhall let me know. You well be rewarded with loads of patches.

Return to “The Newbie Forum”