Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Newbie with new scanner

For beginners to the hobby to have all those "newbie" questions answered...
blkswan40

Newbie with new scanner

Post by blkswan40 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:00 am

Hi All I came across this site while looking for military aircraft frequencies for my new Uniden Bearcat bct x15 scanner that i bought mid April 2018 theres a lot of info and help here thanks guys.
I live in Newton Aycliffe 6-8 miles from Darlington when i got my scanner i just did civil airband sweeps and military sweeps then on the 20th-21st April while sweeping the military airbands.
I picked up radio coms of RAF personal chatting about Warrior exercise that was starting at 11:00am that day so i was glued to my scanner with pen & paper to hand as more and more frequencies kicked into life i thought wow this is great.
I dont know where in England/Scotland the warrior exercise took place but i enjoyed listening i was surprised that i picked up that traffic coms with the stock 18" telescopic antena that came with the scanner.
I have now got a Diamond D-777 antenna i live in rented acommondation so was'nt allowed to attach anything to the outer walls the loft is'nt boarded just as loft insolation so went to a local hardware store to get some wood to make a stand of some kind.
When i got there i talked to one of the guys he said they had some coffee table legs that were discontinued he also said dont buy a small sheet of mdf go to the wood cutting section they'll have offcuts so i got the leg & the offcut for 2.50
I have downloaded freescan to enter all the frequencies and im picking up even more now pic below of my antenna on coffee table leg/plinth.
Also had to buy a serial to usb patch lead to conect scanner to pc its a lot easier adding systems/civ airband/military/ Groups/Airfields/Channel/Frequencies with freescan on pc

TREBAX_RAVEN

Re: Newbie with new scanner

Post by TREBAX_RAVEN » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:21 pm

Hello, welcome to the forum.
sounds like your having great fun with your new scanner set up. :thumbs:
Tribute to 47 squadron

Return to “The Newbie Forum”