Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Hello from Leicester

For beginners to the hobby to have all those "newbie" questions answered...
Mez7000

Hello from Leicester

Post by Mez7000 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:27 pm

Hi All

Have been knocking about on here for a few weeks now!

Caught the military bug in August after spending a fortnight at Woodhall Spa on holiday and visited RAF Coningsby for the day which then turned into a visit every day for about 10 days! Went back to Woodhall in October for a week and again spent it at Coningsby - great place and the kids loved it too, with my eldest extending her photography hobby to include military aircraft.

Planning to go to the RIAT next year and intend to visit more bases soon, other than Coninsgby (bound to back their early New Year :cool: )

I bought a Uniden UBC125XLT for our return visit to Coningsby and it is now clogged up with many frequencies. Have spent today trying to tidy it up. If anyone can give me some guidance with what sensible frequencies to put on it, that would help - obviously have lots of Coningsby and the other Lincs bases but also Lakenheath, Mildenhall, Brize Norton and Fairford. I have put in a load of Swanwick Mil, AAR and AWACS too - but have I gone over the top, and in most cases have gone as far including every frequency I can get for these bases.

How does everyone else manage their scanner banks?

Some guidance on frequencies would much appreciated (which to keep and which to dump) and which ones are the best ones to pick up from Leicestershire. If anyone would like to share their programmed frequencies, I would be most grateful! :thumbs:

Cheers
Mark

StandardTom

Re: Hello from Leicester

Post by StandardTom » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:37 pm

Hello Mark,

Welcome to the forum! Have a look at the following website, it contains maps for lots of different locations which include the frequencies that are in use. You might find them useful in the future.

http://www.pb-photos.com/

You should also check the spotters area section of the forum as call sign and frequency information are generally available in there.
My Photos on Flickr
Cheers, Tom.

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:21 am

Hi Mark :P

Welcome aboard the friendly aviation forum :thumbs:

Best regards and happy scanning :thumb:

Paddyboy :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

eagle1

Post by eagle1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:43 pm

Hello Mark & welcome

You have chosen a great forum here. We look forward to sharing your photos

I have the 125 scanner and get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Good advice from StandardTom above. Good luck :thumb:

RIAT will be a bit special next year, especially now the Thunderbirds have confirmed their attendance :clap:

Cheers

Martin
Uniden UBC125XLT/Roof top aerial
Yupiteru MVT5000
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Canon EF-S 55-250
Sigma 150-600 C
Plane Plotter
360 Radar

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

https://www.flickr.com/photos/martin_a/

Mez7000

Post by Mez7000 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:31 pm

Thanks Chaps for the warm welcome!! :thumbs:

su39frogfoot

Post by su39frogfoot » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Hello Mark from Leicester! I'm Mark from Leicester too! Been an aviation nut, airband listener and past PPL holder for over 30 years but my very first post on here! (you can always learn more from others).
I also have a 125XLT which I feel is one of the best scanners for airband right now. I have mine organised as follows:
Bank 1 Swanwick and Scottish civil.
Bank 2 local airports and airfields
Bank 3 (spare at the moment)
Bank 4 Swanwick military
Bank 5 Waddington & Coningsby
Bank 6 Mildenhall & Lakenheath
Bank 7 Brize Norton
Bank 8 Marham
Bank 9 RAF & USAF refuel
Bank 0 Cranwell

Regards
Mark

P.s nice to see a Typhoon on QRA practice yesterday, passed right over here at 40,000ft outbound and inbound back to Coningsby.

Return to “The Newbie Forum”