Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Herc fleet to be retired early as part of Defence cuts?

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
filmman

Re: Herc fleet to be retired early as part of Defence cuts?

Post by filmman » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:28 pm

I agree with You Shackleton.
Unfortunately some people believe that power does not come from the barrel of a gun and economic might. That you can slash defence and still expect everyone will be nice to you. Could we now defend the Falklands, probably not, could we retake them, no. The gelded carriers without proper support are useless, the navy lost a lot of ships defending the fleet then. Rapier was useless then because it was impact fuzed; only afterwards when proximity fused did it work. So is the MOD fit for purpose? It still overspends and can't deliver. Chopping the Carriers makes sense, but the Establishment are not capable of making that decision. So they cut what they should not.
Filmman

Tronk 11

Post by Tronk 11 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:37 pm

They seem to cut first and then the brave armed forces suffer the consequences. It happened with the mighty Nimrod. Cut for a saving, but how do we make sure our nuclear subs are getting out of dock safe without a Russian hunter tracking and tailing it. It's a waste of money if an invisible sub is tailed!
We used to pride ourselves with delivering aid, troops, supplies but this would put a bigger strain on the A.400 fleet.

Chop the puma fleet would mean the RAF wouldn't have a medium troop airlift and put the strain on the chinooks. Wouldn't this be the same as the herc and atlas?

Or are we stuck with the 'what we'd wish for' rather than what we need, or do we have a cold war mentality of how do we defend ourselves if someone invades! Just a thought.

I doubt anyone on this forum would want to see any cuts. We've managed without the harrier, let's cut some more as we'll still manage, may be the political approach.

All up in the air at the moment and MAY just be journalists point of view, i didn't read the article so not sure if anyone was questioned from the RAF? Time will tell.

welshandy

Post by welshandy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:50 am

This on the BBC
"Defence budget: New equipment at risk over MoD savings 'doubts'"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42382002

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:20 pm

The way things are going we will end up buying our Harriers back from the US!!!!
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

baz1

Post by baz1 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:28 pm

what is this country coming to what a load of idiots we have running this country sound like MOD have not got a clue!
Comfortably Numb

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:48 am

The revolt by some Conservatives, and the Defence Sec seems to have won Defence a little more time.....

baz1

Post by baz1 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:24 pm

and about time too someone needs to come to there senses while other nations build up there forces ours drindle why not get rid of everything then pick what we may need!!??
Comfortably Numb

one1938

Post by one1938 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:38 pm

The real problem is the not so civil servants in the MOD not the military

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:44 pm

....... the real problem is a government that doesn't want to increase defence spending, that sees reduction in capability an easy hit (Harriers, Carriers, etc. complete capability removal) compared to health (which is poorly managed and funded anyway), together with, I think some examples of poor project management in the MoD, BUT, to point the accusing finger at MoD in every single example is to not understand the complexity of finance and contracts.

jem60

Post by jem60 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:10 pm

Agent K. I could not agree with you more!. It always annoys me that some people think that people in Government and the MOD are an uneducated bunch of nitwits. It has to be understood by everybody that there simply is not enough money around to make it a perfect world. A lot of people need to open their eyes to other problems of underfunding. According to Boris Johnson, the NHS needs another £100 million a week to get it back to a viable proposition. Where do people think this money is coming from???. I would love to see us being world leaders again, with strong armed forces, with all that that entails, but it can't happen with successive governments being too scared to admit that the only alternative is to raise Income Tax to cure this country's ills. I do hope this will happen, particularly for those of us who can afford a slight rise, but it must come soon, otherwise things will only get worse!. Trouble is, raising taxes is not a vote winner, so any party that suggests this will lose the next election. You and I don't have the answer, but the politicians do,

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”