Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RAF / RN F-35 Purchase - Discussion thread

All discussion about the 2015 SDSR in here please.
Rockstar
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:47 pm

Re: RAF / RN F-35 Purchase - Discussion thread

Post by Rockstar » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:27 am

RubyRoo wrote:The SDSR announced a new F-35 squadron was to stand up, but in the infographic they released in the report it only says 2 squadrons will be going in 2025?

617 and 809NAS have already been announced. Have I missed something?
Within the main document it says the RAF will receive an extra F35 squadron, so I would assume that will leave us with 809NAS and then 617 plus another for the RAF. It also reads that this will be part of joint force 2025. Hopefully we have therefore got an extra F35 squadron to look forward to by then

User avatar
Jammo
Posts: 1259
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:36 pm
Location: Norwich UK

Re: RAF / RN F-35 Purchase - Discussion thread

Post by Jammo » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:23 am

thorny1a wrote:We don't mind having three F-35 bases in Norfolk... Marham, Coltishall & Sculthorpe! & if they dredge the outer harbour at Great Yarmouth we can have the carriers too! :clap:
And the 9 P-8's at Norwich International :clap: :clap: :clap:

User avatar
flarkey
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Nelson's County - EGSV.

Re: RAF / RN F-35 Purchase - Discussion thread

Post by flarkey » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:19 pm

Sculthorpre? Na, more likely to be Old Buckenham.

09andrew
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:41 am

Re: RAF / RN F-35 Purchase - Discussion thread

Post by 09andrew » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:44 pm

RAF Woodvale would only need a bit of a runway extension!!!

tm74sqn
Posts: 900
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:27 pm
Location: Oxfordshire

Re: RAF / RN F-35 Purchase - Discussion thread

Post by tm74sqn » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:02 pm

Little Snoring airfield in Norfolk would be ideal for vertical landing F-35Bs - they would certainly wake-up the local yokels!
TM74

johnwayne
Posts: 536
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:48 am
Location: milton keynes

Re: RAF / RN F-35 Purchase - Discussion thread

Post by johnwayne » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:26 pm

Maybe in the fullness of time if we get to 100+ F-35's we might end up with a mix of A & B variants - after all the carriers can't take more than a minority and the A model presumably has a better payload/range ?

RubyRoo
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:30 pm

Re: RAF / RN F-35 Purchase - Discussion thread

Post by RubyRoo » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:48 pm

Rockstar wrote:
RubyRoo wrote:The SDSR announced a new F-35 squadron was to stand up, but in the infographic they released in the report it only says 2 squadrons will be going in 2025?

617 and 809NAS have already been announced. Have I missed something?
Within the main document it says the RAF will receive an extra F35 squadron, so I would assume that will leave us with 809NAS and then 617 plus another for the RAF. It also reads that this will be part of joint force 2025. Hopefully we have therefore got an extra F35 squadron to look forward to by then
Thanks, Rockstar.

That was my understanding too.

138 F-35's allows provision for many more squadrons to be announced, but I suspect as these (very) slowly enter service they'll start replacing early Typhoon squadrons or the last Tornado squadrons.

617 was announced first so it makes sense that it's the RAF's turn again. I imagine the RAF and FAA will alternate in announcing new squadrons, unless some of the 138 are F-35A's in which case they'll go straight to the RAF.

Stroudy
Posts: 592
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:35 pm

Re: RAF / RN F-35 Purchase - Discussion thread

Post by Stroudy » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:49 pm

Put some at 'RAF' Fairford?

User avatar
Gary
Posts: 34269
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:51 pm
Location: South Lincolnshire

Re: RAF / RN F-35 Purchase - Discussion thread

Post by Gary » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:04 pm

Just seen this on Facebook
We reached an exciting milestone this week as 2 Brits flew F-35Bs together for the 1st time at the Marine Corps Air Station, Beaufort, South Carolina.

In just 2 years time, the UK will be flying Lightings (JSF) from the decks of HMS Queen Elizabeth. In 868 days, the 1st F-35B arrives at RAF Marham in the UK.
Info from https://facebook.com/uk.usembassy/

That's a bit precice date for the F-35s at Marham :lol: works out to be 2nd June 2018 :lol:
RAF Tornados left in service = 20 :( 137 ish days left in service
GR4 =17, GR4(T) =3

User avatar
Richard B
Moderator
Posts: 4621
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:53 pm
Location: Warwickshire

Re: RAF / RN F-35 Purchase - Discussion thread

Post by Richard B » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:50 pm

RubyRoo wrote:
Rockstar wrote:
RubyRoo wrote:The SDSR announced a new F-35 squadron was to stand up, but in the infographic they released in the report it only says 2 squadrons will be going in 2025?

617 and 809NAS have already been announced. Have I missed something?
Within the main document it says the RAF will receive an extra F35 squadron, so I would assume that will leave us with 809NAS and then 617 plus another for the RAF. It also reads that this will be part of joint force 2025. Hopefully we have therefore got an extra F35 squadron to look forward to by then
Thanks, Rockstar.

That was my understanding too.

138 F-35's allows provision for many more squadrons to be announced, but I suspect as these (very) slowly enter service they'll start replacing early Typhoon squadrons or the last Tornado squadrons.
Even ifvwe did buy 138 F35s, we would never have that many on strength at onetime.
Will only ever be 20 too 30 ever in service at once.
how many Typhoons have we bought and how many are on active front line service today, at a guess 40?..

617 was announced first so it makes sense that it's the RAF's turn again. I imagine the RAF and FAA will alternate in announcing new squadrons, unless some of the 138 are F-35A's in which case they'll go straight to the RAF.

Phoon
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:50 pm

Re: RAF / RN F-35 Purchase - Discussion thread

Post by Phoon » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:35 pm

Thanks, Rockstar.

That was my understanding too.

138 F-35's allows provision for many more squadrons to be announced, but I suspect as these (very) slowly enter service they'll start replacing early Typhoon squadrons or the last Tornado squadrons.
Even ifvwe did buy 138 F35s, we would never have that many on strength at onetime.
Will only ever be 20 too 30 ever in service at once.
how many Typhoons have we bought and how many are on active front line service today, at a guess 40?..

617 was announced first so it makes sense that it's the RAF's turn again. I imagine the RAF and FAA will alternate in announcing new squadrons, unless some of the 138 are F-35A's in which case they'll go straight to the RAF.[/quote][/quote]


Typhoons on the active list - 29(R) sdn 20-25 airframes, 41(R) sdn 6 airframes, 1, 2, 3, 6 & 11 sdn around 12-13 airframes, 1435 Ft 4 airframes each so around 100 aircraft that are classed as 'active'.

Canberra TT.18
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 9:11 pm

Re: RAF / RN F-35 Purchase - Discussion thread

Post by Canberra TT.18 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Hello

I have a question.

617 Sqn and 809 NAS are mentioned as first 2 units for the Lightnings, but will there be a dedicated OCU/(R)Sqn?

So:
17R Sqn = OEU -> task might move to 41 (R)Sqn?
617 Sqn first operational
809 NAS second operational
??? Sqn third operational (mentioned above)
but
??? (R) Sqn = OCU or is this done in the USA?

Pieter

User avatar
Skymaster
Posts: 3817
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:18 pm
Location: Addlestone, Surrey

Re: RAF / RN F-35 Purchase - Discussion thread

Post by Skymaster » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:59 am

BAe awarded contract to build engineering and training facilities at Marham.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/arti ... -base.html

mudcity
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:44 am

Re: RAF / RN F-35 Purchase - Discussion thread

Post by mudcity » Wed May 18, 2016 12:58 pm

With the F35 getting closer to entry into RAF service, I was wondering what the plan is for air to air refuelling ?
Unless I am mistaken the F35 needs a boom tanker and the RAF has none.....the P8 will face the same issue

User avatar
markranger
Moderator
Posts: 2393
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:01 pm
Contact:

Re: RAF / RN F-35 Purchase - Discussion thread

Post by markranger » Wed May 18, 2016 1:03 pm

mudcity wrote:With the F35 getting closer to entry into RAF service, I was wondering what the plan is for air to air refuelling ?
Unless I am mistaken the F35 needs a boom tanker and the RAF has none.....the P8 will face the same issue
The F35B and C use the Drogue System so it will fine, The US Navy and USMC both currently use the Drogue system so Guess its just the A model that uses the Probe system.


Mark.
Nikon D600
Nikon D500
Nikon 300 F2.8 VR1
50mm F1.8




My Flickr Pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/markranger/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EGVP
Posts: 12309
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:26 pm

Re: RAF / RN F-35 Purchase - Discussion thread

Post by EGVP » Wed May 18, 2016 1:03 pm

You are indeed mistaken - the F-35B (the one we are getting) has a hose and drogue system, as used by the US Navy and Marine Corps.

https://www.facebook.com/royalairforce/ ... 1508464885

Centre point: https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t3 ... 7001_o.jpg

Wing point: https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t3 ... 7299_o.jpg

mudcity
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:44 am

Re: RAF / RN F-35 Purchase - Discussion thread

Post by mudcity » Wed May 18, 2016 4:31 pm

Thanks for the clarification ....

grimreaper
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 8:44 am
Location: nottingham

Re: RAF / RN F-35 Purchase - Discussion thread

Post by grimreaper » Wed May 18, 2016 5:20 pm

Am I right in thinking that Lakenheath will be a hub for the rest of the F35s in Europe and with Marham getting new facilities could well see some foreign visitors more regularly in the years to come

Matt

User avatar
Richard B
Moderator
Posts: 4621
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:53 pm
Location: Warwickshire

Re: RAF / RN F-35 Purchase - Discussion thread

Post by Richard B » Wed May 18, 2016 6:58 pm

grimreaper wrote:Am I right in thinking that Lakenheath will be a hub for the rest of the F35s in Europe and with Marham getting new facilities could well see some foreign visitors more regularly in the years to come

Matt
Not sure why Lakenheath would be of any type of hub.
My bet would be Italy, considering the Italians are building the F35s.

User avatar
cfett75
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:15 am
Location: A world with 2(AC) Sqn Hawks...
Contact:

Re: RAF / RN F-35 Purchase - Discussion thread

Post by cfett75 » Wed May 18, 2016 7:10 pm

grimreaper wrote:Am I right in thinking that Lakenheath will be a hub for the rest of the F35s in Europe and with Marham getting new facilities could well see some foreign visitors more regularly in the years to come

Matt
I doubt that Lakenheath will become a hub, but with an Anechoic Chamber being built at Marham (Where 3 hangar was I believe) I don't think it would be out of the realms of possibility to see other Northern European operators using it.

Chris Fett
Chris Fett-Worsfold
Web : cfaviationphotography.com
Facebook : CF Aviation Photography

Post Reply

Return to “Strategic Defence Review”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests