Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

UK Confirms 9 Boeing P-8's to be purchased

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Vulcanone

Re: UK Confirms 9 Boeing P-8's to be purchased

Post by Vulcanone » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:03 am

I do find some of the statements on here amusing...... :ninja:

Given that the RAF had no problems with operating Shackletons or Nimrods from Kinloss, or on boltholes to Lossie, why would any storms make a difference now.

And as I have Scottish relatives, I suspect the haggis is the least of your worries, Wait till Nessie goes on the rampage....

Tim S :whistle:

scimitar

Post by scimitar » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:59 am

Thunder wrote:Might be worth taking into consideration the likelihood of "Haggis" strikes on take off and landing, those pesky little rodents get everywhere. Maybe South of the Border would be a better option?
But where South of the Border.

Given the problems with the runway at Waddington the likelihood is that the P8's will be fully operational at Lossie long before the tarmac is set at Waddington. As for Leeming well that's a non starter because of weight issues hence the reason the P8 had to operate from DTV a couple of years ago. :halo:

Cammy
Canon EOS1200D
Canon 18-55mm
Tamron 70-300mm
Tamron 150-600mm

onemac

Post by onemac » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:42 pm

Of course it's not what you know but WHO you know :roll:

Click here for reason P-8's are coming to Lossie.

Al

davidn

Post by davidn » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:14 pm

Obviously there was never a storm when he was in charge at Lossie or that might have changed his mind.

ythanpythan

Post by ythanpythan » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:32 pm

davidn wrote:Obviously there was never a storm when he was in charge at Lossie or that might have changed his mind.
The aptly name Group Captain Gale successfully shepherded RAF Lossiemouth through one of the worst storms Scotland has seen, namely Hurricane Bawbag so I'd say he's more than experienced enough.

davidn

Post by davidn » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:40 pm

Oh I was there. In my shed, hanging from the inside of the roof trying to hold it on while the wife tried to secure it with a rope.

Saved the shed, but the fence ended up in Buckie i think.

onemac

Post by onemac » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:24 pm

I just don't know how both civil and military aircraft cope with all this weather we seem to have in Scotland? Shacks, Nimrods, Buccs or Jags - they survived; the only difference is that the media is now reporting adverse weather 'as it happens'. I'm also sure that 9 big aircraft can be filled to the brim with fuel, parked into wind and some fully fuelled bowsers placed in front of them as happened recently to the VMFA-232 F/A18's when tragedy forced them to divert. I fear for Aberdeen, Inverness, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Prestwick though and of course God forbid there be extreme weather south of the border - how will Brize, Waddington, Mildenhall and the major English civil airports cope? Just as the Scottish bases/airports will I'm sure. This is a non-issue.

Al

normie

Post by normie » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:16 pm

thought the P8 did not operate from Leeming due to lack of fire cover

davidn

Post by davidn » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:51 pm

Yorkshire got the Tour de France whilst Moray got nothing.

They can't have everything y'know.

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:27 pm

Three Maritime Patrol Aircraft To Be In Service By 2020

POSTED BY: GEORGE ALLISON DECEMBER 22, 2015

The MoD plan to have three P-8 Maritime Patrol Aircraft in service by 2020 it has been revealed.

The P-8 Poseidon, developed by Boeing, is designed to conduct anti-submarine warfare, anti-surface warfare and shipping interdiction, along with an electronic signals intelligence role. This involves carrying torpedoes, anti-ship missiles and other weapons.

The following information comes from this response to a written question on the 21st of December 2015.

“The Ministry of Defence is currently engaged in detailed negotiations on the Boeing P-8 Poseidon Maritime Patrol Aircraft. As the Prime Minister announced to the House on 23 November 2015 (Official Report, column 1059), we intend for at least three of the aircraft to be in place by the end of the Parliament.”

Additionally, it was reported earlier in the year by various sources that the UK is looking at having two US Navy P-8’s, with British crews, operate from the UK in order to bridge the gap between now and when the first P-8’s enter service.

The UK will order 9 Boeing P-8 Poseidon aircraft to be based at RAF Lossiemouth in Scotland.

The history of the aircraft dates back to June 2004, when the US Navy announced the selection of the Boeing multimission maritime aircraft, 737 MMA, and awarded a contract to Boeing for the system development and demonstration phase of the programme for the US Navy’s next-generation maritime surveillance aircraft. The aircraft was given the designation P-8A in March 2005.

Poseidon contains up to 7 crew computer consoles in its cabin, has an electro-optical and infrared sensor turret, a maritime surveillance radar and signal intelligence system. Its radar is capable of detection, classification and identification of ships, small vessels and surfaced submarines.

It also has coastal surveillance capability. The P-8 is fitted with advanced magnetic anomaly detection system for submarine tracking. The Poseidon can be used for search and rescue operations.

According to the US Navy, the aircraft in US service carries lightweight Raytheon Mk54 anti-submarine torpedoes. It may also carry other torpedoes, missiles, free-fall bombs, depth charges, mines, or sonbuoys in its weapon bay. Air-to-surface and air-to air missiles, such as Harpoon anti-ship missiles, SLAM or AGM-65 Maverick land attack missiles, and AIM-9 Sidewinders or AIM-120 AMRAAMs will be carried on the under wing hard-points.

It has been speculated that the UK may elect to integrate Storm Shadow on the aircraft, as it had planned to do with Nimrod prior to the cancellation of the aircraft.
Info from UK Defence Journal
Posh are going to Wembley (albeit for a tin cup)

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:12 pm

I haven't got the Janes article to link to but they suggest that its not likely to be integrating Storm Shadow to the RAF fleet of P-8s

As for a name, well the Indians are calling it the Neptune IIRC.

Tim

page_verify

Post by page_verify » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:52 pm

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here, but the RAF are buying their P-8s from the US Navy, rather than Boeing, so it's likely we'll have some sort of capability sooner than the headlines suggest.

thorny1a

Post by thorny1a » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:24 pm

My Name idea..... Piranha MRA1

"Sense, search, bite!" :thumb:
Last edited by thorny1a on Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- RAF Coltishall - Gone but never forgotten
- Norfolk. Nelson's County

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:32 pm

The US Navy P-8 programme office is most likely dealing with the purchase as it is no doubt doing with the Aussie examples, (Just as the Aussie Super Hornets were) but they are still coming from the Boeing production line when we get them.

That obviously doesn't include any that maybe loaned out to us in any interim deal

T

POL

Post by POL » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:47 pm

page_verify wrote:I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here, but the RAF are buying their P-8s from the US Navy, rather than Boeing, so it's likely we'll have some sort of capability sooner than the headlines suggest.
All FMS goes through one of the services; USAF, USN or USAr.

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:57 pm

As what EGVP said :thumbs:

T

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:03 pm

Just out of interest which Squadron is likely to be reformed for the P-8s?

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:35 pm

Well the there is a good question.

With only 9 airframes is it going to be just 1 Squadron with the OCU/OEU becoming part of the 54/56 Waddington ISTAR set up?

Jetex61

Post by Jetex61 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:38 am

It's got to be 120 or 201 Sqns

page_verify

Post by page_verify » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:25 am

Recent history would suggest nine aircraft would only justify one operational squadron, the only exception in recent times was the E-3D because it has over 20 people per crew. It'll be interesting to see whether the P-8 falls under the ISR umbrella at all, and if it does whether 54(R) will train new crews. I suspect it will. Even with two new aircraft a year being delivered, that's still less than 40 crew a year across several branches and trades to train. I understand the bottleneck for the whole aircrew recruitment programme is already much nearer to civvy street than the operational squadrons, apart from WSOs.

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”