Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

USN GB Gallery

Please post your finished builds in here.

Moderator: Flyingmonster

Flyingmonster

USN GB Gallery

Post by Flyingmonster » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:23 pm

Entries for the USN GB Group Build

Please post a few shots of your entries to the GB. I have a 1/72 Trumpeter Sea Fury to give away as a prize :thumb:
Cheers

Boo boo (aka Jamie)

'The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down!' - Yeager

Flyingmonster

Re: Hawk T1 - Goshawk T-45 Conversion

Post by Flyingmonster » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:25 pm

Hi All,

Made from Airfix Hawk T1, 1/72 scale with Model Alliance decals (MAS-729031) and Conversion kit from Airframe CS-167 Conversion set.

Building was ok, Milliput for the nose, scratch made slats, arrestor hook, extra winglets, air-brakes and body shaping, conversion kit for the front wheels, full flaps and arrestor hook mechanism.

Well its here, its taken a while and I have learnt shed loads. I'm happy with the overall result, though I have learnt alot of lessons for next time. Hopefully the final images do the T-45 Goshawk some justice. We have got a T-45C, No 163635-205, VX-23 'NAV AIR' from the United States Navy - Naval Air System Command (NASC) Strike Test.

So on with the images

On the starboard wing is "Navy", this isn't there on the real ones, it is blank, but I thought it looked odd blank.

There we go guys & gals - looking forward to your comments,

Steve

Posted by Steve - steve149c
Cheers

Boo boo (aka Jamie)

Flyingmonster

Re: USN GB - 1/60 Vought F7U-3 Cutlass

Post by Flyingmonster » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:27 pm

Revell kit, all straight out of the box, and used a light dirt wash for some slight sea weathering.

Posted by Dave - Davedubya
Cheers

Boo boo (aka Jamie)

Flyingmonster

Re: USN GB - 1/72 Grumman Hellcat Bu.40467

Post by Flyingmonster » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:28 pm

I started to precis this and realised it would take forever. There is a full account of the aircraft and its pilots here;
http://www.americanmilitaryhistorymsw.c ... rd-m-hill/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a picture of the aircraft, taken off of the net, at Duxford.

And here is a picture of Alex Vraciu posing with Hellcat Bu.40467

Here is my offering.

Posted by Steve - FTS
Cheers

Boo boo (aka Jamie)

Flyingmonster

Re: USN GB - 1/72 F4U-1D Corsair (VMF-212)

Post by Flyingmonster » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:29 pm

This kit is the rather old Testors kit and is tbh not very good. The kit lacks a cockpit, fits poorly and is very dated, however, at the cheap price I got it at on ebay makes up for it.

The aircraft is made in the scheme of aircraft F-107 which was flown by WWII ace Phillip Delong. Phillip DeLong entered the U.S. Marine Corps in Corpus Christi, Texas and graduated from his flight training on December 16, 1942. Delong was given his aviation wings and commissioned a Second Lieutenant and went on to serve in the Pacific during WWII and scored 11 aerial victories with VMF-212 flying the F4U-1 Corsair.

Here is the aircraft pictured during WWII.

The build itself;

Posted by Steve - FTS
Cheers

Boo boo (aka Jamie)

Flyingmonster

Re: USN GB - 1/72 F6F-5 Hellcat 'Paper Doll'

Post by Flyingmonster » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:30 pm

This is a build of Revells boxing of the F6F-5 Hellcat, in the scheme of 'Paper Doll'. The aircraft was operated by VF-27, operating from the USS Princeton in 1944. The aircraft was flown by Ensign Robert Burnell.

Posted by Steve - FTS
Cheers

Boo boo (aka Jamie)

Flyingmonster

Re: USN GB - 1/72 F4U-4 Corsair (VMF-323)

Post by Flyingmonster » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:31 pm

This aircraft is painted in the scheme of Vance 'Bud' Younts aircraft during the Korean War, who at the time broke a US Navy rule, that was not to apply any nose art to any aircraft. Amongst the F4U pilots to see action during the early, critical, phase of the Korean War, 1Lt Vance 'Bud' Yount of VMF-323, embarked in USS Badoeng Strait (CVE-116) and then USS Sicily (CVE-118). He flew many missions against enemy troop concentrations in 1950-51. From the time the 'Death Rattlers' entered combat, its pilots were pushed to the limit due to the sheer number of targets in-theatre. They included the retreating remnants of the NKPA, as well as fresh Chinese troops pouring in during the winter of 1950-51.

'Bud' Yount, pictured with the aircraft.

The build;

Posted by Steve - FTS
Cheers

Boo boo (aka Jamie)

Flyingmonster

Re: USN GB - 1/72 SBD-3 Dauntless (USS Yorktown - Midway)

Post by Flyingmonster » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:32 pm

This aircraft is painted in the scheme worn by the aircraft piloted by Max Leslie during the Battle of Midway. Those who have seen the film the Battle of Midway, will recal an aircraft which jettisoned its bombs when the pilot flicked the arm switch. This is that aircraft. Undeterred by his lack of bomb load, Leslie led the squadron onward and was first to dive on the IJN Soryu, supplying suppressive machine gun fire in order for the other aircraft to get through to the target, which they did, sinking the carrier. The aircraft was flown from the USS Yorktown, which after a successful counter attack by the Japanese, was later sunk by a Japanese submarine.

The aircraft is available in diecast form from Corgi, and their product is what I used for referrence.

Posted by Steve - FTS
Cheers

Boo boo (aka Jamie)

Flyingmonster

Re: USN GB - 1/72 F4U-1 Corsair (VF-84 USS Bunker Hill 1945)

Post by Flyingmonster » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:33 pm

A bit of background on the aircraft and the carrier:

USS Bunker Hill

USS Bunker Hill (CV/CVA/CVS-17, AVT-9) was one of 24 Essex-class aircraft carriers built during World War II for the United States Navy. The ship, the second US Navy ship to bear the name, was named for the Battle of Bunker Hill. Bunker Hill was commissioned in May 1943, and served in several campaigns in the Pacific Theater of Operations, earning eleven battle stars and a Presidential Unit Citation. She was badly damaged in May 1945 by Japanese kamikaze attacks, with the loss of hundreds of her crew, becoming one of the most heavily damaged carriers to survive the war.

After the attack she returned to the U.S. mainland for repairs and was decommissioned in 1947. While in reserve she was reclassified as an attack carrier (CVA), then an antisubmarine carrier (CVS), and finally an Auxiliary Aircraft Landing Training Ship (AVT), but was never modernized and never saw active service again. Bunker Hill and Franklin were the only Essex-class ships never recommissioned after World War II.

Stricken from the Naval Vessel Register in 1966, she served as an electronics test platform for many years in San Diego bay, and was sold for scrap in 1973. An effort to save her as a museum ship in 1972 was unsuccessful.

VF-84

On 1 May 1944, the first VF-84, known as "Wolf Gang" was established. It was formed around a nucleus of veterans of VF-17 (the original "Jolly Rogers"), an F4U Corsair squadron land-based in the Solomon Islands in late 1943 and early 1944. The new squadron's commanding officer was Lt. Cdr. Roger R.Hedrick, former executive officer of VF-17. VF-84 was assigned to the USS Bunker Hill (CV-17), the original home of VF-17. As part of Task Force 58, the carrier and its air group (including VF-84) participated in the final drive across the central Pacific. VF-84 took part in the invasion of Iwo Jima; raids on Tokyo and other targets in Japan; the discovery and sinking of the Japanese battleship Yamato and support of the invasion of Okinawa, including combat air patrol over the invasion fleet to defend against kamikaze attack, ground support, and combat air patrol over targets on Okinawa.

On 11 May 1945, while off Okinawa, two Japanese kamikazes struck the carrier in quick succession. A bomb carried by one penetrated to the pilots' ready room. Twenty-two members of VF-84 lost their lives in the attack. Both the carrier (then the flagship) and its air group were knocked out of the war. Although VF-84 was reformed in July as an F6F Hellcat squadron, the war ended while it was still at its base in the United States. The squadron was disestablished on 8 October 1945.

While with the task force, the pilots of VF-84 were credited with 92 shootdowns for a loss of 4 Corsairs in air-to-air combat, a ratio of 48:1. Nine of the squadron's pilots became aces.

Here's a picture of the real aircraft on the deck of the USS Bunker Hill.

The build.

This is my first entry for this GB. I tried some new techniques with the weathering which included using a 'cue tip' and black chalk to dirty the gun ports.

Without the flash.

Posted by Steve - FTS
Cheers

Boo boo (aka Jamie)

Flyingmonster

USN GB - 1/72 F4U-4 Corsair (VMFT-20)

Post by Flyingmonster » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:42 pm

Posted by Steve!
Cheers

Boo boo (aka Jamie)

tc2324

Re: USN GB Gallery

Post by tc2324 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:02 am

Model depicting F-14, BuNo 159610, from VF-32 `Swordsman` shortly after landing on the 4th January 1989 after shooting down a Libyan MiG-23 `Flogger` with a AIM-9 Sidewinder during what was to become known as the Gulf of Sidra Incident.

At the request of the National Air and Space Museum, the Navy provided BuNo 159610 to its Udvar-Hazy location near Dulles International Airport for public display on the September 30th 2006.

Last edited by tc2324 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

FTS

Post by FTS » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:51 pm

F/A-18A Hornet 'Blue Angels'

http://stevenharrisongreen.wixsite.com/shgp
facebook.com/stevenharrisongreenphotography
instagram.com/shgphotography86/

tc2324

Post by tc2324 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:01 am

F-8E Crusader
VF-111 `Sundowners`

74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

steve149c

Post by steve149c » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:02 pm

Hi All,

Built almost OOB, just some EZ Line for the Aerial. A good build with not too much filling - this is the first every aircraft for my airbrush, so I am pleased with the results. I love the colours too! I love Tamiya's new colour, XF-85, Black Rubber - it looks great on tyres and the walkway.

The Douglas Devastator TBD-1 was almost retired at the entry of America into the war, however they became part of almost every major sea battle. Carrying a single torpedo, and a crew of three, with one as a rear gunner, and a single forward gun.

Kit: Airfix A02034 1:72
Model: Douglas Devastator TBD-1
Colours: Humbrol Enamel Matt Yellow (24), Tamiya XF-16 Flat Alumium, Tamiya XF-85 Black Rubber, Tamiya X-7 Red, Tamiya XF-2 White
Decals: Kit supplied
Others: Klear

Onto the model;

I decided not to weather this model as I think she looks nice like this. As always C&C and advice welcome!

Thanks for looking
Steve
Amateur modeller
Canon 7D2, 100-400mm IS L lense, Icom R6 and alot of luck!

FTS

Post by FTS » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:36 pm

Here's my offering of Fujimis A-4F 'Blue Angels' Skyhawk in 1/72.

I think I got the blue right with this one. Here it is with its brother.

Added to all of the other builds I did for this GB.
http://stevenharrisongreen.wixsite.com/shgp
facebook.com/stevenharrisongreenphotography
instagram.com/shgphotography86/

waghorn41

Post by waghorn41 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:15 pm

OOB, Academy 1/144, F14 of VF114 (nose to tail is 125mm) Decided to do this in flight as the undercarriage was rubbish and the doors would have been about 6 inches thick in scale! Missiles looked pretty naff too. Yes, I know, it's an old Airfix stand - robbed from one of my Hunters.
ex-RAF Hunter, Harrier and Wessex mechanic

Flyingmonster

Post by Flyingmonster » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:31 pm

Well I finished the EA6B from Kitech in 72nd :thumb: Finished in a mixture of markings due to problems with the Decals!

:thumb:
Cheers

Boo boo (aka Jamie)

Return to “Gallery”