Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Double Build Italeri/Tamiya and Academy

An area to show all your in progress models.

Moderator: Flyingmonster

aviationcafe

Double Build Italeri/Tamiya and Academy

Post by aviationcafe » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:36 pm

Hello,

With the arrival of the airbrush and compressor yesterday I've decided to take the plunge and build two kits at the same time. the two kits I'm building are the 1/100 Academy F-14 and the reboxed Italeri/Tamiya Jaguar GR-1, here is the usual box shots for the moment.

Box Shot of both kits:

Academy 1/100 F-14 Tomcat:
Stand for the Tomcat:
Sprue A:
Sprue B:

Tamiya/Italeri Jaguar GR-1
Sprue A:
Sprue B:

The Tomcat is going to be finished in White, and at the moment I'm unsure about the Jaguar, its either going to be in the Gulf War Colours or the Grey/Green scheme which it can also be built in!

Thanks for Looking.

steve149c

Re: Double Build Italeri/Tamiya and Academy

Post by steve149c » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:18 pm

Nice choices - so which airbrush did you go for? If you need any help, just shout
Amateur modeller
Canon 7D2, 100-400mm IS L lense, Icom R6 and alot of luck!

aviationcafe

Post by aviationcafe » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:54 pm

Little bit of an update on this:

I'll start with the F-14 first.. So far I've built up the front section of the kit, sadly no in progress shots of the pit but its bascially made up of five parts, two seats, two headrests & the base which I have sprayed a satin black for the time being, and sprayed a dash of humbrol 29 as there wasn't much left in the tin, this will be sanded down before the first coat of Medium Sea Grey is added to the top & wings, and also added the Intakes on the bottom half of the aircraft.

Jaguar wise, I've attached the Fuselage sections together as per the instructions, and also added the intakes which the internal parts have been sprayed in a Light Sea Grey, and will tomorrow hopefully be sprayed in a medium sea grey.

I know its not much of an update at this present moment, but with having a bit of a hectic weekend its the most I could do.
steve149c wrote:Nice choices - so which airbrush did you go for? If you need any help, just shout
Hi Steve,
I picked up a cheap airbrush kit from amazon, it consists of a HS08 mini compressor which is about 6 inches by 4 inches & a basic dual action airbrush which to me was an ideal starter kit.
I've been looking for a while now and this seemed to be the ideal set to get me going, I've already been looking around for something like a Badger or Iwata starter brush, the compressor although not all that powerful so far on the test bits I've done using an old body shell for a Revell Ferrari kit has given me no problems with pressure for me to spray with.
I've worked out that if I put a couple of drops of tamiya X-20A thinners in a small plastic shot container then pour a 4/5mm of paint into it and give it a good stir that it goes through properly and doesn't give any spitting at all, plus after every use it gets cleaned properly so hopefully it'll last me quite a long time!

John

tc2324

Post by tc2324 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:50 pm

:thumb:
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

steve149c

Post by steve149c » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:20 pm

Nice start and looks same airbrush I stated out with
Amateur modeller

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:21 am

Hi John :P

Nice progress there ;)

1/100 :Wow:

You must have good mincers :lol:

Cheers

Patrick :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

aviationcafe

Post by aviationcafe » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:42 pm

Hi,

Sorry for the lack of updates, the kits seem to be falling together much quicker than I anticipated, and together with getting back into Football photography again and going out from 7am - 4pm jobhunting hasn't left me with much time to do as much as I'd like on the kits. I've also started to use Humbrol Model Filler instead of Milliput, as you will be able to tell on the Jaguar and also the nose of the Tomcat.

Academy F-14:
At the moment this is still in the "brown" stage (makes it a oh fudge to photograph though) but have now filled the gaps on the underside and also the front nose section's has been filled & sanded.
I've also attached the rear section, which has the inlet's attached and also the inlet blades which can't be seen due to the inlets.
Decided to see how it looks though when the two sections are together and even in 1/100 scale its not a bad size at all, will either be using the stand or having it sat next to the "Bear":

Jaguar:
I've attached the nozzles at the rear of the aircraft and with a hairy brush applied some Tamiya X-10 Gunmetal to the sections which it require, as well as prior to this a light coating of Tamiya XF-83.
I've also attached the nose section as can be seen below, need to do a bit of filling where the join is but that's a quick job for tomorrow:
Also a quick shot of the wing attached:

Thanks for Looking

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:17 am

Coming along nicely there, John :thumb:

Best of luck with the job-hunt ;)

Cheers

Patrick :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

steve149c

Post by steve149c » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:43 am

Nice little update, these 1/100 kits are awesome as I have built a couple
Amateur modeller

Return to “Work In Progress”