Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Introduce yourselves

For general modelling chat and discussion.

Moderator: Flyingmonster

viper3111

Introduce yourselves

Post by viper3111 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:15 am

As the model section is growing ever bigger with new people joining us all the time I thought it would be nice for people to introduce themselves.

So it would be nice to know who builds what, which scale do you prefer, what era do you enjoy building, Jets/ props or both. Do you use after market detail sets, decals or do you prefer straight out the box (SOTB) as well as what is your favourite aircraft to build?

If you would like to see a subject, build, tutorial, thread, group visit or anything to do with model building that you would like to see or explained then this is also the place to do it :thumb:

So over to you

Flyingmonster

Re: introduce yourselves

Post by Flyingmonster » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:26 pm

Afternoon Chaps! :thumb: Most of you all know me a bit by now but here goes! Im Jamie, 19 and Aviation Daft! I love anything to do with it! You will never see me not looking skywards! :lol: I have been building models since I was 11 but took a break for a good few years! I am back into the hobby big time now and have been on the go for just over a year now! I love to build anything really, normally SOTB builds but I am looking at starting to get more adventurous! :thumbs: I am very keen on 1/72 scale but am looking to get in to the 1/48 world and so on. I enjoy the variety of techniques that can used and the way you always find out something new, be it about the subject you are building or a new technique. I look forward to helping out anyone that has any queries or question or even just fancies a chat! Since I started building again I have well and truly been bit by the Modelling Bug…. And my bank Account shows it!! :lol: Onwards and Upwards Chaps!
Cheers

Boo boo (aka Jamie)

'The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down!' - Yeager

Psi

Post by Psi » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:14 pm

Simon, Si, Psi, just north of York. Out of building for a long time but started out on the blister pack Airfix and Matchbox - which I loved. First kit was an Airfix Hunter from the Black Arrows team when I was about 5. Remember trying to put the bombs or rockets where the front wheel well was. Right mess!

In the process of setting up a proper workspace in the Garage so I can get my stash away from my wife who doesn't understand and keep the little bits away form the kids!! Into anything Russian and differens schemes such as Tiger Meet or special one off's. Used to hate F-16's but went to Poland and saw their block 52's and then Kinetic brought out their range. I have a number now and another AM on the way :unsure:

Have a few boats, some military and am not bothered if it is 72nd, 48th, 32/35 or 24th, if I like the look of the subject, thats all that matters. I also like trawling evilbay for bargain aftermaket stuff. Recent additions are 48th set's for a nuclear and biological Mi-24, E/A-18G Growler and Mig-21 f-13 (it will be some time before I start that one).

Just joined the local modeling group to see if I can get inspiration and a bit extra social (I am doing the Christmas competition and February sees a guest from MDC). Couldn't get to Telford this year but saving now for IPMS Wakefield in Feb, but think it is time Shaun gives an in box review of that Mirage 2000 he bought! :lol: :lol:

Just thought - keep up the reviews, build progress and finished items. Perhaps by this time next year I will have a couple worth posting. :whistle:

viper3111

Post by viper3111 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:40 pm

For those who dont know me, Im shaun, 30 something and come from the fens.

My main interest in the hobby is in 48th with some 32nd scale thrown in. I enjoy building anything that catches my eye like JASDF F-4's &15's as I like the colourfull schemes.

I like to use after market stuff (mainly decals) but I dont always use them as I find it a bit of a challenge to detail it with just paint and leftovers :lol: . I tend to build Hasegawa, revell, kinetic, classic airframes and of coarse airfix.

I enjoy looking for kits just as much as building them.

so thats my hobby in a nut shell :lol:

benyboy

Post by benyboy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:42 pm

Thank you for the heads up on IPMS Wakefield, Psi, i had no idea it was on. Might see you there :thumb:

Hi all. I`m Ben, from Howden, East Yorkshire. I met a few people from the forum at Newark a few months ago. A great day out. Thank you to Shaun for the lift and sorry again to every body for being in your Bucc pics. ( see avatar :roll: )
I have been building from about 5 with dad and uncles. First kits I can remember was a yellow plastic Storch built with decals but no paint :D and a Mustang that was put in front of the fire to dry and turned into a mangled mess :lol: it did make a great crash diorama a few years later. By the time I left High School I must have had close to 200 models on my shelves. But then I found other things to do and did not build again untill last Christmas when I got the Airfix BBMF set. I enjoyed building it though I was supprised to find that i am not as good as when I was at school :S :D
You may notice I hang around this part of the forum a lot but do not post many builds. I am here to learn and also enjoy the friendly atmosphere in the modeling section and Forum as a whole :thumb:
I have recentley realised I seem to like kits more than building. This is something I never understood before. Why would you have a big pile of kits and not build them :S But I do like having them so I am trying to set up a little thing selling kits to fund this strange hobby :D

see you all at the next meet.

Ben :thumb:

Psi

Post by Psi » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:55 pm

benyboy wrote:Thank you for the heads up on IPMS Wakefield, Psi, i had no idea it was on. Might see you there :thumb:
IPMS Wakefield and District (20th Feb)
Huddersfield sports centre
Southgate
Huddersfield
10.00 - 5.00
(£3)

S.

MarkG

Post by MarkG » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:26 pm

Hi all, I'm Mark and have the misfortune of living right next to the Brize Norton runway :lol: :thumb:
Growing up in the 70's, I remember the last years of the Cold War and as a result I have this fascination with RussianAF aircraft from that period :)
As far as modelling goe's, I like Cold War/Vietnam era to present day military aircraft. I'd like to get more into 1/48th though and start adding some detail to my kits to be honest..so any advice you experienced lot have, dont hesitate to comment,its all greatly appreciated :thumbs:
I remember the first kit I ever made, I was about 8 and the old man had bought me an Airfix 1/72 Sea Hawk! Two or three years later I went to my first airshow..RAF Abingdon..I've been hooked on aviation ever since :D
Another main interest of mine is photography, something else I started when I was young :)
Formerly Beer Monster

xl426painter

Post by xl426painter » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:33 pm

hi all my name is simon and i build mainly 48th 32nd 35th 24th scales i have been building models since i was 4 and i am now 42 my father and i used to run the modelling dept at the mosquito museum london colney i used to have models on display there but now i build them and put them in the loft when finished waiting for the model show at milton keynes and shuttleworth shows also when i get the time i paint the bits for vulcan xl426 at southend airport here is a vid thats me painting the wheel and doing the rivets in the counterpoise pylon plus refitting the nose undercarrige door which i painted http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J499D8eUuM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; thanks simon
Last edited by xl426painter on Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

http://www.mainlymilitary.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:48 am

Hi all,
Geoff Duke checking in as a lurker for now.

Have been active in the UKAR modelling section but a few of lifes frustrations have been getting in my way. Getting over the main problem with my back but aiming to get back big style in the new year.

Mostly build 1/72 but 1/144 and 1/200 for the larger types. I would like to say i only do one theme but my 100+ stash includes anything WWII to date from the RAF/RN, USAF/USN, Russian, NATO from mainly Airfix, Revell, Hobbyboss, Hasegawa and Fujimi. I build mostly SOTB but add aftermarket decals and recently resin pods.

As for a favourite aircraft to build? Well my formative years were spent watching Phantoms at Leuchars and just love the Fujimi FG1/FGR2s. However with Airfix upping their game, the new Spitfire and Hurricanes are superb for a weekend build!!!
Arabest,
Geoff.

viper3111

Post by viper3111 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:45 am

Welcome to the section ArabJazzie and xl426painter, I look forward to seeing some builds/finished models from you both :thumb:

Flyingmonster

Post by Flyingmonster » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:53 am

Just Echoing what Viper has said.... Welcome! :thumb:
Cheers

Boo boo (aka Jamie)

deerhunter

Post by deerhunter » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:44 am

Hi

Dave from Rochdale, halfway through a wellington in 1/72. Not built for at least 40 years (I`m 62 and retired :clap: :clap: )

Have done loads of military figures over the years mainly Knights Templar and Knights Hospitallers in 90 and 70mm.

Mainly interested though in low flying and wildlife (deer and seals) photography
Canon 5D Mk4 plus long lenses, and lots of hope!

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

tc2324

Post by tc2324 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:45 am

My names Tony, I`m nearly 40 and as most of you know by now, I have a problem.... :lol:

I just can`t seem to make a model as it should be and much prefer to whif my way through life when it comes to model making and coming up with an alternate reality story to match my madness in plastic..... :whistle: :blush: Perhaps I should change my name to Walter Mitty....?? :lol:

`Nuff said`....... ;)
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

Cherokee Rose

Post by Cherokee Rose » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:33 pm

I'm Sandra.

I'm just a beginner with 7 model completed. All are brush painted so they take a bit longer for me to build. Will have to take some photo's of them and post them on here at some stage. I mostly do 1/72 scale with a couple of 1/144 and 1/200 scale for the transports, bombers etc. Just interested in military aircraft except biplanes, don't think I've got that much patience to deal with rigging etc :roll:.

Got a couple of themes I am hopefully going to develop with Spanish and Canadian AF's, US aggressor and Russian WWII.

Don't usually buy resin, usually stick to what's in the box, but do like buying decals.

At the moment I've got 3 kits on the go:- Revell Bell 412, Esci F-4C and Hasegawa F-16D.

Enjoy looking at everyone's completed and WIP models, and all the tips etc. Really good stuff.

Cheers,
CR.

Ben Montgomery

Post by Ben Montgomery » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:48 pm

Well, as everyone else has made the effort, guess I should! :P

As my username suggests, I'm Ben, and a second year Aeronautical Engineering student at Loughborough University.

This, as fun as it sounds ( :unsure: ) severely limits my modelling time. For example, since acquiring my latest kit (a 1/48 B-1B for the Competition), I havnt even completed the cockpit in around seven weeks.

During the holidays I'll check in more, as I get a bit more free time, which is nice!

In terms of modelling, I'm mostly a USAF 1/48 type guy - current on-the-go kits are a 1/48 F-15E and 1/48 B-1B. I've also yet to finish my long term AC-130U (again in 1/48) and the lovely Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk.IXc. So you can probably see I've got a short interest span - keep moving onto more models before finishing the old ones (a VERY bad habit!).

I've been doing models since about 2000, and must have built several hundred in that time (although most of these were shocking, and were summarily executed by Air Rifle).

I do love seeing what goes on in this model section, really inspiring stuff!

Ben

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:15 pm

I'm Scott, 37 years old(38 next Tuesday so PM me for my address that you may want to sends any kits to :whistle: ).

Anyway I live away up North in Inverness, and have been into Military aviation since I was a nipper, it's was pretty hard to avoid being born and then growing up in Elgin.

I've been into modelling off and on since the age of 8ish, although my first kit was one of the QE2 :blush: I quickly turned to aircraft. I've been back into the hobby for the past 3 years and build exclusively in 1/48. I use AM products on all of my builds particularly resin, photo etch and I always use AM decals as I feel that most kit decals aren't worth putting on a kit that you've just spent 3 months of hard graft on, there are some exceptions of course.

I tend to build post 60's Fast jets and try and build them away from the normal schemes and Air Arms that you see, at the moment I'm having a bit of a Hellenic fetish as you may have noticed ,but I have some non Hellenic stuff planned for next year.

Over the years I've built up quite a knowledge of Modern Military aviation and modelling references so feel free to ask if you're stuck (of course I don't know everything).

markmarples

Post by markmarples » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:31 pm

well i guess most of you know me know im mark im 31 im an ex-RAF medic, now a mental health nurse working at Rampton high secure hospital, enought said, and as for models, let me think.....

HAWKS HAWKS AND MORE HAWKS :blush:

anything to do with hawks i have over 1000+ hawk photos and have embarked on a project to make all 184 RAF Hawk T1's and possibly a few more in special sceems scale is mostly 1/72 due to cost but i do like 1/48's, if anyone needs anything to do with hawks please let me know if i cant help i know people who can :thumb:

jamesv9820

Post by jamesv9820 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:53 pm

Afternoon Guys (and Cherokee Rose)

I am James, I am 31 and always had an interest in avaition ever since my parents took my brother and I to the famous Air Fete, Mildenhall in the late 80's. I also remember watching the Red Arrows perform over Lyme Bay, Lyme Regis when I was little, thinking it was cool! I used to build models with my brother at home, using the old humbrol glue and acrylic paints thinking they were so good (I found some in my loft the other week and they were pretty ****). Anyway, I strayed away from aircraft into 1:24 Plastic trucks in my teenage years, went to University and kind of lost touch with modelling for a while.

In 2007, my enthusiam for aviation and also photography was re ingnited when I accepted a job near Lakenheath, and a seroius amount of money was paid to Canon, then revell, airfix etc... as my taste for plastic modelling came back. Since then I have not looked back, I have converted my shed as my office (lovingly called the 'pit by my fiancee) where I spend most of my time these days.

I mainly build 48th Scale kits but I do love the 32nd scale and have a lot of tamiya and trumpeter kits in the stash that will come out soon. I also review for http://www.scalemodellingnow.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and also build a fair few commission builds for people as well. I am happy to build SOTB or use resin/PE etc and always up for a challenge.

Good to see many people contribute on here, it is a really friendly forum and Shaun and now Jamie do an excellent job here, so from me and the other members, thank you for developing this section of FC and long may it continue.

dazp79

Re: Introduce yourselves

Post by dazp79 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:29 pm

Hi,
Im daz,thirty years old and live near stratford upon avon (a far cry from my childhood living just outside chipping norton watching varks fly over the house all day and night!) anyway i like to build 1/72 jets and props,anything thats a bagain really!. currently building an old airfix F-111E UH markings. Only been building since i was ill a few months ago to kill some time but now i am firmly hooked, the F-111 is my tenth kit and getting better with each one, although i think the missus is getting a bit jarred off with the shelves being filled with models :Oops:
Hav`nt had chance to put any in finished builds yet but will get round to it soon.

Flyingmonster

Re: Introduce yourselves

Post by Flyingmonster » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:30 pm

dazp79 wrote:Hi,
Im daz,thirty years old and live near stratford upon avon (a far cry from my childhood living just outside chipping norton watching varks fly over the house all day and night!) anyway i like to build 1/72 jets and props,anything thats a bagain really!. currently building an old airfix F-111E UH markings. Only been building since i was ill a few months ago to kill some time but now i am firmly hooked, the F-111 is my tenth kit and getting better with each one, although i think the missus is getting a bit jarred off with the shelves being filled with models :Oops:
Hav`nt had chance to put any in finished builds yet but will get round to it soon.
Welsome to the section mate! Look forward to seeing your Stuff :thumb:
Cheers

Boo boo (aka Jamie)

Return to “Modelling Community”