Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Davis Monthan Overflights

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
JAWS

Davis Monthan Overflights

Post by JAWS » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:47 pm

Can anyone give me any details on company's offering over flights of AMARC as I am planning on making a trip for the DM Air Show in March and would also like to do a flight over the AMARC facility. Anyone already done one of the flights and have any advice I would be grateful. Thanks.
Regards Steve............

"If the Military had to make money, they'd be doomed !!"
Chuck Adams, Buffalo Airlines.

Lord Baha

Re: Davis Monthan Overflights

Post by Lord Baha » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:16 pm

Hi Stevie.I've overflown Davis Monthan AFB on a couple of occasions with a great outfit at Tucson Airport by the name of Double Eagle Aviation.Their web address is http://www.2-eagle.com/On" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; one occasion I went with a couple of mates and Double Eagle were very helpful by making numerous overflights of different areas of the installation.Only trouble was I asked the pilot if he could bring the Cessna 172 around as I was sitting on the wrong side of the aircraft and he obliged by standing the little darling on it's wingtip and we were looking straight down at the desert floor!! :unsure: :blush: My mate in the back of the plane didn't bother videoing after that and looked kind of green around the gills.Last time I went up with them in the mid 90s I was taken aloft by a guy that used to be stationed at Upper Heyford!!He even let me crack open the window a little to get better views and then kindly pointed out that there was an A-10 below us.I just replied "Yeah I see them",thinking he meant the ones sitting on the desert floor until I saw a Hog flying right to left underneath us!!!Anyway mate I think they will most likely be your best bet as they seem to take up enthusiasts all the time.Hope this info helps in some way.Best Regards,Dave...

GOOSE

Post by GOOSE » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:07 am

Another vote for Double Eagle.

Just a thing to remember too. Your pilot will tell you the height(s) you will overfly DM at. He may say 4000ft, you'll think, that's a bit high but remember Tucson is quite high asl anyway.

JAWS

Post by JAWS » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:29 pm

Thanks for the info guys.
Regards Steve............

"If the Military had to make money, they'd be doomed !!"
Chuck Adams, Buffalo Airlines.

Fallon

Post by Fallon » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:55 pm

Double Eagle gets my vote too.
We flew twice with them, both occasions were top drawer.
Firstly, we were loitering overhead DM with cameras out when several F-18's decided to land. No pics available, doh.

The second time, our pilot said at some point, "You fellas don't mind if I throw it about a bit, do you?". "Nah, you carry on" was the reply. A 747-ish smooth DM overflight ensued until we returned to base. Our pilot then called "short finals", I looked at the alitmitere which described us downwind and at a 5000 feet situation. I'm no pilot but thought - "Eh?" - we then descended in a very tight wing tip right turn to the piano keys. "Oh", I thought. Fantastic.

I'd go again at the tip of a hat.
Regards,
Paul.

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”