Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Aviation Books to read

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.

Re: Aviation Books to read

Postby mark.alan.barnes » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:32 am

Finally read 'A Higher Call' then 'Wings on my Sleeve' and can gladly state that they are both excellent reads especially if read in that order.
mark.alan.barnes

Postby Sparts99 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:27 am

Have you read 'Sigh For A Merlin'? If you liked Wings On My Sleeve you'll like that too.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
Sparts99

Postby Thunder » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:45 am

Highy recommend "The First Heroes" the Extraordinary Story of the Doolittle Raid by Craig Nelson. Read it whilst in Iraq when there was nothing else to do at night. So good I read it twice back to back.
http://www.splashonemodelling.com/
Thunder

Postby paulh » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:54 pm

Picked up a copy of 'Buccaneer Boys' at the weekend from The Works in Grimsby priced at £7.00 :thumb:
I'm sure they will be available at their other outlets as well.

I also see they are available online at that price plus postage if anyone is interested.
(not started reading it yet).

Cheers Paul.
paulh

Postby Ryan22 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:39 pm

I picked up 'Tornado Boys' by Ian Hall and like the 'Lightning/Jaguar/Buccaneer etc Boys' titles, it is excellent. Done in a chronological format starting with the development flights through to fairly recent operations, the accounts from various pilots/WSOs/ground crew give a broad experience of the amazing Tonka and life on their relative squadrons. Some cracking photos to marvel at too. Well worth a read.
Ryan22

Postby MRTT » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:29 pm

Would also recommend 'Tornado Boys'- an excellent book! Has probably been mentioned before but I'd recommend 'Airshow' by Graham Hurley.
2017 Shows
Middle Wallop Gazelle Fly-In
Abingdon A&CS
Duxford May
Weston Super Mare
Swansea
Yeovilton
RIAT (Fairford)
Eastbourne
Herne Bay (TBC)
Biggin Hill
Duxford September
MRTT

Postby scottoz8 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:36 am

just finished reading The Fighting Cocks, an excellent read ,especially WW!, no armour,gyro sights, Sidewinder etc, along with
osprey;s 43 sqn great stuff
scottoz8

Postby nickowen » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:20 pm

I have just re-read 'Fate is the Hunter' by Ernest K Gann. "This is not a war story - and yet it is. Any tale in which the protagonists are so seriously threatened they may lose their lives demands an enemy capable of destruction."
Probably one of the three best books about flying ever written, along with St Exupéry's 'Wind, Sand and Stars' and 'Sagittarius Rising' by Cecil Lewis.
nickowen

Postby panta615 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:47 pm

I can highly recommend 'None Braver' by Michael Hirch.

A fantastic read that's well written and pretty inspiring too.
Goldstars allstars

Nikon D3200
18-55mm
55-300mm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilkinson615/
panta615

Postby powerslave » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:08 pm

Ryan22 wrote:I picked up 'Tornado Boys' by Ian Hall and like the 'Lightning/Jaguar/Buccaneer etc Boys' titles, it is excellent. Done in a chronological format starting with the development flights through to fairly recent operations, the accounts from various pilots/WSOs/ground crew give a broad experience of the amazing Tonka and life on their relative squadrons. Some cracking photos to marvel at too. Well worth a read.

Reading this at the moment,just finished the John Peters section about training to fly with nukes.
Interesting and sobering to read, after they all had been evaluated on readiness and timings and millions of other things,once they took off the ex ended.
All the crews knew that there was nothing to come back to,everything would have been turned to dust.They also knew they probably would'nt have returned anyway.

ian
powerslave

Postby Blackcat1 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:37 pm

Sorry if it's been mentioned already but the most recent good books I've read are :- Tornado over the Tigris ,Jaguar, Harrier, Tornado and Lightning boys, another good book I read was by our sadly departed friend/FC member Sheff/Tim Laming ; called View from the cockpit, flying military aircraft.
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.
Blackcat1

Postby mikecc99 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:58 am

With the USAAF`s `darn 100th` featuring in a thread in the FC Mess, can I recommend a fine book called `A Wing and a Prayer` by Harry H Crosby (Publisher Robson Books).
Crosby survived 37 missions as a navigator on the B-17s, mainly out of Thorpe Abbotts.
mikecc99

Postby mikecc99 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:01 am

Sorry, don`t know how `darn` got in there unless there is a filter on potential swearwords?? Anyway the 100th Bomb Group ofcourse, part of the US Eighth Air Force
mikecc99

Postby 114PM » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:27 am

Sorry for being slightly off topic, but I didn't know where else to write my question ...

Is there any book or website about the Harrier, where one can see the exact type for a specific date?
For example, ZGxxx was modificated in May 2010 to a GR.9A, ZGyyy was modificated in April 2008 to a GR.7 etc.

Many thank's in advance!

Regards
Marcus
114PM

Postby Ryan22 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:31 pm

An excellent book I've just finished is 'MacRobert's Reply' by Philip Hamlyn Williams with Philip Jeffs (the son of Donald Jeffs, the sole survivor of the Short Stirling 'MacRobert's Reply' shot down over Denmark). With the upcoming disbandment of XV(R) Squadron, this book has taken on an increased sense of poignancy. Well worth seeking out on Amazon.
Ryan22

Postby awacsfan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:06 pm

Just a question to the forum here.... has anybody maybe read the book Spyflights and Overflights: US Strategic Aerial Reconnaissance, 1945-1960 by Robert Hopkins yet? I've noticed this book on the internet but contrary to many other books, no "inside view" is available and I was wondering if it's a good read? Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
My photos at Airfighters.com
My photos at Airliners.net
My photos at Planepictures.net
awacsfan

Postby sploosher » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:42 pm

Here is my latest purchase........... ;)

Just got to wait for these to be published.............. :D

From Jet Provost to Strikemaster
31st May 2017
http://grubstreet.co.uk/product/from-je ... ikemaster/

Phantom Boys 2
31st July2017
http://grubstreet.co.uk/product/phantom-boys-2/

Javelin Boys
29th September 2017
http://grubstreet.co.uk/product/javelin-boys/
Please feel free to visit my flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/35699306@N04/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sony A700, A550, Minolta135,500 a/f mirror, Sigma 10-20,400, Sony 18-70,50, Tamron 17-50,28-300,70-300,90
sploosher

Postby 06L » Mon May 01, 2017 5:44 pm

114PM wrote:Sorry for being slightly off topic, but I didn't know where else to write my question ...

Is there any book or website about the Harrier, where one can see the exact type for a specific date?
For example, ZGxxx was modificated in May 2010 to a GR.9A, ZGyyy was modificated in April 2008 to a GR.7 etc.

Many thank's in advance!

Regards
Marcus

Try this Marcus - http://www.harriersig.org.uk/reference/ ... ev1105.pdf
Regards
06L
06L

Previous

Return to The Fighter Control Mess