Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Aviation Books to read

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
johnhowe

Re: Aviation Books to read

Post by johnhowe » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:31 am

On the 26th, April, 1975 an S2 GR1 Jaguar lands on British Motorway. for further details see Warton log.

uppergreen1

Post by uppergreen1 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:48 am

warton logs,is that a book??

johnhowe

Post by johnhowe » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:06 pm

uppergreen1 wrote:warton logs,is that a book??
:unsure: :clap: :thumbs: :O

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:06 pm

John Howe ? I'm reading 'Upward and Onward: Life of Air Vice Marshal John Howe' at the moment. Ridiculously good bargain for the Kindle, very good read, none of the 'there I was upside down with nothing on the clock' stuff, but a very interesting read, starting with SAAF in Korea on F-51s, I've got as far as introducing the Lightning into service with 74 Sqn, plenty more to go, USAF exchange and CO of 228 OCU to come. Highly recommended.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Sluffer

Post by Sluffer » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:24 pm

Squadron Prints wrote:We are all like minded aviation people and many of us loved the F-4, I am not sure if you have seen this! For those looking for an appropriate aviation related Christmas gift you could try this!
http://deegeemedia.webeden.co.uk/#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can recommend this book too, it's a very good and insightful read. One of my tea breaks was inadvertently extended as I'd had my head buried in the book lol.

Started reading Phantom From The Cockpit by Peter Caygill, been impressed with it so far.
Sheep are for life, not just sunday dinner.

johnhowe

Post by johnhowe » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:24 am

johnhowe wrote:Flying in Lancashire from Samlesbury and Warton Aerodromes volumes 1 & 2 by James H Longworth for a fuller
description see Warton Logs. Frank.
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=73619 See post by I Lawrenson on how to obtain both volumes
from BAE Heritage Department

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:34 am

Both David Gledhill and Peter Caygill have done book signings at Newark Air Museum this year the Museum Shop may still have signed copies available!
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

TankBuster

The Life Story Of An Essex Boy

Post by TankBuster » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:48 am

This interesting little book has recently been released by the current owner of the Earls Colne Business park (Previously Earls Colne Airfield).

"This book details my life, from 1935 when I was born the son of a milkman and a housemaid, right up to the present day, aged 78, where I am now the owner of Earls Colne business park, golf course and leisure facilities. During my life I have embarked on many business ventures, from selling cars to fur farming. Some of my entrepreneurial endeavours have been successful but along the way there have been moments which have almost ruined me. Fowl pest, myxomatosis, fire, I've had it all! But thankfully I have also had unbelievable bouts of luck which have allowed me to persevere and prosper beyond my wildest expectations. I have now found myself in a very fortunate position which means I am surrounded by my family and I have been able to provide a good life for all of them. The hard work I have put in, the good and bad choices that I have made, and the luck which has befallen on me, have all resulted in me achieving my childhood dream of becoming a successful farmer, and this in turn has led to me becoming a successful businessman and developer."

Of interest to us aviation enthusiasts the book also includes information and photographs of Earls Colne during wartime, when it was home to B-26 marauders of the 323rd bomb group USAAF and later Halifaxes of 296th & 297th Sqns RAF. Of interest the author also recalls his time serving with the RAF on treble one squadron, during the Hawker Hunters 'Black Arrows' era.

Its a lovely book to read. And the best thing of all, is that all proceeds from the book wil be donated to 'The Essex Air Ambulance', which is currently based at Earls Colne.

The book costs £10 + p&p & can be purchased directly from the Essex Air Ambulance office on, Tel: 08452417690.

TankBuster
And there's plenty more where that came from!

EGDR

Post by EGDR » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:50 pm

Just reading a book about the V Bombers. Really highly detailed, and not bad for a quid from the charity shop, the only thing is that last time I checked on Amazon it was £150 new :roll: :roll:

stephanie08

Re: Aviation Books for sale

Post by stephanie08 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:22 pm

Hi I have 2 books I am selling Spitfire Topgun parts 1 & 2 signed by the Squadron & Pilots. Part 1 is also signed by Lady Badar. Anyone knowing of these books will know that they were written by Dilip Sarkar. Lady Bardar's Signature is worth £100 alone so I am looking for around £150 for both books. I know they would go for more at Auction but I would like to see what interest I get on here first. If your interested please call me on 07581082734. These books are in Mint Condition and brand new. ...Neil Grant

Mike

Re: Aviation Books for sale

Post by Mike » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:00 pm

stephanie08 wrote:Hi I have 2 books I am selling Spitfire Topgun parts 1 & 2 signed by the Squadron & Pilots. Part 1 is also signed by Lady Badar. Anyone knowing of these books will know that they were written by Dilip Sarkar. Lady Bardar's Signature is worth £100 alone so I am looking for around £150 for both books. I know they would go for more at Auction but I would like to see what interest I get on here first. If your interested please call me on 07581082734. These books are in Mint Condition and brand new. ...Neil Grant
Neil, it would be better to put this advert in the For sale/wanted section :- viewforum.php?f=109
Who is Lady Badar/Bardar? Are you referring to Group Captain Douglas Bader's widow?

robmac

Post by robmac » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:56 pm

on yankee station is a good read.american carrier in veitnam

daveh

Post by daveh » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:19 pm

I,m having a clear out of books all free to good home, Battle for Britain the recolections of W/com H R Dizzy Allen DFC,Fighter Pilot by Paul Richey DFC, The battle for the Falklands by B Hanrahan &R Fox, The Ghost of Flight 401 by J G Fuller, The Day of the Typhoon by J.Golley, Cheshire VC by Russel Braddon, two fictions The Purple Plain by H E Bates and the Shepherd by Fredrick Forsyth. If the weather is fit i should be at Coningsby next week look for santa in a 4x4 pejero or pm me .

daveh

Post by daveh » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:00 pm

Ref last message books now passed on.

stevep22

Post by stevep22 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:41 pm

Just come off the back of reading Kevin Wilson's trilogy 'Bomber Boys', 'Men of Air' and 'Journeys End'. What astonishing reads they are, an excellent tribute to the members of Bomber Command during the war. In many places moving and harrowing and enough to have you blinking back tears at times. Everyone should read these books.

Steve

Trenchard

Post by Trenchard » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:17 am

Hi folks, there is a new book by Rowland White, named ‘The Big Book of Flight’. It’s been out for a while now, and is a departure from his previous histories, so if you’re looking for something like Vulcan 607 or Phoenix Sqn this is maybe not what you’re searching for.

During the time he has been researching other subjects he’s come upon a lot of other info, which is not enough on its own to make a whole story but when put together makes a quirky, but interesting collection of information both military and Civil. For instance, the book contains info on the various phonetic alphabets, to the duties of a flight deck officer, the story of airline food to ‘Aurora the next spy plane or not?’, a bit about the XB70 Valkyrie and even a piece outlining in a graphic format the formations of the Red Arrows over the years. For the ‘older’ generation (yes like me! :whistle: ) it’s also fun to look at some of the illustrations, recall the smell of glue and paint, and recall long forgotten box tops from Airfix kits.

It’s a fun book that sits easily on the coffee table and can fill those minutes when ‘X Factor’ or ‘Britain Might Have Talent’ are ending and something decent comes on ( Like Cold War – Hot Jets – this weekend, don’t forget ;) ) with a few moments to refresh yourself with a subject or even learn something new. Should you be struggling for a Christmas pressie idea for a younger aviation minded person then this could be a perfect gift.

320 pages, monochrome and colour photo’s and illustrations throughout, ISBN 978-0-593-07031-4, should be available through your local book shop :)
GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

"Flexibility is the key to air power"

stevep22

Post by stevep22 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:01 pm

Nice plug Trenchard. Are you Rowland White in disguise.......? :P

Trenchard

Post by Trenchard » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:41 pm

Are you Derek F? he asked the same on UKAR :lol:

No I thought I'd share my thoughts on a book I read and liked.
GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

"Flexibility is the key to air power"

stevep22

Post by stevep22 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:23 pm

No but Derek F and I seem to have a similar (and obvious) sense of humour. Read on...........

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:42 am

Just finished 'Special Forces Pilot' by Richard Hutchings, an account of his experience as a Sea King Pilot during the Falklands war. Very interesting and a real eye opener, especially as it dovetails with Sharkey Ward's book and Vulcan 607.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”